Why become a member? ×

Preorder incoming soon...Changed to the ugly sibling.

P-Belly Evans

Decided to go for the HH version instead. It's going to be my only 5 string so thought it would give me more tonal variety with the 5 way pickup selector. I have had to trade the versatility for the looks imho - its nowhere near as attractive, with the massive humbuckers on the white scratch plate but hey ho. Also it is difficult to slap on, but I was thinking I could just lower the neck pickup and use the rear one only for any slap I need to do (rarely ever live). All in all, very happy with it.... for 177 quid it's a bargain. It is easy to play (needs a bit of a tweak to the set up when I have time) and I have had no problems adapting to it at all to be honest. Even the floating thumb technique has come pretty naturally over the last couple of days. Gonna play it for a good while as everyone suggests, just to get the muscle memory tighter. 

Overall, a happy bunny. 

IMG_20201004_084316.thumb.jpg.afcaf247ae827280c6036a42aab27a67.jpg

Harley Benton have more of their MB5 SB basses back in stock in a couple of weeks after months out of stock. Just ordered one as I have got the itch to try a five string for the first time in 34 years.  115 whole English pounds. Possibly a tad dear but I though what the hell 😂.  As Stew (Benton) Black knows, I was thinking about an MM85, and it is no doubt a better bass spec wise, but the neck pickup position just seemed to be too friendly with the maple board. 

I will let you know if I was ripped off in due course🤣

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mb_5_sb_deluxe_series.htm

Edited by P-Belly Evans
Old age... dementia... OMG I put 24 instead of 34 years. Time fo a home
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

really fancy one of those...

It's a no brainer for the price. I am only a part time postie these days so cash is not readily available but 115 quid to have a bash on a 5 string......take my money please.  My days, if I hate it I can donate it to one of our cash strapped schools. Apparently my boys school had to strip the PTA's funds dry coz the government refused to pay for the broken down boilers to be replaced😳

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

2 grand, cos its 17.39 times better....!

Mine's probably 200 times better to me!! But mine has also been discontinued since 2016 - in fact the whole Classic and Old Smoothie ranges are discontinued so you can't get one unless someone deigns to sell their's - not mine btw!

image.thumb.jpeg.4cefdd2f5176558f142a46acccff5fce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6a9a71ade60e8a209ba3917d88a1a122.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.300e6c90a0f1101afdc6ecf4d367152c.jpeg

OP I hope you enjoy your Stingray Classic 5 style bass 😏 Sounds a good price. 

I have something similar. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cc9ffe5a0b624147311dd0c35ed60aaf.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

2 grand, cos its 17.39 times better....!

Exactly (and top maths BTW). But I also agree with drTStingray in the fact that I love my Gibson Thunderbird and even though I know it may not be true value for money, I find it utterly sublime and would never trade it for an epi + cash. I still want an old Smoothie more than anything, but needs must and 115 quid is hilarious money for a whole bass, regardless of quality. I can't wait to see if it is any good. 

• Like 2

I've  had a crack on the 4 string version and its a very decent instrument.  That is to say, not just a decent instrument for £105, but simply a decent instrument, full-stop.  The real deal is a wonderful tool, but it simply is not head and shoulders better spunding or playing than the HB.

I don't know what laws Harley Benton are breaking to make these basses as they do, how much crack they deal, how much money they launder, how many guns they smuggle, I'm happy to turn a blind eye to it if it means they can carry on as they do.  They make a mockery of the prices the big name manufacturers charge for their far eastern wares.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I've  had a crack on the 4 string version and its a very decent instrument.  That is to say, not just a decent instrument for £105, but simply a decent instrument, full-stop.  The real deal is a wonderful tool, but it simply is not head and shoulders better spunding or playing than the HB.

I don't know what laws Harley Benton are breaking to make these basses as they do, how much crack they deal, how much money they launder, how many guns they smuggle, I'm happy to turn a blind eye to it if it means they can carry on as they do.  They make a mockery of the prices the big name manufacturers charge for their far eastern wares.

That is really good to know.... cheers. I just can't wait to see if I bond with a five string. I can't believe I have never played one in my 34 years of playing. I reckon it will come in handy too, as the singer I am working with likes to change the keys of tunes a lot. Sometimes going higher just sounds wrong. 

• Like 1

Well here's a thing. How I missed it I don't know. I ve just spotted they are doing a satin black version with matching headstock...... 7 quid more but there are no pics on the Thomann site. Question is, do I change my order. I am torn. I do love my all black P Bass, but I also love a sunburst, and the stingray style really suits it in my opinion. Coin toss maybe? Please don't suggest one of each as I would have a divorce on my hands....