Jump to content

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!


fretmeister

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Do you have any clips of your fav tweaked SnU octave up? I've shared one for the Digitech Mosaic. If the SnU is comparably good, I'll happily invest in one, but so far Mr @Baloney Balderdash has only come up with dare I say...baloney, with no dash of evidence to back up his claims! 😁

Sorry, I haven't pulled myself together to record anything yet.

But as I explained in my last post in this topic I don't think we are really looking for the same thing in an octaver or have the same idea of what a good 8 string bass tone is (a somewhat more dry, less synthy/chorusy kind of tone).

Try to listen to the clip of the 8 string bass that I explained sounded pretty close to in that post and I would think you'll get the idea of the kind of tone I have dialed in on my Sub'N'Up :

 

I'll still try to get to record some clips though at some point though.

 

Also this:

"...has only come up with dare I say...baloney, with no dash of evidence to back up his claims!"

Was totally uncalled for, I didn't exactly attack you or had intentions to brag in my replies, just sharing my honest opinion, it's not like I owe you a proof like you put it up like there.

 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Do you have any clips of your fav tweaked SnU octave up? I've shared one for the Digitech Mosaic. If the SnU is comparably good, I'll happily invest in one, but so far Mr @Baloney Balderdash has only come up with dare I say...baloney, with no dash of evidence to back up his claims! 😁

I'm afraid I don't and won't be able to record in the near future, sorry!

I've never played a Mosaic but I'm confident the Subnup is worth a punt if you are into octave up sounds. Very capable and flexible pedal. I have the big version which is cool for switching between your tweaked tone print and the stock presets. I only use the pedal for octave up, but I do toggle between the three preset slots. The 'classic' stock preset is a cool oc-2 type of thing, which sounds great up the octave. The big version also has the extra knob to assign tweak-y parameters to.

Edited by AJ567
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Sorry, I haven't pulled myself together to record anything yet.

But as I explained in my last post in this topic I don't think we are really looking for the same thing in an octaver or have the same idea of what a good 8 string bass tone is (a somewhat more dry, less synthy/chorusy kind of tone).

Try to listen to the clip of the 8 string bass that I explained it sounded pretty close to in that post and I would think you'll get the idea of the kind of tone I have dialed in on my Sub'N'Up :

 

I'll still try to get to recording some clips though at some point.

 

Also this:

"...has only come up with dare I say...baloney, with no dash of evidence to back up his claims!"

Was totally uncalled for, I didn't exactly attack you or had intentions to brag in my replies, just sharing my honest opinion, it's not like I owe you a proof like you put it up like there.

 

Tongue in cheek, my friend. It's what we Brits do! You'll get used to it...well after a few decades, haha! The clue was in the smiley face 😉

But I'm less interested in hearing clips of 8 string basses, that doesn't tell me anything really. Much more interested in hearing the SnU being validated with my own ears.

A sound clip is worth a thousand words! 

Really quick and easy to do if you have a looper pedal? 

Besides it was your suggestion to share clips in the first place wasn't it, if you scroll back? 

Edited by Al Krow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tongue in cheek, my friend. It's what we Brits do! You'll get used to it...well after a few decades, haha! The clue was in the smiley face 😉

But I'm less interested in hearing clips of 8 string basses, that doesn't tell me anything really. Much more interested in hearing the SnU being validated with my own ears. Really quick and easy to do if you have a looper pedal? 

 

Well, the purpose of the clips of 8 string basses was to explain what I considered a good 8 string tone and therefor was trying to achieve with my Sub'N'Up, which is quite different from the tone of your 8 string bass in the clip you provided and the sound of your Mosaic pedal, which did cope that tone pretty closely.

As I said after listening to your clips I realized we were not exactly going for the same kind of tone, or had quite the same idea of how an 8 string bass s supposed to sound, and I think this is pretty essential to know before listening to the clips of my bass through the Sub'N'Up, so you know what I was going for and that some 8 string basses does actually sound like that.

Just proofs, once I have pulled myself together to record some clips, that it does actually sound like an 8 string bass, like the one in the video I linked, even if not sounding much like yours in the clips you provided.

Like you need to have a reference for what I was aiming for, since it is definitely the same you are aiming for, or else we are just comparing apples to oranges. 

