Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Coated Strings

MSL Pro

On 06/11/2020 at 18:43, foxyFuze said:

I've put a set on my P bass and they've bedded in pretty quickly. They feel fine, sound bright without being too 'metallic'; if they last as long as is purported, I reckon they would be a decent lower-cost alternative to Elixirs.

How is the tension on them and did they affect the neck in any way with truss adjustment ?

Dave

41 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

How is the tension on them and did they affect the neck in any way with truss adjustment ?

Dave

No tweaking required from the previous string set - I've had two different brands on before these and the tension seems comparable to both. Not exactly scientific but I don't think you'll need any adjustments.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, foxyFuze said:

No tweaking required from the previous string set - I've had two different brands on before these and the tension seems comparable to both. Not exactly scientific but I don't think you'll need any adjustments.

Cheers always good to know

Dave

Hi folks!

Further to a number of questions we've had regarding comparisons of tension, feel and durability, Markbass have now updated their website with considerably more information in answer to this.

Check out the details in a selection from one of the series you are interested in and hopefully this will be useful!  For example the Balanced strings:

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mb4bans40100ls/

there you will see charts comparing them to all the other strings.  Hope thats helpful!

15 hours ago, Muzz said:

I've just looked at that, and I can't tell what 'Softness' means - is it that the Ultimate is highest tension and the Vintage is the lowest?

I've used and recorded with all types, with the exception of the Balanced strings...  They are referring to the feel of the strings.  Although they use exactly the same type of wire, the Ultimates and Advanced are wound differently and that gives them a softer and more bendy feel under the fingers compared to the Energy/Groove, which are great strings but more like yer average steels and nickels.  Sorry, thats not very scientific, but I'm not sure I can explain any better!

22 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

I've used and recorded with all types, with the exception of the Balanced strings...  They are referring to the feel of the strings.  Although they use exactly the same type of wire, the Ultimates and Advanced are wound differently and that gives them a softer and more bendy feel under the fingers compared to the Energy/Groove, which are great strings but more like yer average steels and nickels.  Sorry, thats not very scientific, but I'm not sure I can explain any better!

You’d think the flats would be softest though, with them being flat and all. 

On 24/11/2020 at 13:20, OliverBlackman said:

You’d think the flats would be softest though, with them being flat and all. 

Yeah!  That one is a bit odd, because I think the flats actually feel very soft to the touch, but maybe it means they are just not as bendy!

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to taking my Elixirs off and putting my Markbass LongEvo set on. It’s worth remembering when I’m comparing them that the Elixirs were 4 months old and, while not dead by any means, definitely not new.

The LongEvos seem a tiny bit more grabby in feel than the Elixirs, which is to be expected from new strings. Other than that the feel is quite similar. I like a high tension string and these don’t disappoint.

Output level pretty much the same, possibly a tad higher with the LongEvos.

The biggest difference is in the tone, where the LongEvos seem to have more presence in the low end. The full spectrum is there, they just seem a bit more authoritative in the low frequencies. Not quite what I was expecting vs old strings, but I like it. They don’t seem boomy or flabby, just a tight, full low end. If this is the tone I can expect to hang around for the next few months I think I’m onto a winner.

B string sounds good and works well with the other strings (i.e. tone wise it’s pretty close to E and A strings)

Not enough of a difference to write off Elixirs forever, and future decisions may come down to price as much as anything, but right now I’m leaning towards the LongEvos.

EDIT: Actually take all the above with a giant pinch of salt. Turns out my main cable has been dying a slow death unbeknownst to me. It was killing all the top end. Classic example of ‘boiling frog’ - it was so gradual I just didn’t notice.

I thought all my work on technique was really paying off with a drastic reduction in finger noise. New cable and BOSH there’s that finger noise again!

Turns out I don’t know what anything sounds like anymore so don’t look to me for advice in this instance. I’m off to retrain my ears. Bugger.

Edited by DylanB
Because I’m a moron
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, ped said:

How are your strings holding up @DylanB and @NancyJohnson et al? 

I’m tempted to try them as like most people I can’t find elixirs anywhere.  

I really like them.  I know they've been on for six months and I'm fairly quiet musically, but they've had quite a few hours use considering I'm only playing at home.  They're still fresh and bright.

I love how they feel, too.  They're quite coarse under the fingers; not entirely sure whether this is down to the coating or whether the winding material.

None of whatever they're coated with appears to have flaked off, so they're holding up well.

Definitely a decent alternative to Elixirs; I would certainly buy them again.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

@MSL Prowhere can we buy these from? Did a google search and they don’t seem to be available at UK stockists?

I'm not certain whether MSL (www.mslpro.co.uk) were offering these here in a testing-the-water capacity; they're brand distribution as opposed to selling direct to the customer.  

While@Leonard Smallsis correct in saying Bass Direct are carrying MarkBass strings, they're not listing the LongEvo sets, which is what this thread is about.  You can buy them direct from MarkBass, a five string set is €50, but no idea how much shipping is and remember that post-Brexit you may be hit for VAT too.

54 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Bass Direct have 'em...

Not the longevo unfortunately 

20 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm not certain whether MSL (www.mslpro.co.uk) were offering these here in a testing-the-water capacity; they're brand distribution as opposed to selling direct to the customer.  

While@Leonard Smallsis correct in saying Bass Direct are carrying MarkBass strings, they're not listing the LongEvo sets, which is what this thread is about.  You can buy them direct from MarkBass, a five string set is €50, but no idea how much shipping is and remember that post-Brexit you may be hit for VAT too.

As UK distributors I would expect them to know where has them in stock though. I prefer the sound and feel of these to the Elixirs so hoping I can still get them for a reasonable price. 

8 minutes ago, ped said:

Slightly OT but I've also just asked Elixir what the deal is with their supply problem

I think this was covered elsewhere.  Elixir don't do a super-long (35"+) five string set, so I was forced to buy a four string set plus a low-B.  The four string sets took ages, the B was a six week wait.

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think this was covered elsewhere.  Elixir don't do a super-long (35"+) five string set, so I was forced to buy a four string set plus a low-B.  The four string sets took ages, the B was a six week wait.

Yes I saw there was a YT video covering the issue, but wondered if there's an update and if there's any particular UK slant on the issue.