Why become a member? ×

Reverend Basses

BassApprentice

Not really much on the forum about these. 

Tried a Decision PJ model out yesterday - wow. For £800 you get a lot of bass. If you want something that looks a bit different and has a very solid range of tones I would definitely check them out. It's also really light, considering the body looks quite large it balanced nicely. 

I tried a seafoam green that has all roasted maple neck and this burgundy one that has roasted maple neck with Pau Ferro, both were really good, super smooth and easy to play. Didn't notice too much tonal different between the two. Tone wise it's pretty bright, can't get a lot of clank going, I found having the tone control just over 50% going through a Fender Rumble was about right. The shop does have bare concrete floors and not much else so probably contributed to it as well. 

Would love to try the Mercalli and the Triad to see how they differ and which I prefer. 

PXL_20200917_141021195.jpg

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Not really much on the forum about these. 

Tried a Decision PJ model out yesterday - wow. For £800 you get a lot of bass. If you want something that looks a bit different and has a very solid range of tones I would definitely check them out. It's also really light, considering the body looks quite large it balanced nicely. 

I tried a seafoam green that has all roasted maple neck and this burgundy one that HD roasted maple neck with Pau Ferro, both were really good, super smooth and easy to play. Didn't notice too much tonal different between the two. Tone wise it's pretty bright, can't get a lot of clank going, I found having the tone control just over 50% going through a Fender Rumble was about right. The shop does have bare concrete floors and not much else so probably contributed to it as well. 

Would love to try the Mercalli and the Triad to see how they differ and which I prefer. 

PXL_20200917_141021195.jpg

In hindsight I think their decision to put a gold musicman logo on it is poor form

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

That Merchant City Music in Glasgow by any chance, looks like their display and I know they have a stock of these.

Been meaning to stop by and try them out myself, like the look of some of their models, a bit different.

It is indeed. Only had to the Decision PJ in stock (albeit in the 3 colours) and not sure when they are getting other models in again. Definitely worth trying though! 

• Like 1

I used to have one of the original Brad Houser one in knobly chrome. It was quite the machine. Ironically I thought I had ordered a different finish so opening the box was quite a surprise. I will never look that fabulous again when playing Bass Guitar. 

• Like 1

I’ve always liked these, but never had chance to try one. Looks like Merchant City Music are the biggest stockist, although Andertons seem to have a few in some great colours too. I always liked the Rumblefish, especially after seeing Sheryl Crow’s bassist using one at Glastonbury, but didn’t know until reading this thread that they were semi hollow. Want one even more now.

10 hours ago, casapete said:

I’ve always liked these, but never had chance to try one. Looks like Merchant City Music are the biggest stockist, although Andertons seem to have a few in some great colours too. I always liked the Rumblefish, especially after seeing Sheryl Crow’s bassist using one at Glastonbury, but didn’t know until reading this thread that they were semi hollow. Want one even more now.

AFAICS only three Rumblefish is semi-hollow, the newer models are all solid.

• Like 1

Big Reverend fan. Let me introduce the family - Mercalli 4, Decison P and the Sentinel. Bought the first from Andertons, the other two from Merchant City.  Richard at MCM is fantastic. 

Although I still have my USA jazz, it hasn't been out of its case or gigged in the two years since I got my first Rev. The blend knob is a great design and simplicity to use at a gig. I got the Sentinel just before the lockdown and have played it every day since. Just plays and sounds so good. A really first class shortie. Having playing over 100 gigs with these 3 basses I don't quite get the toy analogy particularly with the Merc and Decision which feel substantial to me but we all perceive things differently. If you fancy something a little bit different, are really well made and great after sales (in my experience) then Reverend are definitely worth serious consideration.

20200616_125936.jpg

Edited by sPiKi
  • Like 5

Ah you are just the man I am looking for @sPiKi.

I only got to try the Decision - how does the Merc compare? I found the Decision very bright and Reverend told me on Instagram that the Merc pickups are a bit rounder. Does this match up with your basses? 

I'm a big fan of bridge humbuckers so I reckon I would prefer the Merc but without trying it's difficult to know! 

I would agree with that description, that the Mercalli is more rounded. I have found the Decision pickups are higher output and played with a pick, the bass can do throaty/aggressive really well. It delivers a big, full sound. It did take some experimenting with the blend knob and my amp settings to find the tone I wanted. A little goes a long way with those pickups and the controls on the Mesa Subway head (I recently upgraded to the D800+). 

The control configuration on both basses is exactly the same. With the Mercalli, I tend to favour the blend knob slightly forward, towards the neck pickup. It just seems to give it a clear but weighty thump than either pickup soloed. Like a Precision but with a little more bite if that makes sense. The bridge pickup almost sounds like the equivalent on a J bass to me. I tend not to solo it, although for poppier songs in our set, I would roll the blend slightly towards the bridge, just a little more definition. Dead easy to dial in your tone.

In short, if I had to pick I would choose the Merc over the Decision. Not only does it look cool (it's described as metallic copper fire and isn't as orange as the photos would suggest), it is very easy to get a tone that I'm happy with and sounds better through IEMs. Again this is just my experience, but I have found that I spend more time tweaking my IEM settings with the Decision, but once I get it, I don't touch a dial for the rest of the night. The Merc is also slightly lighter.

The Sentinel is another matter entirely. Now, if only they made a short scale Mercalli! 

2019-01-11 12.07.39.jpg

2019-01-11 12.07.42.jpg

2019-01-11 12.07.46.jpg

2019-01-11 12.07.50.jpg

2019-01-27 16.08.44.jpg

2019-03-28 14.24.54.jpg

2019-03-29 10.56.02.jpg

• Like 3

I should add BassApprentice that I bought the Mercalli on the strength of a discussion on TalkBass and this review on YT (mine is the newer model with lightweight tuners, roasted maple neck etc.). I just thought it looking mighty and I was intrigued to try it out for myself. I didn't have the chance to try it first either and I don't regret it for a minute. Just check with MCM if they would take it back if you didn't like it.