Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Coated Strings

MSL Pro

@MSL Pro For me, the bridge on my ACG 30.5" is a standard Hipshot B type 17mm bridge with standard Gotoh GB350 resolite tuners. So fitment in the hardware shouldn't be a problem. 

The gauge on the set I currently have is .032 .050 .070 .090 .110 .135. So very close to what you offer on your 6er sets, your gauges would be perfectly fine for me so long as they work for the scale. 

I don't want to commit to buying a set, cut them to fit, and they just don't operate as they should. If I bought a set of your LongEvo strings, are there any guarantees you can offer that they would be serviceable if cut (after bending) and fitted to a 30.5" bass?

On 21/09/2020 at 12:12, MoJoKe said:

So...   If you've not tried them before, some advice to those who are trying coated strings for the first time... 😉

I interestingly just watched an Elixir "how to change your strings" youtube, but I am absolutely not going to share it here, because the guy committed the mortal sin for coated strings (clearly they want you to buy them more often than you actually need!!).

The coatings on all brands of coated strings is very thin, but while it's also quite tough, it can easily be damaged.  So you need to feed the strings gently and carefully through the bridge, body ferrules and string trees, anywhere its metal on metal.  Having spent your hard earned dosh on a new pack, the last thing you want to do is pre-strip the coatings by effectively attacking them with a cheese grater!!!

In the early days of Elixir strings people often complained they started going "fuzzy" very quickly, with the coating peeling off.  This was almost entirely explained by people yanking them thorough the bridge in the way they always had before, and they'd already "pre-damaged" them without realising!

Also, as with all bass strings, ALWAYS bend/kink the end before cutting to length.  It helps stop the windings loosening from the core.  IMHO this is the biggest reason why people experience "dead" strings.

Funny that you say to avoid metal on metal yet MarkBass package the strings wrapped around each other. Following your theory just getting them out the packet would damage the coating. 

Mine sounded very underwhelming acoustically but do sound brighter through headphones. I put them on a standard 4 string jazz and I think the G string needs to be longer to get more windings. Will see how long they last. I understand there should be less wear on the board with coated nickels. 

2 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Funny that you say to avoid metal on metal yet MarkBass package the strings wrapped around each other.

Maybe Markbass think these are more resilient and durable than the competition so not even an issue? 😜

Being a massive and long time Elixir fan this didn't go unnoticed for me either, as I always feel Elixirs need to be handled with kid gloves until fully restrung...  Maybe they are more resilient, I guess the proof is in the longevity.

I'm not with you on your "underwhelming" comment, but then it's what it sounds like when the bass is plugged into something which matters to me. My Precision sounded fat and jangly when recorded through my Audient ID44, and having gigged it, full and punchy through an amp and PA. I can honestly say the stainless steels also sound great on my Lakland 55-02.

I seriously need very good reasons to switch from Elixir, because I'm so comfortable with them, but at the moment my feeling is I will switch to these. However, early days still. 

Jealousy warning alert - I am thoroughly blessed to have just come back lat night from a 4 gig mini tour in Cyprus, it was very touch and go as to whether we'd even get there, what with waiting for Covid test results and stuff, but we made it. 

Instruments were provided, and I was given an MIM Precision to use so I took a set of LongEvo Steels with me and restrung it (it had some nice flats on it, but flats just aren't my thing!) and it sounded like this:

Hi All,

Thank you to all who gave the new strings a try - we really look forward to hearing how you get on with them.  Just a quick update to let you know our promotion will be ending tomorrow at midnight! 

But watch this space, we plan to do something again soon! :) 

- The MSL Team

• Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 13:31, binky_bass said:

@MSL Pro For me, the bridge on my ACG 30.5" is a standard Hipshot B type 17mm bridge with standard Gotoh GB350 resolite tuners. So fitment in the hardware shouldn't be a problem. 

The gauge on the set I currently have is .032 .050 .070 .090 .110 .135. So very close to what you offer on your 6er sets, your gauges would be perfectly fine for me so long as they work for the scale. 

I don't want to commit to buying a set, cut them to fit, and they just don't operate as they should. If I bought a set of your LongEvo strings, are there any guarantees you can offer that they would be serviceable if cut (after bending) and fitted to a 30.5" bass?

