Why become a member? ×

Price conscious cab to pair a Peavey Minimax

Marvin

I bought a Peavey Minimax recently and now need a cab (I sold my last rig 12 months ago, Aguilar TH350 + Schroeder 1212l).

I've got £300 available. Second hand can be difficult due to where I live, most cabs seem to be 100 miles away. Occasionally someone will courier a cab, but we all know that's rare and a bit of a faff. 

I need something compact with a small footprint, just for home and maybe practice rooms, but could eventually do pub/club size sort of gigs. The last amp/combo I used was a borrowed Laney RB 500w with a 15"driver. It kept up with the drummer and 2 guitarists

On my list of possible

Ashdown RM210t

Fender Rumble 210

Markbass Black 151 (would have to negotiate the release of extra hour funds for that 🙂)

Markbass NY121 (this one is second hand, but seller is willing to courier).

Ampeg PF115LF 

GK 210MBE-II

All opinions gratefully received.

If you are price sensitive i wonder why you are considering new? There's a Barefaced 210 in the ads here for £400 which is more than your budget but a lot of speaker for your money and other bargains to be had and that is just here.

This person has a couple of TC cabs to sell, you'll need to read the ad but it looks like he may split the bundle if you take one of the cabs 

• Like 2

I know it's slightly over your budget but there is a barefaced compact in the classifieds for 325, that would be great with that head (and you could add a midget or another compact at a later date for even more volume.) 

Matt 

• Like 1

Markbass NY121; I have experience with that Cab and know it will do what you need and fits requirements. IMO has great tone and punch and always sounds excellent when I hear it[or 121 combo] in live situations with various Basses, Music types and mixes.

Saying that the others may be fine also, Rumble, GK and Ampeg have their dominant sound and are 'OK/Good' in live mixes but always sound like themselves [so to speak] regardless of player, Bass and Music but one 'may be your cup of tea'. Have not heard Markbass 151 or Ashdown 2x10

• Like 1