Why become a member? ×

Mixing strings

Tvrtastic

I know that there is no such thing as an original thought anymore, as everything has been done at some stage.  But has anyone mixed flat and roundwound strings on the same guitar?  

I like many, have flats on one bass and roundwounds on another.  Both sound and play very differently and I select to suit the song best. 

The same goes for fretless, and there are examples of people pulling a few frets on a bass to get a hybrid best (or worse!) of both worlds. 

So, is there sense to say (maybe on a 5 string) have EADG as roundwould for slappy stuff.  But put have the 5s B on flat to have the choice to swap to thumpy stuff?

Anyone tried this? 

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

If I recall correctly Dave Swift does the opposite, flats E to G, roundwound B for greater clarity in the mix.

Yep, this. Makes a lot of sense. I’ve recently bought a 5 string set of TI Flats and if the B isn’t satisfactory I’ll be putting on an old single round wound B!

Mix 'n' match string sets a very common on doublebass and makes perfect sense really as some standard sets have a great E, A & D but the G sounds weak, whereas others have great sound top end but a muddy low end. Pick out the strings you like the sound of and make a mixed set. Folks even mix gut, or synthetic gut, and steel strings to get what they want. 

For some reason it just doesn't seem to be the done thing on electric bass. 

5 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Yep, this. Makes a lot of sense. I’ve recently bought a 5 string set of TI Flats and if the B isn’t satisfactory I’ll be putting on an old single round wound B!

Update: the TI Flat B string is great. No further questions, your honour :crazy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drax said:

Never been 100% with flatwound B, LaBella 760FL-B the closest I’ve liked. Going to give a roundwound a try .. 

@CameronJ how would you rank the TIs. I like a flexible flat but have hesitated on £80 outlay from ‘wet noodle’ comments. 

Well I’ve had a 4 string set for over a year before getting the 5 string set recently. I love them! The tone is, to me, the perfect companion for a P bass. They definitely “mature” over time so don’t judge them based on what they sound like when new. I’d forgotten what they sound like fresh out of the packet before fitting the 5er set yesterday. Still a nice tone but not quite the delights you end up with after some solid playing hours.

Feel-wise I think they’re great. Kind of comparable to roundwounds in terms of elasticity and flex, and this is what puts some people off. Personally I’m not the biggest fan of playing stiff suspension bridge cables! Also, they develop a very smooth almost glassy texture which again I enjoy. Different brands of flats do vary a bit in this regard.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Well I’ve had a 4 string set for over a year before getting the 5 string set recently. I love them! The tone is, to me, the perfect companion for a P bass. They definitely “mature” over time so don’t judge them based on what they sound like when new. I’d forgotten what they sound like fresh out of the packet before fitting the 5er set yesterday. Still a nice tone but not quite the delights you end up with after some solid playing hours.

Feel-wise I think they’re great. Kind of comparable to roundwounds in terms of elasticity and flex, and this is what puts some people off. Personally I’m not the biggest fan of playing stiff suspension bridge cables! Also, they develop a very smooth almost glassy texture which again I enjoy. Different brands of flats do vary a bit in this regard.

Thank you - really helpful. Stuck a r/wound B on my jazz today..  seems v strange. Will see how it pans out then going to give the TIs a go.