I don't happen to have an actual 8 string bass, so I can record reference clips, so I'll have to refer to a video with someone playing one that sounds what I am going for, right?

Also if this is not the tone you are going for, which it seems not to be from the clips you provided, I doubt you will be blown away with how I use my octaver. 

 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm just looking forward to hearing your (or any one's!) SnU octave up clips on bass. Load 'em up when you can 😊

Will do.

But please note that it will sound close to the clip I referred to, and pretty far from your 8 string bass in your clip.

I don't happen to have an actual 8 string bass, so I can record reference clips, so I'll have to refer to a video with someone playing one that sounds like what I am going for, right?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Will do.

But please note that it will sound close to the clip I referred to, and pretty far from your 8 string bass in your clip.

I don't happen to have an actual 8 string bass, so I can record reference clips, so I'll have to refer to a video with someone playing one that sounds like what I am going for, right?

I've had a listen to the 3 clips you've posted of 8 string basses and they're all fine - nothing I particularly dislike about any of them!

So if your Sub'n'Up clips come close, that works for me. You don't need to do a side by side comparison as such - particularly if you don't have an 8 string!

Just record a clip of the Sub'n'Up in octave-up mode in your favourite tweaked setting. Hopefully not too difficult.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I wonder whether this whole exchange might be better suited to its own thread, this is about the Boss OC-5 really.

Si

Yeah agreed - there are a couple of octaver-up threads where it would sit better on. Feel free to move them to there if you think better suited. I'll see if I can post a link to one below.

Here you go - this even has @AJ567's Sub'n'Up toneprint - so is exactly the right place to port the Mosaic and Sub'n'Up related comments to (the discussion started with BB's comment on Sept 27th about 8 string basses and extends to the next couple of pages on this thread).

I guess the connection is that a USP of the OC5 over other OC2 clones is its ability to provide octave up. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Janek Gwizdala posted a good demo the other day. The -1 octave sounds very similar to the OC2 imo, and maybe has a tiny bit more punch, but I'm not a huge fan of the +1 octave, that typical cold/sterile +1 sound you get from most pedals like POGs etc.
As he put it, it feels more like a guitar pedal than a bass pedal..

It looks like a good pedal for sure, but I wouldn't replace my OC2 with one tbh, not when I only use it for the -1 octave anyway.

EDIT: I see the Janek demo was posted here 30mins ago ^^^ check it out for sure

Edited by AinsleyWalker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Made a simple looped comparison with one of my OC-2's.
You can also play 'guess that bassline' haha

Nothing too fancy here, a loop using my Lakland US 44-94 passive P/J with La Bella Nickel Roundwounds. You'll want headphones/decent speakers to get the most out of this.

We don't touch the 'Poly' side of the OC-5, just comparing the 'Vintage' side to my Black Label Made In Taiwan OC-2.

We run through the classic 'no direct' comparisons, then with direct, the -2, and then a few options on the OC-5 alone, including the +1. I'm not a massive fan of the 'Poly' side, I think it's better than a POG, but I've just never been a fan of digital sounding low octaves. And while it's not poly, the 'Vintage' +1 sounds more pleasant to my ears too.

It's worth noting that the OC-5 has some extra heft to it, to get similar volumes out of each setting, you'll notice that I'm not turning up each control full, compared to the dimed OC-2. I don't have a problem with this, but goes to show that the OC-5 has more left in the tank if you need to get more extreme.

I was disappointed that we weren't getting a Waza OC-2 (OC-2W), I'd still like to see that, perhaps with a switch changing the -2 pot to a LPF sweep (fairly common 'synth' mod on OC-2), as well as an external footswitch input to flip between direct and no direct signal without having to bend down and turn the knob.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say the OC-5 has more bottom end (and considerably more volume) than the OC-2. Its a smoother octave, which some might prefer. To my ears, the OC-2 has something more going on in the mid frequencies that makes it seem fuller, even if it doesn’t go as deep as the OC-5.

It’s a considerable step up from the OC-3, but I’m going to stay hoping for an OC-2w...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/11/2020 at 12:27, Sibob said:

Made a simple looped comparison with one of my OC-2's.
You can also play 'guess that bassline' haha

Nothing too fancy here, a loop using my Lakland US 44-94 passive P/J with La Bella Nickel Roundwounds. You'll want headphones/decent speakers to get the most out of this.

