Why become a member? ×

NSD: Elixir Nickels

CameronJ

I’m about to string my Dingwall Super PJ5 with some of these after hearing many good things about them. No particular reason why I chose the nickels over the steels to be honest.

I’m thinking I’ll check into this thread over a period of months and report in on how well they’re retaining their fresh tone.

Wish me luck!

9302187E-3687-46D8-92BD-95A27EBBB1D3.thumb.jpeg.cb3e2ccc3c0885a034cdf05ce6c7f383.jpeg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes I have the steels on my Precision, been on since about April and similarly still sound great.

Presumably there’s no difference in feel between the nickels and the steels as they’re wrapped/coated anyway?

And presumably the tonal difference is much like the difference between ordinary uncoated nickels vs steels?

28 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Presumably there’s no difference in feel between the nickels and the steels as they’re wrapped/coated anyway?

And presumably the tonal difference is much like the difference between ordinary uncoated nickels vs steels?

They don’t do steels in the 40-95 size so I’ve never used them but been using the nickels for years. The set on my Vigier are probably more than two years old and still sound fresh 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 17/09/2020 at 18:13, CameronJ said:

Just had a quick play and can confirm they feel delightful. Sound wise they sound like fresh nickels so I suppose time will tell!

Watch this space...

How are they holding up? (Or did they?)

Edited by Happypants
English.

58 minutes ago, Happypants said:

How are they (or did they) hold up?

They’re great. Can’t say I’ve noticed a change in tone to be honest. I recently changed to TI Flatwounds on the bass they were on (purely for the tonal variety of having a bass with flats) but it’s nice to know they’ll still sound good when I put them back on. I potentially have a long gig at the end of the year - a Panto in Wales with 8 performances a week for 2 months - that’ll be a serious test for the Elixirs as my hands sweat quite a bit when playing live!

9 hours ago, Happypants said:

Great, thanks, I’m going to give them a twirl on the jazz. I’m guessing the panto is covid dependent so fingers crossed for you. 

Thanks man, yeah it’s COVID dependent - hopefully by November it’ll be doable!

Re: the strings, I’d really recommend them, they feel nice under the fingers and sound the way good strings should. I got the Nickels so can’t comment on the steels from personal experience, but I’m sure they’re just as good if steels are your flavour of choice.

• Thanks 1

Just to add that when the factory strings die on my Xotic XJ 5er, I’ll be buying another set of Elixir nickels for it. I’m not one who delights in changing strings all the time (unless it’s rounds to flats/tapes or vice-versa for a completely different tone) so these are a no brainer.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for the longevity of nickel Elixirs. I usually change strings every 8 weeks, I am 6 months in to the Elixirs. 

I prefer the sound of fresh NYXL's to the Elixirs, however the Elixirs win by lasting atleast double the time with consistent tone. 

• Like 1

Now on the Fender Jazz 4 so I’ll let you know how I get on - I didn’t realise how dead my old strings sounded. Initially I thought I’d ordered the wrong lengths as the E string taper appeared to start before the nut when strung through the body. Once tuned up it seats in the nut properly but only just; the other strings are fine. To be fair there was a warning on StringsDirect to measure the existing strings which I ignored!