Why become a member? ×

Christmas shortages

BassApprentice

One of jobs is to hand-deliver approximately 1000 magazines to the same addresses each month. I have noticed a marked increase in new cars on drives, extensions being built, new bathrooms, new kitchens and general house and garden improvement projects. It’s a skip rat’s paradise! 

From talking to my neighbour, who’s had a hot tub and new decking put in, I think folk who have the cash (or credit) have spent their holiday and going-out money on other things.

It’s right though - there are certain pockets of society with more cash, upping demand. We’re a nation in debt, and everyone was offered ‘no questions asked’ payment holiday on mortgages, credit cards, car loan - regardless of means.

Add this to cancelled social life and commuting costs - many households have ended up with more spare cash.  

Was at Jon Shuker’s last month and he said he’s been really busy since lockdown hit , hasn’t impacted orders at all, though is hitting parts availability. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Drax said:

Ah lovely Deloitte - record fines for their Autonomy scandal , the same week they continue for fk up UK covid testing. Amazing how these firms just keep on getting work. 

Mrs. LBM used to work for a library authority that gave a lot of work to PWC. To this day she can't figure out what they ever achieved on behalf of the authority to justify the vast amounts of money that was spent on them.

4 hours ago, Drax said:

Ah lovely Deloitte - record fines for their Autonomy scandal , the same week they continue for fk up UK covid testing. Amazing how these firms just keep on getting work. 

Taxpayers money is being squandered  and there is no tender procedure and no accountability. Not to mention how many of these firms make huge contributions to a certain political party, quid pro quo?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Taxpayers money is being squandered  and there is no tender procedure and no accountability. Not to mention how many of these firms make huge contributions to a certain political party, quid pro quo?

No tender process was followed when the government awarded a contract to Computacenter for laptops for schools, cutting companies like mine straight out of being able to compete. Cheers, Boris.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Capo said:

No tender process was followed when the government awarded a contract to Computacenter for laptops for schools, cutting companies like mine straight out of being able to compete. Cheers, Boris.

Mind they did a really good job in making sure everyone who qualified got one......