@MSL Pro - Any thoughts on the above?

On 30/09/2020 at 12:58, MSL Pro said:

Hi All,

Thank you to all who gave the new strings a try - we really look forward to hearing how you get on with them.  Just a quick update to let you know our promotion will be ending tomorrow at midnight! 

But watch this space, we plan to do something again soon! :) 

- The MSL Team

Set of LongEvo nickel plated 5s arrived today and fitted to Jazz 5 and FULL MARKS (bad pun) to Mark Bass for making the B & E string windings long enough to allow them to be roved through the body and sit correctly at the nut. I posted about Elixirs being too short about a year ago and have not found a suitable coated string since, until now. (And no, the Jazz bass is not 35" scale!). First pic shows Elixirs and the taper of the B & E sitting in the nut slot (causing intonation issues) and the second pic shows Mark Bass LongEvo B & E string taper starting past the nut. Only a few mm different but a world of difference in sound quality. Please don't change the spec!

Initial impressions are that the LongEvo's feel and sound great, time (and the return of gigs) will tell if they are durable. 

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_2726.jpeg

Edited by PsyBean
Typos!

53 minutes ago, MoJoKe said:

why do you say that?  why should they?

Because the lower strings will be too thick to turn around the tuner without breaking (basic physics). You'll also have to remove some winding if you want the strings to fit in the tuner post(s). It's a more than known fact by the strings manufacturers (hence the thinner tuner end string) and those who tried to put long scale strings on a (very) short scale bass.

Well, I'm a committed Elixir fanboi, but I've just ordered a set of LongEvo Steels, so I'll be interested to see how they sound and feel in the short term...though longevity might be harder to determine in these no-gigging days... 😕

Just now, Muzz said:

Well, I'm a committed Elixir fanboi, but I've just ordered a set of LongEvo Steels, so I'll be interested to see how they sound and feel in the short term...though longevity might be harder to determine in these no-gigging days... 😕

Me too re- Elixir I've used them exclusively on all my basses for years now, except for a 5 minute trial of some NYXL coated, which I hated...   True that, re-longevity.  Mind you, for around a tenner less for a set, its potentially less of an issue...  proof is in the pudding!

Yup: I had a brief dalliance with NYXLs, (didn't hate them, but didn't love them, either, in the longer term) and back to Elixirs. Tho, as you say, a tenner's a tenner, especially when you've more than one bass to restring...

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yup: I had a brief dalliance with NYXLs, (didn't hate them, but didn't love them, either, in the longer term) and back to Elixirs. Tho, as you say, a tenner's a tenner, especially when you've more than one bass to restring...

I regularly gig 4 basses, Elixir usually give me 7-8 months with the way I play and amount of gigs, so that could be 6 packs of strings a year...  happy I might save £60....

On 02/10/2020 at 17:37, Muzz said:

That’s exactly what I’ve done. I actually thought the NYXLs were great out of the pack, but the B string went dead FAST. I think I just got a dud B to be honest, but as both sets are around the £50 mark Elixirs are a safer bet for me right now.

Let us know how you get on with the LongEvos. I’ve got a set on the shelf, but I’ve got an annoyingly fresh set of Elixirs on the main bass, so I’m thinking I’m gonna try the LongEvos out after Christmas. Until then I’m forced to live vicariously through the posts of others!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DylanB said:

Let us know how you get on with the LongEvos. I’ve got a set on the shelf, but I’ve got an annoyingly fresh set of Elixirs on the main bass, so I’m thinking I’m gonna try the LongEvos out after Christmas. Until then I’m forced to live vicariously through the posts of others!

Me too. I had just put new strings on my main basses meaning the MB LongEvos will sit on the shelf for few mths and then i'll need to choose what bass they go on.

Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/11/2020 at 21:51, ped said:

Anyone have impressions to share? How do they compare with Elixirs? 

Can’t compare with Elixirs because I haven’t used them in ages, but I preferred the brightness and warmth of the standard MB nickels compared to the coated ones. Obviously coated ones have lasted longer but I’m not sure that’s worth the sacrifice in tone. 

• 2 weeks later...