Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Coated Strings

MSL Pro

On 10/08/2021 at 07:24, ped said:

How are your strings holding up @DylanB and @NancyJohnson et al? 

I’m tempted to try them as like most people I can’t find elixirs anywhere.  

They’re a decent alternative to Elixirs. I actually took them off fairly quickly as I convinced myself I wanted something with less tension (which turns out not to be true). I’m set with DR Lo Rider steels for now, but if I wanted to go back to the coated route I’d give the LongEvos another try.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Put a set of 40-100 LongEvo strings on my Jazz bass last week for a rehearsal with a classic 70's punk band and WOW these strings really growl. Very balanced tone across the neck. Tension seemed to be similar to my D'addario nickels same gauge.

Have to say i really like the tone from them. Its a very mid growl sounding string. Really cut thru the band mix with drums and 2 guitarists.

I think i might invest in more sets and try on my Sandberg VM4 as i find it needs that little bit more mid punch.

All in all i'm very pleased with them.

Any idea who sells them now. ?

Dave

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Does anyone know where i can get more of the LongEvo strings 40-100 nickel. 

I've searched a lot of UK stores but either not stocked at all or none available ?

Bass Direct has MB strings but no LongEvo types.

Dave

You can buy them direct - but they're €40 a set (plus you'll get stung for duty, too). 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

You can buy them direct - but they're €40 a set (plus you'll get stung for duty, too). 

I saw that on the MB website but was hoping somewhere in UK might have them. I could contact MSL who appear to be a distributor for MB but not sure if they will sell to Joe public.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I saw that on the MB website but was hoping somewhere in UK might have them. I could contact MSL who appear to be a distributor for MB but not sure if they will sell to Joe public.

Dave

They used to sell direct, it was them who started the thread but last time I looked at their website it did not seem public facing: Mojoke is your man to ask!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Did a practice last night, and just took my original number 1 bass (the 1605) which has the longevo strings on it. I haven't played that bass for a while, as there were newer and shinier basses to play. I was fairly nocked out by how it sounded, so clear and bright. These strings have been on for quite a while now and I would have expected them to have got fairly dull, but they really haven't.

If there is a way of getting these here at a reasonable price, they could well be my goto strings for normal scale basses.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Did a practice last night, and just took my original number 1 bass (the 1605) which has the longevo strings on it. I haven't played that bass for a while, as there were newer and shinier basses to play. I was fairly nocked out by how it sounded, so clear and bright. These strings have been on for quite a while now and I would have expected them to have got fairly dull, but they really haven't.

If there is a way of getting these here at a reasonable price, they could well be my goto strings for normal scale basses.

I struggled to find a supplier for them that had them in stock and just gave up. Amazing strings with a really nice clear tone and great feel to them. They didnt feel as tense as the Elixirs i've tried over the years.

Dave