Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS S450 amp - £200ono - *SOLD*
£300
Hatfield

TheGreek

I'm sorry to say that - despite all these really helpful explanations - I'm still not sure I understand.  I thought if you had 2 16ohm cabs, you could run them from an 8 ohm amp.  Are you saying that you can run three 16 ohm speakers (= 6ish ohm) from an 8 ohm amp, 6 being less than 8?  Or am I getting it completely the wrong way round (not by any means impossible)?

As a rule of thumb a SS amp should have a lower ohm rating than the cab(s) its driving.

So the 4ohm amp is fine with the 6ohm cab (or total cab configuration). 
An 8 ohm amp is not so fine with a 6 ohm cab (or total rated configuration).

I am no physicist though. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, petecarlton said:

I'm sorry to say that - despite all these really helpful explanations - I'm still not sure I understand.  I thought if you had 2 16ohm cabs, you could run them from an 8 ohm amp.  Are you saying that you can run three 16 ohm speakers (= 6ish ohm) from an 8 ohm amp, 6 being less than 8?  Or am I getting it completely the wrong way round (not by any means impossible)?

I don't know of many amps that will not accept a load impedance of less than 8 Ohm. They doubtless exist, but not common, I'd say. Many combos, on the other hand, have an 8 Ohm speaker in them, but a socket for connecting a second cab, usually 8 Ohm too, so the amp 'sees' 4 Ohm. Connecting this 6 Ohm cab in such a situation would bring the total 'seen' by the amp to less than the 4 Ohm minimum (3.2 Ohm, if it's really a 5.3 cab...). Some amps won't mind this, as speaker impedance is not a fixed value anyway (it depends on many factors in Real Life Conditions...), but would not be advisable for long-term reliable operation, I'd suggest.
Hope this helps. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2021 at 19:07, prowla said:

Could I suggest taking the amp out of the flight case (and saying flightcase & mounting kit available for free).

The thing looks awful on that Reverb ad, so that might improve the aesthetics. 🙂

That isn't this/my amp on the Reverb site - Italy I believe(?)..

New pics added.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • TheGreek changed the title to GET IT IN YER NEW YEARS SALE!!!! MARKBASS S450 amp - £200ono - REDUCED!!!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • TheGreek changed the title to MARKBASS S450 amp - £200ono
  • 9 months later...
  • TheGreek changed the title to MARKBASS S450 amp - £200ono - Open to trades - try me
  • 5 months later...
  • TheGreek changed the title to SOLD!! - MARKBASS S450 amp - £200ono