Why become a member? ×

NBD - Industrial radio PRO-4 Midi Bass

GisserD

Happy new to me bass day!

Due to hit the doorstep at 4pm today.

(Im literally beside myself with excitement. which is a good thing because if it was just me there would be no work done. The fact ther is two of me today, is making things a little easier)

Gonna be playing some sweet no latency squelchy Moog synths with this badboy by sundown!

*edit* for those not in the know, this bass is capable of outputting midi data to controll actual synths. this is not audio to midi conversion but the notes are triggered by a clever system that tracks our playing through the fretts themselves.

midibass1.thumb.jpg.2277bcc76f0eb345fbdd11efdb2cc733.jpg

midibass2.thumb.jpg.4fe8ac57bf933794d35d48b058094222.jpg

midibass3.thumb.jpg.ee143b5b609e90155eedcbd4236ac2a2.jpg

midibass4.thumb.jpg.9f29dd2c7fbe927d13473bcded3e84a2.jpg

midibass5.thumb.jpg.61a6d4717db00e2dc9044f2bd514a9c0.jpg

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 9

hey guys... ids definately not yuk :)

I've played it for 1 hour....Understood 10% of the settings, and I'd say I'm 80% the way there. Its very good so far. Latency is non existent. Tracking still needs to be setup. Theres alot of settings to calibrate to your playing style. It will take some time to perfect. Im hoping somwhere on the Internet somone has some presets for me to try. But I expect its a kinda player/bass soecific thing.

i read the manual last night so can approach it with a fresh head and a little more understanding today. i will report back once i have more progress.

but let me say this... trigering a real analogue synth with no detectable latency is the grail!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BreadBin said:

Could you add a Hot Hand as well?

Of corse yes! A hot hand can be configured as a midi device like any other. It would actually work really well with midibass, as tge midibass can be programmed to hold a note until the frett is released 

Edited by GisserD

On 19/09/2020 at 00:23, bloke_zero said:

Need to know more!  Let us know how the tracking works after calibration...  I'm particularly interested in the note articulation like bend or tremelo.

It's possible to note bend.  Reducing false triggers by selective muting is still needed although it'll be interesting to see how far the tech has come since I met with Steve.  Sorely tempted to get one in 5 string format as well but finances prevent it at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Kiwi said:

If it's used, is it the version originally handmade by Charles Celia for Steve?  Or is it the later model made from Warmoth parts?

I believe its made from warmth parts. Id be happy to be corrected on that tho.

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

I believe its made from warmth parts. Id be happy to be corrected on that tho.

'Warmoth'.

You're welcome ;)

It was Little Dragon for me too - the bass went from organic to synth so seamlessly. It really is the best of both!

Edited by krispn
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw this thread with hope and regret ... two years ago I thought this tech seemed like a brilliant idea ... and put down a deposit for a 6-string. 

In the last year there was an apparently dead website and no replies to emails ... and I was left thinking it was a risk or a gamble that hadn't paid off ...

I contacted Darren & Peter here ... followed a trail of advice ... discovering that James Chick has left the company, and a direct email for Steve Chick ... and got a reply!

Apparently Covid and rosewood debacles has meant they've lost their factory but Steve is still keeping their operation going ... he's got parts like necks and bodies from  Warmoth and hopes to be getting things painted and presumably then assembled in the new year ... maybe my deposit isn't lost ... and perhaps the same for those hoping for a bass too?

• Like 2