We don't touch the 'Poly' side of the OC-5, just comparing the 'Vintage' side to my Black Label Made In Taiwan OC-2.

We run through the classic 'no direct' comparisons, then with direct, the -2, and then a few options on the OC-5 alone, including the +1. I'm not a massive fan of the 'Poly' side, I think it's better than a POG, but I've just never been a fan of digital sounding low octaves. And while it's not poly, the 'Vintage' +1 sounds more pleasant to my ears too.

It's worth noting that the OC-5 has some extra heft to it, to get similar volumes out of each setting, you'll notice that I'm not turning up each control full, compared to the dimed OC-2. I don't have a problem with this, but goes to show that the OC-5 has more left in the tank if you need to get more extreme.

I was disappointed that we weren't getting a Waza OC-2 (OC-2W), I'd still like to see that, perhaps with a switch changing the -2 pot to a LPF sweep (fairly common 'synth' mod on OC-2), as well as an external footswitch input to flip between direct and no direct signal without having to bend down and turn the knob.

Si

in the classic octave down no direct setting, i honestly am really struggling to hear a difference, and if there is it is so small its not worth mentioning

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

in the classic octave down no direct setting, i honestly am really struggling to hear a difference, and if there is it is so small its not worth mentioning

I’m with you, certainly nothing that would be noticeable in a gig setting!

Si

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

in the classic octave down no direct setting, i honestly am really struggling to hear a difference, and if there is it is so small its not worth mentioning

 

5 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I’m with you, certainly nothing that would be noticeable in a gig setting!

Si

Turning that around - I think you're both saying that the OC5 nails the OC2 classic sound!

It then adds octave up and you can get a new OC5 for not much more than a 30 year old OC2.

So whilst it might not be worth upgrading for existing OC2 owners, for someone who doesn't have either and wants the classic "OC2 sound" the OC5 seems to be a very attractive option and you no longer have to pay 3Leaf or MXR prices to get that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

 

Turning that around - I think you're both saying that the OC5 nails the OC2 classic sound!

It then adds octave up and you can get a new OC5 for not much more than a 30 year old OC2.

So whilst it might not be worth upgrading for existing OC2 owners, for someone who doesn't have either and wants the classic "OC2 sound" the OC5 seems to be a very attractive option and you no longer have to pay 3Leaf or MXR prices to get that.

wasnt meant as a bad thing, ive met many people who will listen to that a swear theres a diff ( listening with there eyes ) but yeh i do think this is a great option! i have an oc2 as its a classic pedal to have but ive got a oc5 incoming i also really wanna buy an octaver just for kicks and to have one

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

 

Turning that around - I think you're both saying that the OC5 nails the OC2 classic sound!

It then adds octave up and you can get a new OC5 for not much more than a 30 year old OC2.

So whilst it might not be worth upgrading for existing OC2 owners, for someone who doesn't have either and wants the classic "OC2 sound" the OC5 seems to be a very attractive option and you no longer have to pay 3Leaf or MXR prices to get that.

I very much concur with this!

Si

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

@Sibob is there any difference in feel?

I didn’t notice any real difference when comparing it to my ‘82 Octaver and early transition Taiwanese Octave. Some have claimed a difference in tracking, but I’ve always suggested that the OC-2 tracks well with a consistent (ie non-buzzy/good setup) round tone.

Si

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm hoping to have 6 or 7 OC-2ish things gathered here by the end of the week... will record some comparisons. I want to keep it short and to the point, is there anything anyone would particularly want to hear from them? 

Hoping for at least OC-2, OC-5, COG T16, Octavbre, MXR vintage, Mark Bass Mini...

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, knicknack said:

I'm hoping to have 6 or 7 OC-2ish things gathered here by the end of the week... will record some comparisons. I want to keep it short and to the point, is there anything anyone would particularly want to hear from them? 

Hoping for at least OC-2, OC-5, COG T16, Octavbre, MXR vintage, Mark Bass Mini...

Basically all next to the OC-2 with just the soloed 1 octave down. Is particularly like to hear the MXR VBO against the Octabvre III. I presume you scored one from BD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...