Why become a member? ×

New For Harley Benton Fans

stewblack

I have the burst version of this model, it is indeed a great bass despite some drawbacks. The neck dives, but there is no T-bird shaped bass that doesn''t. The bridge on mine went straight to the bin while I was doing a refin, loved the looks but wouldn't live with the way it adjusts, what where they thinking!? The neck is set so no swapping with a lefty model.                                              This is what it looks like now.

20200513_161800.jpg

20200513_162101.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I'm not surprised the neck dives with the bridge so far forward; it's like the old Warmoth T-bird bodies...it's the price for upper fret access...

My Fenderbird doesn't dive, but then it's had a fair bit done to it...

On 25/09/2020 at 11:24, stewblack said:

@Muzz I've been meaning to ask for a while now. I often read here how poor these bridges are, but I'm too technically deficient to understand whats wrong with them.

In fact bridges in general are a bit of a closed book to me. I understand the problem with them bending or lifting, but otherwise don't know what makes a good or bad one. 

I am commissioning a builder soon so I need to swat up on all of this. 

Those bridges are hard to adjust properly, there's no individual string height movement, and the saddles (and adjusting screws) fall out the minute the string tension is released. A terrible piece of engineering.

The Hipshot Supertone and Babicz versions bolt straight into the mounting holes and are night and day better.

The original Thunderbird bridges still had no individual string height adjustment, but at least, being an upscale of the Les Paul-type bridge, they were a two-piece where the saddles didn't fall out...

For my money, (tho I've never had a Babicz bridge, they look well-engineered*), the best is the Schaller 3D. They suit me because I rest the side of my right hand on the bridge a lot and they're very sleek, but they also have string spacing adjustment...

* I keep thinking I might try one on my Fenderbird and move the Supertone on...

• Thanks 1

Look awesome...

Here hoping Harley Benton will open their eyes to the popularity that short scale basses have got in recent years and make a proper short scale bass, as instead of their only current sorry excuse for one, the ultra budget 30" scale, only 19 frets, P bass.

Ideally a 24 frets, 28,6" scale (like the Ibanez Mikro, Squier Mini P, Jackson Minion and ESP LTD B-4 JR, all currently on the market, as well as the now discontinued Fender Precision Bass Junior, which I guess the Squier is inspired by), perhaps featuring a Music Man pickup in the P pickup, kind of middle, position, or how about just taking the killer looking Thunderbird inspired bass of the OP, shrink it down a bit and slap on a 24 fret neck that'll add up with the 28,6" scale length.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DarkHeart said:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_4_sbk_deluxe_series.htm 

This looks rather tasty, if they did an active version I`d be sorely tempted but just might take a punt as a base for mods.

You do wonder with stuff like this whether it would be worth someone using this for a customising project.  You'd struggle to get a finished MM style body at that price.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

You do wonder with stuff like this whether it would be worth someone using this for a customising project.  You'd struggle to get a finished MM style body at that price.

I`m now thinking rather than a pre amp maybe routing it out for a neck pup, maybe a reverse P or another mm style humbucker with vvt and maybe coil taps and keeping it passive?

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 14:03, subdude said:

I have the burst version of this model, it is indeed a great bass despite some drawbacks. The neck dives, but there is no T-bird shaped bass that doesn''t. The bridge on mine went straight to the bin while I was doing a refin, loved the looks but wouldn't live with the way it adjusts, what where they thinking!? The neck is set so no swapping with a lefty model.                                              This is what it looks like now.

20200513_161800.jpg

20200513_162101.jpg

That blue is a great colour for a 'bird, mind 👍  Reminds me of Fender's old 'Maui Blue' a bit. 

• Like 1

Well it's here, first impressions, I seriously like the stealth paint and for once the tort guard is growing on me, neck is not as chunky as other HB's I've owned in fact it's quite similar to my 4 string Alpher maybe only fractionally deeper its straight, no sharp ends and the frets seem to be quite level. Pickup isn't bad for the money, remember it's £118! The tuners tune and the bridge is functional but not brilliant but like I said it's £118, would I recommend one for a beginner? Definitely, would I recommend one in general? Without a doubt, it's a bargain!

20201118_143013.jpg

20201118_143025.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 20/09/2020 at 16:56, DarkHeart said:

Put an extra strap button on the heel and use a wide suede backed strap.

With a T-Bird, if you just run the strap over the front of the bass, it pushes down on the lower bout and neck dive is non-existent. It just sticks in place and doesn't budge!

37 minutes ago, DarkHeart said:

Well it's here, first impressions, I seriously like the stealth paint and for once the tort guard is growing on me, neck is not as chunky as other HB's I've owned in fact it's quite similar to my 4 string Alpher maybe only fractionally deeper its straight, no sharp ends and the frets seem to be quite level. Pickup isn't bad for the money, remember it's £118! The tuners tune and the bridge is functional but not brilliant but like I said it's £118, would I recommend one for a beginner? Definitely, would I recommend one in general? Without a doubt, it's a bargain!

20201118_143013.jpg

20201118_143025.jpg

How wide is the neck at the nut?

• Like 1