Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Thomann Slimline 3/4 Double Bass
£375
Teignmouth, South Devon

MrTea

I bought this mid way through last year at the start of my double bass adventures on this forum but since having picked up an eminance EUB and an old Stentor Student 3/4 I can no longer justify keeping it. 

Except for one small nick it's in the same condition it came to me in (I'm not sure it ever even left the house more than once). Strung with silver slaps and a pick up installed. No case or stand with this I'm afraid as I'll be keeping them but have adjusted the price (I hope fairly) accordingly. 

The original ad had all the details so I'll hopefully be ok to quote that here:

++++++++++++++

These basses are made for Thomann by Hora in Romania.  It's a standard 3/4 size bass but the body is only half the normal depth, so it's actually much easier to play.

• Top: Laminated arched spruce
  • Back: Laminated arched maple
  • Sides: Beech
  • Ebony fingerboard
  • 105cm scale length

It is strung with SIlver Slaps, and comes with a J-tone Big double bass twin pickup (£44).

I sanded and oiled the back of the neck to make it easier to play, which worked a treat.

The fingerboard started to come away at the edges but I had it checked over by Ian Robinson (when he was based at GB Music in Bognor) and he gave it all a clean bill of health and confirmed all was secure.

++++++++++++++++++

Just to be clear - the stand and case are NOT included in this sale (I'm hanging onto those). Collection only from Teignmouth, South Devon. 

Feel free to msg with any questions or offers but I'm looking for a sale rather than trades. 

PXL_20200919_190017411.jpg

PXL_20200919_190024388.jpg

PXL_20200919_190031752.jpg

PXL_20200919_190120907.jpg

Edited by MrTea
Sold
  • Like 2

Apologies for bumping this early but a £1 max selling fees offer from eBay means there is a good chance I'll also end up listing it on there this weekend. Wanted to flag it on here as would much rather sell to someone 'local' to this community. 

Hi,

I tried to PM you and the message wouldn't go through for some reason. Would you be as good as to give me the dimensions of the body at it's largest (lower bout? back to the front of the bridge?)  as my car may be too effete for the task of carrying it!

Many thanks. Perhaps if you could PM me to see if we can get in touch?

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by The fasting showman

Thought I'd chip in and help Mr Tea with this sale.

I was the original owner of this bass. It's an excellent gigging bass as the shallow depth of the body means it's much easier to transport and use of stage. It also sounds great.

Mr Tea is also a pleasure to deal with.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 3

Thank you @franzbassist

I've had a couple of nibbles but nothing solid. It sold once on eBay but the buyer raised enough red flags with me I cancelled the sale (payment via PayPal, travelling a long distance to collect at 5pm on a Sunday then suddenly her brother was collecting). If it had been the same story from someone on here I may have been less paranoid about it all! 

Nothing wrong with being a little cautious, I was selling a double bass a few years ago , potential buyer said they would collect it, then said they were sending someone because they were in Australia 😂 , then things got weird, so didn’t entertain further.

I’d have this if I didn’t live in a house too small 😭 good look with the sale anyway, it looks like a lovely bass at a fantastic price 👍

I tend to find that the suggestion of cancelling the sale is the acid test. Any serious buyer will usually argue to try and keep the sale going. Scammers and time wasters generally duck out quickly without a fuss. Anyway - best not get too distracted from the sale thread ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a possibility that I may be able to get this moved to just north of Cambridge early next week (w/c 26.10.20) if that helps a sale. I'll need to check the details as it'll be asking a favour of a guest we have coming to stay but thought it worth mentioning as I know our location far down the South West could be problematic for some.

Please private message me if this could help.