Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Coated Strings

MSL Pro

Hi all!

Since we last posted here, Markbass have been investing heavily in new equipment to keep ahead of the increasing demand of Markbass Strings.

Back in May we hinted that they were working on new coated strings.  I am delighted to report that their LongEvo Strings are now available and we want you to have the opportunity to try them out.  They are available in Stainless Steel or Nickels, they use their own Markbass proprietary coating method which is ecological/biocompatible and ultra-thin, to give a smooth playing experience, without compromise of great tone and feel... We've tried them and they absolutely do the business!

So, we are happy to once again offer Basschat members an opportunity to give them a go…. We’re sure you won’t be disappointed.

For more details click this link:  Markbass Strings for Basschat Members

We are offering two discount codes on our web shop:

LONGEVO30 – this code will give you 30% discount on any LongEvo Coated strings, and

STRINGS25 – This gives 25% discount for ALL Markbass strings, In case you missed out last time we did this (or you are ready to re-string!)

This offer will only be limited by time and a fixed stock allocation, so if you’re after the more conventional gauges, hopefully you'll want to click above fairly quickly!

We again welcome and look forward to more of your feedback.

I looked at a set of the extra lights but the jump of 25 between the A and D seems excessive.

String Series: Energy
Material:
Stainless Steel
No. of Strings:
4 String Set
Gauge:
.35, .55, .80, 100
Length:
Long Scale, 94cm
Core:
Hexagonal high carbon content

I'd like set of 35/55/75/95

Edited by TheGreek

I already have some of these! 😁

A couple of months ago, before these were released, MSL asked me to do a YouTube comparison of the different series of strings.     When the LongEvos landed in the UK I was sent a set of each (steels and nickels), with the intention of adding them to the video.  When the additional tracks had been done, the tonal difference between these and the Energy and Groove series was imperceivable, so it was decided it wasn't worth changing the video as it just made it longer for no real gain!

I have been an exclusive user of Elixirs for the last 6-7 years or so (by choice, not endorsment!  Chance would be a fine thing!).  I love the feel of them and have always felt that, and long life is well worth the extra expense.  My love for them is now on hold until I see how long the LongEvo's last, because they feel/play great and the street price is going to be about £10 less for a comparable set of Elixir!

I have set of Steels on one of my JVs, which I have recorded with, but not gigged yet (we're out tomorrow so will update if I have further to report!), and a set of Nickels on my Lakland 55-02.  If you want to hear the LongEvo Nickels in action, wind your ears around this:  

Edited by MoJoKe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, atsampson said:

Do you do single strings? I could use a spare Energy 45... (And will probably buy a couple more sets of those - still very happy with those I got last time.)

Currently we only have full sets, but we are hopeful singles will arrive in the future!

4 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I looked at a set of the extra lights but the jump of 25 between the A and D seems excessive.

String Series: Energy
Material:
Stainless Steel
No. of Strings:
4 String Set
Gauge:
.35, .55, .80, 100
Length:
Long Scale, 94cm
Core:
Hexagonal high carbon content

I'd like set of 35/55/75/95

The Markbass string range is still growing, so keep your eyes peeled.

2 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Happy to try these as I enjoyed the normal nickels on my fretless. Shame the medium gauge vintage are OOS otherwise I would have tried them too, but i did order some steels to try. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed the set of Grooves last time, do let us know how you get on with the new coated strings! 

I said I'd give a post-gig update...

I used my JV precision with its new set of LongEvo strings.  2 x 1 hour shows (Warners Norton Grange on the Isle of Wight.  The way they are working around the regulations is for the bands to do two slots with a completely different audience each time, and the venue cleaned down in between).

To be honest, I wasn't even aware I was playing different strings to my usual Elixir Nanoweb Mediums, which I have used on all my basses (including my fretless) for about as long as they've been available.  The LongEvo were comfortable to play, they felt ever so slightly less "slippy" than Elixir and feel a bit softer maybe, and they sounded great.  I would have suggested that I need to see how well they are going to last before I can truly compare, but given that they are the same price as the Advanced/Ultimate strings, which sell for around £28 elsewhere, and are therefore about £10 less than the equivalent Elixir, this is less of a consideration.

So...   If you've not tried them before, some advice to those who are trying coated strings for the first time... 😉

I interestingly just watched an Elixir "how to change your strings" youtube, but I am absolutely not going to share it here, because the guy committed the mortal sin for coated strings (clearly they want you to buy them more often than you actually need!!).

The coatings on all brands of coated strings is very thin, but while it's also quite tough, it can easily be damaged.  So you need to feed the strings gently and carefully through the bridge, body ferrules and string trees, anywhere its metal on metal.  Having spent your hard earned dosh on a new pack, the last thing you want to do is pre-strip the coatings by effectively attacking them with a cheese grater!!!

