Why become a member? ×

New For Harley Benton Fans

stewblack

22 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Sunburst. Maybe they're heavier. I've seen the bass quoted as being around 8lbs which is a good kg lighter. I expect there to be some variance in weight between basses, but surely not this much.

I have a sunburst Jazz which is older and a real . The 2 pickup version of the musicman style bass and that's pretty heavy too.

Maybe the all black ones are from a new run using lighter materials. I don't know but I have the P Bass and MM bass in the Stealth Black and both are a beautiful weight. 

4 minutes ago, Basscabman said:

Stew Is the neck on the 2 pickup MM one a lot fatter than the Stealth black MM one?

Totally. Big round profile like on their 50s p bass. The black one is like a jazz neck. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

Sunburst. Maybe they're heavier. I've seen the bass quoted as being around 8lbs which is a good kg lighter. I expect there to be some variance in weight between basses, but surely not this much.

I had a the 5 string sunburst and it had a monster neck on it, I`m thinking for the black ones they may have revised the profile of the necks, certainly the 4 string I`ve now got is really comfortable and quite shallow, maybe some extra weight is coming from the chunky neck?

3 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

I suspect that the sunburst and black versions are essentially 'different' models commisioned at different times perhaps at different factories and likely different specs to some extent. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

I have a sunburst Jazz which is older and a real . The 2 pickup version of the musicman style bass and that's pretty heavy too.

Maybe the all black ones are from a new run using lighter materials. I don't know but I have the P Bass and MM bass in the Stealth Black and both are a beautiful weight. 

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

I suspect that the sunburst and black versions are essentially 'different' models commisioned at different times perhaps at different factories and likely different specs to some extent. 

2 hours ago, DarkHeart said:

I had a the 5 string sunburst and it had a monster neck on it, I`m thinking for the black ones they may have revised the profile of the necks, certainly the 4 string I`ve now got is really comfortable and quite shallow, maybe some extra weight is coming from the chunky neck?

I suspect so. Come to think of it, the lighter weight quotes seem to be taken from the black version. I have the HB B-450 and B-650 too, and the depth of the neck on them is almost half that of the MB-4. The tuning pegs are like huge metal monoliths, so they add to the weight too.

Edited by TheLowDown

This conversation has had me playing my MM-84A SB. What a tone selection. This thing really puts it out there. I'm not so keen on maple boards which is why I perhaps don't pick it up as often as my other instruments. But boy I like this bass.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stewblack said:

This conversation has had me playing my MM-84A SB. What a tone selection. This thing really puts it out there. I'm not so keen on maple boards which is why I perhaps don't pick it up as often as my other instruments. But boy I like this bass.

Whats your favourite harley benton?

Just now, jassbass said:

Whats your favourite harley benton?

It kind of changes but probably the all black P Bass. Just because it has it all. Ridiculous price, stunning to look at, perfect balance, nice weight, easy to play, sounds like a P Bass should.

I suppose it's fair to say all boxes ticked.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, stewblack said:

It kind of changes but probably the all black P Bass. Just because it has it all. Ridiculous price, stunning to look at, perfect balance, nice weight, easy to play, sounds like a P Bass should.

I suppose it's fair to say all boxes ticked.

I just got the pb20 sbk

I really like the mb4 sbk but out of stock 

29 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Very good! It looks like you’ve applied a gloss clear coat. What did you use, may I ask?

This, from Amazon:

Screenshot_20201210-093858_1607593178044.jpg

It seemed to work quite well - I'm sure that there's better out there, but I'm hardly a pro luthier / spray-painter!

:) 

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1