Why become a member? ×

J Retro in a Sire V7

Lee-Man

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Since you seem to be tinkering with your Sire - are the pickups epoxied in or can you remove the covers? Formulating a plan if I get one. 

Hey, not sure as I've not removed them. It looks like the covers are removable. 

Edited by Lee-Man
  • Thanks 1

J Retro is well made and versatile. However, I tried one in my J bass and removed it in the end. Although it gave a wider tonal palette, I felt it robbed the instrument of something. I couldn't get that classic J sound - the one where you run one pickup wide open and back the other off a tad - using it.

On 01/10/2020 at 09:07, Dan Dare said:

J Retro is well made and versatile. However, I tried one in my J bass and removed it in the end. Although it gave a wider tonal palette, I felt it robbed the instrument of something. I couldn't get that classic J sound - the one where you run one pickup wide open and back the other off a tad - using it.

That's interesting, I've found I'm leaving my J behind most of the time as I'm getting frustrated getting a good live sound with the J-Retro, which sounds great at home.

Any thoughts as to why?

8 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

That's interesting, I've found I'm leaving my J behind most of the time as I'm getting frustrated getting a good live sound with the J-Retro, which sounds great at home.

Any thoughts as to why?

i had that for a long time Phil, the problem for me was that I can use the J-Retro make the bass sound so bloody perfect and hifi in the living room - in my case I was going for tones that allowed lines by people like Flea to sound good soloed, zingy top and thumpy bottom - that I kinda fell in love with certain settings that simply didn't work in the band. I needed far more mids in the mix than I was using, and my lines were disappearing. A useful exercise for me was listening to some of the recorded bass parts I was playing soloed, and realising for example that a lot of the bottom end I thought I was hearing on the bass part was kick drum, and a lot of the zingy top was coming from places other than the bass - cymbals and guitar I guess. In short the J-Retro was allowing me to get close to a recorded bass tone that didn't exist (does that make sense) 

There is certainly no problem at all with the J-Retro, it makes it far easier to get good live sound than either a passive circuit or most active circuits (the mid sweep is very powerful), but it also seduces you with lovely solo tones that do not land live.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/10/2020 at 15:28, Phil Starr said:

Any thoughts as to why?

I think Beedster has it right. The classic J bass sound I refer to is probably not hi-fi, especially with the wiring routing one pickup via the other's pot  However, it just sounds so right, to my ears anyway. The J Retro turns the instrument into more of a competent Jack of All Trades, at the expense of that one sound that we love a J bass for.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Thanks 1