In the early days of Elixir strings people often complained they started going "fuzzy" very quickly, with the coating peeling off.  This was almost entirely explained by people yanking them thorough the bridge in the way they always had before, and they'd already "pre-damaged" them without realising!

Also, as with all bass strings, ALWAYS bend/kink the end before cutting to length.  It helps stop the windings loosening from the core.  IMHO this is the biggest reason why people experience "dead" strings.

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Are these strings essentially what used to be D'Orazio strings?

In a word, yes but absolutely not...

Markbass acquired D'Orazio last year, so the tradition, expertise and some of the guys/makers are the same. However, the people and machinery was moved from the D'Orazio factory to the Markbass factory in Chieti, and in the last few months the team has grown, they have made considerable new investments in plant/machinery, fired by Marco's boundless energy and passion.

With this expertise, innovation and increased capability they have developed new series, including the new LongEvo strings and the new "Balanced" strings.

So essentially no!  I would suggest perhaps give some a try and tell us what you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I have Elixirs on my Thumb bass and always found them having a bit more tension for same gauge of strings. Is there any difference in tension between the normal MB strings and the coated ones. ?

Dave

Dave, the LongEvo 45-105s went onto my JV precision, which replaced a set of Elixir 45-105s without any changes to setup.  The coating is far less obvious on them compared to Elixir, which in my experience is much thicker, where the LongEvo feel much more like regular strings...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MSL Pro said:

I would suggest perhaps give some a try and tell us what you think?

If you're able to make a set of the LongEvo strings suitable for a 6 string 30.5 scale bass I will commit to buying a set and be happy to thoroughly and fairly review them. 

There is a very much increasing trend of short/medium scale bass players out there. This could be a good, mostly untapped, market! 

2 hours ago, MoJoKe said:

Dave, the LongEvo 45-105s went onto my JV precision, which replaced a set of Elixir 45-105s without any changes to setup.  The coating is far less obvious on them compared to Elixir, which in my experience is much thicker, where the LongEvo feel much more like regular strings...

Looking to put on my Sandberg. Does the tension feel much the same as elixirs.  I've  just ordered a set of the coated nickel ones. At £27 incl postage can't complain.

I've been using Elixir Nanowebs for years now, no issue and they stay bright for ages.  The only string I stray to are the DR Jonas Helborg sets (which I think have finally been discontinued, but I have two sets).

Ordered some of the coated MarkBass strings a few days back, they arrived yesterday and willbe going on my Spector LT later today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've been using Elixir Nanowebs for years now, no issue and they stay bright for ages.  The only string I stray to are the DR Jonas Helborg sets (which I think have finally been discontinued, but I have two sets).

Ordered some of the coated MarkBass strings a few days back, they arrived yesterday and willbe going on my Spector LT later today.

Let us know what you think.

Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looking to put on my Sandberg. Does the tension feel much the same as elixirs.  I've  just ordered a set of the coated nickel ones. At £27 incl postage can't complain.

I've not personally used Elixirs so can't comment. But love to know how you get on with the LongEvo's!

• Like 1

Can you tell us more about the coating process? Having been an elixir user for many years I was led to believe they had patented the process of coating AFTER the string has been wound, which keeps dirt out of the windings. Other coated strings I’ve tried coat the winding before wrapping which always seemed counter intuitive to me and the strings felt dead as a result.

Technology aside I look forward to trying these as the proof is in the pudding! 

We asked this of Italy, and Riccardo Damiani replied "they are treated after being wound, it is a special innovative nanotechnology process, you don't see or feel that... looking forward for your feedback when you'll try them".

We understand it is an ecologically sound and biocompatible coating, using a new Markbass proprietary coating process.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, binky_bass said:

If you're able to make a set of the LongEvo strings suitable for a 6 string 30.5 scale bass I will commit to buying a set and be happy to thoroughly and fairly review them. 

There is a very much increasing trend of short/medium scale bass players out there. This could be a good, mostly untapped, market! 

@MSL Pro are you able to make a set of LongEvo strings for a 30.5" scale 6 string bass? 

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@MSL Pro are you able to make a set of LongEvo strings for a 30.5" scale 6 string bass? 

We'd love to say yes, but thats down to Markbass!  We'll certainly ask, as you make a very good point in that there is definitely a growing market of short scale instruments.  I guess the challenge for string manufacturers is to know exactly how long the ball to taper length needs to be to fit the widest range of instruments, given that the average is around 30.7...   

In the meantime, the length between ball and taper on all Markbass strings is 94cm.  I don't know how you currently tune, and what gauges you use, but if its a fairly conventional 30-130, the only potential issue I can see is whether the B (and possibly E) strings would sit comfortably in your tuners, because as long as you bend the end before you cut them, then roundwounds will work absolutely fine shortened...?