Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!

fretmeister

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Interested as to what you mean by a direct clone? Did MXR steal the chip design and algorithms? If not, they've clearly done a very decent job (obviously at a significantly higher price point), but... 

You'd think that Boss might know a thing or two about their own product range, and almost certainly more so than any rivals? 😊

You’d need to ask Janek - he loaned Dunlop his OC-2 while they did the development work. My guess is they studied the components and did oscilloscope tests to compare the sounds.

I wouldn’t always trust a company to know their own products - Selmer famously lost the blueprints to their beloved Mark VI saxes so that when they made the Reference series in the 2000s they had to track down good examples and reverse engineer the shape and metallurgy!

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I know several of you like to hear clips - so here's a couple from me:

- the first in 'classic OC-2' mode with just -1 oct max, vintage setting, finger 

- second (same riff) in more 'Royal Blood' mode with a bit of clean (3.5/10), +1 oct (5/10), -1 oct (max), poly setting - full range, pick into VTDI set for dirt.

In conclusion the OC-5 seems to give us both the OC-2 and the OC-3 with improved tracking for both and throws in an octave up. What's not to like? Definitely looking like a keeper!

OC-2 'classic'.wav 4.24 MB · 17 downloads OC-5 'RB'.wav 4.38 MB · 16 downloads

Nice demos Bas!

I love the 2nd one, like a dirty organ sound😁

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2021 at 18:13, Hellzero said:

And I love the Poly mode too as I can almost emulate an old Hammond B3. It's just missing the background noise and Leslie, but it's great sounding for some Indian music à la Trilok Gurtu with Jonas Hellborg.

@lee650 - cheers mate. Seems like Hellzero has already been dialling in the same!

I'm a fan of Poly mode too  - unquestionably better tracking, which is a key for me, and also cleaner. So for the three settings I would most likely have this on: 

Classic OC-2: Vintage mode

Budget Royal Blood / Hammond B3: Poly mode

Clean Octave - thickening**: Poly mode

**Dry 5/10,  +1 Oct min, -1 Oct max, Range max

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't compared side to side with my Octavbre mini yet, but tried on guitar. Annoyingly the range to set the lower octave on lowest notes also controls the upper octave. In an ideal world it would leave the upper octave intact and only control the lower. If you had this on guitar setting, and on bass setting had the reverse (only add lower octave on higher notes, upper on all) it would be a great improvement for me. I'll continue exploring it 🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jonathan Bee said:

...If you had this on guitar setting, and on bass setting had the reverse (only add lower octave on higher notes, upper on all) it would be a great improvement for me. I'll continue exploring it 🙂

I completely agree! Been banging on about this for ages but folk point out that this and the OC-3 have been primarily geared at the larger guitar market - I guess that's fair enough.

The clever trick would be for the bass switch to simultaneously reverse the range cut out as you suggest...Boss if you're listening, make our bass players' day! Go on, you know you can do it: if you can invent a SY-1 this isn't really going to be that hard 😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

OK, I think I need one of these after trying one earlier this week. 

Tbf I probably need an FI having seen the amazing stuff of what you've done on V3.60! I clearly got my FIs too soon i.e. before you managed to work your magic on it turning it from a PITA to something sooooo much better.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Tbf I probably need an FI having seen the amazing stuff of what you've done on V3.60! I clearly got my FIs too soon i.e. before you managed to work your magic on it turning it from a PITA to something sooooo much better.

Thanks. Sometimes these things take time. Remember Panda is literally Andras doing firmware and Zsolt doing the editor and both do lots of other work. 

On the plus side, you can now buy another used FI for way less than you sold your other ones. 

2 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Thanks. Sometimes these things take time. Remember Panda is literally Andras doing firmware and Zsolt doing the editor and both do lots of other work. 

On the plus side, you can now buy another used FI for way less than you sold your other ones. 

I hadn't realised that Andras was also the brains behind the original Deep Impact. 

Yup prices are coming down, you can get a new one for around £265 (allowing for forex) and a Roland UM-One Mk2 and you're good to go. 

I may just wait for V4 and new hardware to come out next year. After all if Damnation Audio can provide a more compact version of their classic MBD1, and GisserD has already shown it can be easily done.

Anyway back to OC-5s.... 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I hadn't realised that Andras was also the brains behind the original Deep Impact.

