Why become a member? ×

Just a tuner?

Creeper

I wondered how many people play through just a tuner, no compression, or box of tricks and magic potions in their set up. I’ve not been happy with my sound for a while and last night I went straight into the amp, and there is was, the nice phat juicy bass sound I’ve been after,  could be time to cash in on those expensive pedals!!! (And buy another bass 😁)

• Like 1

I usually do. I recently made a small pedalboard with a few basics (tuner, compressor, OD, chorus) but before that I've always just plugged my bass into an Ampeg tube preamp, with a rack tuner on a parallel output, to an EBS head and 4x10. I've always been very happy with that tone, and still am ☺️

1999 Hot Rod Precision to Korg PtichBlack to LM3 to Barefaced Compact and that's it for me. All joined together with RockWire leads that have lasted forever. Small footprint so it fit's in anywhere, set up in minutes. We only play pubs and small clubs, the odd festival gig the LM3 has a very nice XLR out DI for PA support.

Edited by phil.c60

42 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Precision bass or Status bass via a Stageclix Jack wireless system straight into my Mark Bass LM3 and 102T cab, I don't even run through a tuner as I know the basses hold tune really well

+1 

No tuner, check the bass every 3/6 months, never needs doing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

I wondered how many people play through just a tuner, no compression, or box of tricks and magic potions in their set up. I’ve not been happy with my sound for a while and last night I went straight into the amp, and there is was, the nice phat juicy bass sound I’ve been after,  could be time to cash in on those expensive pedals!!! (And buy another bass 😁)

Been there.

Spent years messing with pedals, emulators, fx boxes.

Straight into amp sounded much better.

I was over complicating everything.

Same with eq on the amp. Just set it flat and only make adjustments when absolutely necessary.

Use a wireless straight into my Mesa Mpulse and Mesa 212 cab. Tuner is from the amp tuner out socket and has no effect on sound. I have noticed that bass sounds fuller with a cable rather than wireless but I like the freedom of wireless especially in 70's  Glam covers band wearing platform boots.🤣

At present it’s Fender Jazz bass into (studio owned) Ampeg amp/8x10, not even a tuner, aside from a clip-on.

Should add, at present am doing classic rock in a band with guitar & keys, so leave any kind of effects to them, my job in this is to stick with the drums.

Edited by Lozz196

It took me decades to get the sound I wanted by going direct into amplification, it was never quite what I was after. I didn't want to start using pedals until I was happy with my core tone before I applied any trickery. Now I have found the perfect amplification set up for me, one I'm perfectly happy to use with nothing in the signal chain (bass > FRFR speaker) I have started using a HX Stomp, but as I use acoustic basses the Stomp is for really subtle tweaks. I think you need to be really happy with that uncoloured sound first.

• Like 1

I usually go straight into the amp with no effects. As I play in a soul/rhythm and blues function band, that's what's called for most of the time. I do like to fatten the fretless with a bit of reverb and maybe the slightest hint of chorus and/or a touch of compression when I use it. It's all down to what the music you play needs. 

• Like 1

I tune my basses with an external Ibanez (MU-40, with a metronome; one in each mono case), Korg (MT-1200), or Peterson (V-SAM) tuner. But only tune, then I connect the bass to a board, or to the amp. I want my basses to be stable - love the graphite - and I do check the tuning of the bass before the gig or rehearsal. No need for a pedal tuner.