Why become a member? ×

‘Most expensive bass ever sold’

Drax

The Ritter was on display in a jewellers somewhere in the US for a quarter of a million dollars, no idea if it ever sold.

Presumably most of it's value was in the precious stones, metals and bits of fossilised mammoth, so if it never sold those could have been stripped and sold seperately, vastly reducing the financial loss.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Beedster said:

How can a bass that no-one would associate with him sell for significantly more than Macca's Hofner, or was it simply inflation? I always associate Wyman and the 'Stone's great basslines with that lovely 3tsb Precision anyway. Oh hang on, that was Keef :)

image.png.aee6cd73e0a342e34fa255808fcc908a.png

It’s good to know Keef looks just as cool being a bassist as he does being a guitarist. 

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

How can a bass that no-one would associate with him sell for significantly more than Macca's Hofner, or was it simply inflation? I always associate Wyman and the 'Stone's great basslines with that lovely 3tsb Precision anyway. Oh hang on, that was Keef :)

Brilliant pic 

4 hours ago, Beedster said:

I wonder who he got to do the relic job? It looks really authentic.

49 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It, and the film it's taken from, say everything about music as I understand music. I think that photo alone explains my deep heartfelt engagement with 60's Precisions :)

Great film. Tull with Iommi , Taj Mahal. So much to enjoy, still sounds great today 

Edit: Hastily assumed film as Rock n Roll Circus, (Keith bass with Lennon & Clapton) might be wrong :) 

Edited by Drax

14 minutes ago, Drax said:

Great film. Tull with Iommi , Taj Mahal. So much to enjoy, still sounds great today 

edit. Assumed was outtake from Rock n Roll Circus , might be wrong :) 

I was thinking this one by Jean Luc Goddard

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063665/

I haven't seen it for a while, but IIRC there's a studio scene in which Keef takes centre stage on bass while Wyman is stuck in the corner on bongos, kinda sad in a way, but really made me appreciate just what a musician Richards was and is.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2020 at 20:04, Beedster said:

I was thinking this one by Jean Luc Goddard

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063665/

I haven't seen it for a while, but IIRC there's a studio scene in which Keef takes centre stage on bass while Wyman is stuck in the corner on bongos, kinda sad in a way, but really made me appreciate just what a musician Richards was and is.

It was filmed in the Olympic Studios in Barnes SW13 - now the Olympic Cinema (albeit with a small live music lounge upstairs) and they show this clip before the start of every film