Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!

fretmeister

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

The one at £121 is the only one in stock. Otherwise, you'll have to pay the full price...

Where does it say there’s any in stock?  I see the status as “ordered”??

I had an OC-5 on loan from Boss to try it, found it very impressive from a 'copping an OC-2 sound' point of view, WAY better than the OC-3, which was terrible.
However, there was just way more on it than I want/need, it's definitely aimed at the acoustic/guitar market over the bass market in my opinion.....which is odd given it's heritage. I get it from a commercial point of view, but still.
I'll wait for a Waza OC-2, and use my originals until then :) 

Si

Edited by Sibob

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

I had an OC-5 on loan from Boss to try it, found it very impressive from a 'copping an OC-2 sound' point of view, WAY better than the OC-3, which was terrible.
However, there was just way more on it than I want/need, it's definitely aimed at the acoustic/guitar market over the bass market in my opinion.....which is odd given it's heritage. I get it from a commercial point of view, but still.
I'll wait for a Waza OC-2, and use my originals until then :) 

Si

Is there any real indication that there will be a waza?

10 minutes ago, Kev said:

Ha, well yeah I just kinda figured the OC-5 release with this best-yet oc-2 imitation would sort of kill off any idea of a Waza OC-2 coming out anytime soon at least.

I figure that, in the same way that the Waza DM2 fits in with their DDx offerings, a Waza OC2 will bring back some of the potential 'vintage' OC2 revenue from people who need less in a pedal than the OC5, and have a penchant for the OC2 name.

We'll see :)

Si

Edited by Sibob

6 hours ago, Sibob said:

I figure that, in the same way that the Waza DM2 fits in with their DDx offerings, a Waza OC2 will bring back some of the potential 'vintage' OC2 revenue from people who need less in a pedal than the OC5, and have a penchant for the OC2 name.

We'll see :)

Si

I read a translation of a Japanese article that the OC-5 was nearly called the OC-2W but that the new tech moved it away from the 2 sufficiently that it needed a new name.

so the OC-5 is the 2 Waza really. Can’t see a separate one coming.

• Like 3

Interestingly, Amazon claim to be getting this in stock next Wednesday, when everywhere else is saying months, and they’re doing it for £114 with the option to pay over 5 interest free instalments, first to go out at dispatch.  Nothing to lose there, ordered 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Kev said:

Interestingly, Amazon claim to be getting this in stock next Wednesday, when everywhere else is saying months, and they’re doing it for £114 with the option to pay over 5 interest free instalments, first to go out at dispatch.  Nothing to lose there, ordered 🙂

That's a good price - thanks for the heads up. Also ordered. 

I used my OC-5 for the first time in a band rehearsal last week. It sounds epic! The tracking is flawless in the mix (and pretty damn good when used in isolation). It really filled the sound out. For those that have one of these on-order - you won't be disappointed!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mr zed said:

I used my OC-5 for the first time in a band rehearsal last week. It sounds epic! The tracking is flawless in the mix (and pretty damn good when used in isolation). It really filled the sound out. For those that have one of these on-order - you won't be disappointed!

Great to hear!

In terms of tracking - how low are you managing to get it to track without glitching?

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Great to hear!

In terms of tracking - how low are you managing to get it to track without glitching?

Depending on the way you attack your note and the bass, the low B on most of my (luthier) basses is not glitching. The tracking of this OC-5 is just fantastic. Compared to the the integrated octaver in my EBS Taurus combo, so the first Octaver to beat the OC-2, the OC-5 goes an octave (sorry) lower as the EBS starts glitching around the D on the E string and the B on the A string.

Will try again later with all my basses and even my sixer EUB (just for fun as it won't track the low B for sure and certainly not to the low E too).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Depending on the way you attack your note and the bass, the low B on most of my (luthier) basses is not glitching. The tracking of this OC-5 is just fantastic. Compared to the the integrated octaver in my EBS Taurus combo, so the first Octaver to beat the OC-2, the OC-5 goes an octave (sorry) lower as the EBS starts glitching around the D on the E string and the B on the A string.

Will try again later with all my basses and even my sixer EUB (just for fun as it won't track the low B for sure and certainly not to the low E too).

Wow! 

Thanks for that confirmation - and look forward to getting your update.

On 22/04/2021 at 10:59, Sibob said:

I have to agree with your comment about the OC-3 which, FWIW I rated as my worst bass gear purchase in 2019(!) - but mostly from a poor tracking perspective. I guess why I'm really glad to be hearing the comments above about how well the OC-5 tracks.

Seems like Boss may well have taken some of the tracking tech from their SY-1 pedal which is sitting on my board and has ridiculously good tracking.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Sorry I beat you to it this time around 😁 (PS did you get around to re-checking the OC-5 tracking?)

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Only on my Le Fay Remington Steele 6 (fretless) that seems to be my everyday bass now and it's tracking down to the low B, but this Le Fay is so damn precise (it's a real low B zero you get) that the opposite would have seemed strange.

Maybe some more this afternoon if don't get glued to the metal fingerboard. 🤣

Pulling these two posts back onto the right discussion thread 😊

Blimey - tracking down to a low B without glitching?!!! That's super impressive (and reminds me of what my SY-1 does, so maybe they did share tracking algorithms which would make perfect sense). But even if it tracks down to "only" give an octave below a low E, that for me is plenty good enough, as you're then going below what we can actually hear, although not having a glitchy note impacting your bass line if you're going even lower is an added bonus. 

Looking forward to Kev's feedback, too, shortly and hopefully mine will arrive at some point next week also.

On 01/05/2021 at 11:38, Al Krow said:

That's super impressive (and reminds me of what my SY-1 does, so maybe they did share tracking algorithms which would make perfect sense).

I think I remember reading in the marketing bumpf that it did indeed utilise the SY-1 tracking circuit. 

23 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Oops, glued to the metal fingerboard again.

No probs - I'll be able to check it out for myself now! :) 

Pedal has just arrived and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin tomorrow.

A fellow BC'er said they had sold out on Amazon also now...

• Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 12:34, Al Krow said:

I have to agree with your comment about the OC-3 which, FWIW I rated as my worst bass gear purchase in 2019(!) -

No surprise there. It's aimed at guitarists, and in particular acoustic guitarists, not bass players.

55 minutes ago, pete.young said:

No surprise there. It's aimed at guitarists, and in particular acoustic guitarists, not bass players.

Hmmm...if it's definitely not aimed at bass players then why does the OC-3 go to the trouble of having a separate "bass" input?

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm...if it's definitely not aimed at bass players then why does the OC-3 go to the trouble of having a separate "bass" input?

Never had a issue on bass with my Oc3......like you say it has a bass input.......also with the drive and other functions id say it was aimed more for bassists than acoustic players