Why become a member? ×

Wireless for DB (and other high impedance gear)

Happy Jack

On 04/10/2020 at 20:43, keeponehandloose said:

Line 6... Ive used the G30, G75 & G10s

With most of the common piezo pickups.. Underwood, Planet Waves, 

Revolution Solo etc. All the Line 6 systems work faultlessly when plugged straight into the p/up.

Damn right they do. I've got 3 of the blighters too. Need to pass on one of them, the G50 I think.

2 hours ago, PaulKing said:

Damn right they do. I've got 3 of the blighters too. Need to pass on one of them, the G50 I think.

I've looked at the Line 6 stuff but I'm a bit put off by the body-pack approach. Because I also sing in my bands, when using DB I always use a headset condenser mic which of course needs a body-pack too.

That body-pack I can cope with, I clip it to the outside of the back pocket on my jeans and so long as I don't try to sit down I'm good to go. The cable that runs from the headset mic to the body-pack doesn't bother me since it's there permanently, and I can run it under my shirt and forget about it.

Using a body-pack for DB wireless gives me (1) a second body-pack to clip onto a pocket and get confused about which one I'm tweaking mid-song, and (2) a short cable to tether me to the DB which is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

I've seen you play enough times to know that you're in no way hampered by the body-pack, so am I missing something?

14 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Cable? I see no cable ...

Actually, look carefully and you can all the cable i use... all of 6” from pickup to belt pack, which is tucked behind tailpiece, held by elastic velcro strap.

Total freedom from cables is one of the main reasons i stick with this set up. I even use it in rehearsals. Acts as impedance buffer too, receiver straight into amp.

At gigs, turn on amp, turn on transmitter, start playing.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2020 at 21:56, TwoTimesBass said:

I've often clipped the beltpack from a regular UHF radiomic/DPA system to the back of the tailpiece. Either with strong velcro or a small fabric pouch depending on the cost of the bass involved...!

13 hours ago, PaulKing said:

image.jpg

Couldn't have illustrated it better myself 😀

• Like 1