Why become a member? ×

What sandpaper required for sanding back the neck?

wishface

FWIW I used a fine grade sandpaper (400 or higher) and then finished it with nothing.  I did it with some care and didn't try to to get back to the wood, just 'flat it down' a tad. Why put anything on?  You've just gone to some effort to take it off.

I used fine Steel wool ("000") on the neck of my Squier. just enough to have a "satin" surface but leaving a protection for the wood.

- I isolated the neck from the body with a piece of fabric and covered the pickups with masking tape.  Why ? the pickup magnets "love" the steel dust 🙂 and once the dust is on the magnet, it's there for eternity....

- I used masking tape one the edge of the rosewood fretboard. Why ? : because too much enthusiasm is not always good 🙂

• Like 2

If you use emery or sand paper, stick it to a piece of softish foam with some double sided tape. Then it will be more inclined to follow the contour/shape of what you're sanding and less likely to create flat spots or remove finish unevenly.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 23:32, Geek99 said:

Yes - just takes the shine off without going through . Also good for relicing scratch plates. Buy a pack ad you go through them pretty quickly 

I tried before with some pads i beought from poundland, but i guess they weren't strong enough. Didn't do anything

2 hours ago, wishface said:

I tried before with some pads i beought from poundland, but i guess they weren't strong enough. Didn't do anything

You got them from Poundland and you think they may not be up to it... buy from Harrods next time, skinflint 

• Haha 2

I prefer to Wet n Dry the back of my necks - using various grades of sandpaper to get a silky finish ( wire/steel wool can break off and get everywhere round the bass...esp the magnets on your pickups) ....You can buy micromesh = brilliant stuff - online  from ebay/Robert Dyas, etc...…

Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax is a great finisher, but read the instructions, use a cloth or your finger (NOT a brush) layer by thin layer till you get it to where you want.... you can rub down in between applications too....but there must be a wood oil sealer which you can apply like the Stingray MusicMan basses use......