Yes, he invented it and it was released by Akai. There are obviously things which have been carried over, such as the form factor and hardware controls.

I may just wait for V4 and new hardware to come out next year.

That’s a pipe dream at this point. If you really want to hasten any potential development process then buying what’s currently available is the best way to support the company so that there’s capital to invest in future products.

Anyway back to OC-5s.... 

OK. We can always discuss the above on the FI thread. 

• 2 months later...

Fight! 

20210920_201344.thumb.jpg.9c7b96855024eff956ca0a9ed68b682a.jpg

The OC-5 wins on tracking and the solo vintage setting -1 Octave. The MXR 'growl' sounds close, but like it has a sore throat, but it also has the mid boost button and the 'girth' voice and perhaps sounds a bit better for subtle mild octave mixed in whereas the OC-5 is better for full-on stuff. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 3

On 21/09/2021 at 07:46, SumOne said:

Fight! 

20210920_201344.thumb.jpg.9c7b96855024eff956ca0a9ed68b682a.jpg

The OC-5 wins on tracking and the solo vintage setting -1 Octave. The MXR 'growl' sounds close, but like it has a sore throat, but it also has the mid boost button and the 'girth' voice and perhaps sounds a bit better for subtle mild octave mixed in whereas the OC-5 is better for full-on stuff. 

I've not used the OC5 but I have used the OC2 and currently have the MXR bass octave deluxe.  There is a difference but you'll be hard pressed to hear it in a live mix, and the MXR has the versatility of the mid boost and 'girt' as you say.  

36 minutes ago, CliveT said:

I've not used the OC5 but I have used the OC2 and currently have the MXR bass octave deluxe.  There is a difference but you'll be hard pressed to hear it in a live mix, and the MXR has the versatility of the mid boost and 'girt' as you say.  

After more playing around with both I actually think I prefer the slightly less polished more throaty/rough sounds of the MXR, but the tracking does let it down a bit. 

If buying new I'd probably go for the OC-5 as it's cheaper and has the +1 and poly sounds and tracks better but seeing as I already have the MXR that I was planning on selling for about £75 the new OC-5 is a £50 increase for me that I don't think I can justify that so will return it to Amazon for a refund (or if anyone wants to buy it from me at the £123 I paid rather than waiting for new stock then give me a shout). 

9 minutes ago, SumOne said:

After more playing around with both I actually think I prefer the slightly less polished more throaty/rough sounds of the MXR, but the tracking does let it down a bit. 

If buying new I'd probably go for the OC-5 as it's cheaper and has the +1 and poly sounds and tracks better but seeing as I already have the MXR that I was planning on selling for about £75 the new OC-5 is a £50 increase for me that I don't think I can justify that so will return it to Amazon for a refund (or if anyone wants to buy it from me at the £123 I paid rather than waiting for new stock then give me a shout). 

I may end up with yours anyway if they satisfy my order with your returned one. 

• Like 1

Got mine today. It’s great but so close to my MXR VBO that it doesn’t make sense for me to keep it, given I won’t use the poly or octave up. I’ve listed it in the marketplace for what I paid (£110) and they seem to be out of stock again. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 29/04/2021 at 11:40, mr zed said:

I used my OC-5 for the first time in a band rehearsal last week. It sounds epic! The tracking is flawless in the mix (and pretty damn good when used in isolation). It really filled the sound out. For those that have one of these on-order - you won't be disappointed!

I've managed to use this in anger at a couple of full band rehearsals too now, and this thing is ACE!! Band were really liking it. too.

For just playing actual notes + octave down to thicken out the sound: Vintage mode is rich and full and less "sterile" than Poly mode. But Poly mode works well if you want to include octave up, as the cleaner sound and better tracking in this mode prevents it becoming a sonic mush.

Amazing value for such a well featured octave pedal!

I think my personal octave journey is definitely hitting a pause and I'm looking forward to integrating my OC-5 into several set numbers.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

There are a few in stock on Amazon for anyone looking:

BOSS Oc-5 Octave Guitar And Bass Effect Pedal with Vintage And Poly Modes Plus 5-Year Warranty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08J3NVL57/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RN3208NFNDQQA6S3NBHJ

Thank you so much, been waiting months for one of these so now managed to order one. I owe you a beer sir 😁

• Like 1