Why become a member? ×

Spector v Farida Advice Needed.

jackreacher193

Hi all, this is my first post!

I've got the attached spector bass, bought in UK about 20 years ago! Think its a basic model. Sadly it's sat in garage for most of that time and needs probably £80 spent on it for a service and new strings.

I've seen the attached Farida FJB20 jazz bass for sale for £250 and wondered if the extra £170 for this bass would give me something substantially better?

IMG-20200918-WA0000.jpeg

Screenshot_20200919-165103_Facebook.jpg

Edited by jackreacher193
error

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The FJB-20 is a belter, they can be heavy.

But you would struggle to find a better jazz for £250.

Havent seen one of those Spectors for years, remember them being in the shops.

Thanks, yes it was a long time ago. Don't see many with the 1 EMG HZ pickup. Ones on ebay for £400+ don't think I paid that for it.

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

But you would struggle to find a better jazz for £250.

For £250 secondhand, a Squier CV jazz, a Vintage VJ74 reissued, Squier VM jazz or a Relevation RJB67 to name a few, all can be had for less then £250 used and as good if not better than the Farida.

Would the Farida or any of the others listed be better, that's totally subjective. The jazz will give you a different sound to the Spector, again, would that be better, that's upto you, some may say yes, some no.

1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

For £250 secondhand, a Squier CV jazz, a Vintage VJ74 reissued, Squier VM jazz or a Relevation RJB67 to name a few, all can be had for less then £250 used and as good if not better than the Farida.

Would the Farida or any of the others listed be better, that's totally subjective. The jazz will give you a different sound to the Spector, again, would that be better, that's upto you, some may say yes, some no.

Farida made the classic vibes (the originals), their FJB-6 is the same bass as the CV60 bass with a satin (and slightly slimmer 21 fret) neck.

But all mentioned are lovely for not much cash.

Theres a killer Yamaha BB424x in the for sale section here at £240 ish, which is madness.

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Farida made the classic vibes (the originals), their FJB-6 is the same bass as the CV60 bass with a satin (and slightly slimmer 21 fret) neck.

Theres a killer Yamaha BB424x in the for sale section here at £240 ish, which is madness.

The Yammie is a PJ, the OP is talking about a jazz bass. There are however plenty of decent Yamaha basses with jazz pickups (bbn etc), as well as G&L tribute series - all sub £250 used, all as good if not better than the Farida. So plenty of decent jazz basses available sub £250!

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Have you got a link to the yamaha p bass for sale on here? Ta

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/09/2020 at 12:06, pbasspecial said:

Up for sale is a lovely white Yamaha BB424x. I recently bought it from Sparky Mark but it’s not getting the love it deserves as I’ve come to realise I’m definitely a P bass player. I’m guessing my name would give that away. It’s in great condition apart from a bit of obligatory minor headstock dings. 

Neck feels great and is fast, the pickups sound lovely. Lots of different tones. Unfortunately it’s just not for me. 

Hope Mark doesn’t mind but here is his original ad with a much better description and photos than I am capable of. Click on for details. 

09A25A81-FE23-4809-BA5F-5FFEB1360AB0.jpeg

1301A570-A47B-44A0-AA9A-DB94C2F38E54.jpeg

Yup

• Like 3

On 19/09/2020 at 17:30, hooky_lowdown said:

https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/vintage-vj74ssb-ejm96-bass-sunset-sunburst-p16588

Is that the Vintage VJ74 you mentioned?

Have a look at the Yamaha, definitely worth considering.

However, whether you get another bass or not, I would really get the Spector in to someone for a damn good look over / service / setup, as it's still looking decent after all this time in the garage.

• Like 1