Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!

fretmeister

I managed to find a VBO for sale, so it's a nice bunch for the shootout! I've been getting familar with all of them over the last few days, it's been very interesting. I swear my favourite changes on an hourly basis! Initial thoughts on the OC-5 are that it's very impressive!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, knicknack said:

I managed to find a VBO for sale, so it's a nice bunch for the shootout! I've been getting familar with all of them over the last few days, it's been very interesting. I swear my favourite changes on an hourly basis! Initial thoughts on the OC-5 are that it's very impressive!

This should be excellent, looking forward to it. You're just missing a Valeton OC-10! 

Edited by Al Krow

I’ve a Red Witch Zeus but it’s basically an oc2 circuit with clean blend (and the fuzz circuit of course) as far as I can hear it. The more sub you give it the more of that oc2 ‘synth/sub’ thing it does. I find it very pleasing and it does have the quirk/glitch as some octaves do it’s fun and full range (as a sub/fuzz) and integration with my stomp fx loop is bang on on both sides. Not sure if you’ve tried any of the red witch dual bass pedals but I’m guessing the sub side is the same on the factotum too. Worth a try!

Edited by krispn
Spealing anf rhat

Here we go... whilst waiting for the MXR to arrive I've put together a little Boss Blind Test shootout! I'd love to hear what you thought before the reveal!

Going to film the 6-pedal test over the next few days, so any feedback/requests very welcome, I want them to be as useful and representative as possible. Trying to keep the playing simple, and there's no EQ/compression going on at all.

Edit... for the Sub only settings the OC-2 is maxed, and the OC-5 at about 2 O'Clock. Both pulled back a little alongside the dry signal. 

Edited by knicknack
  • Like 2

Nice one, I liked them both equally tbh! I’ve got 2 OC2 pedals, one with each type of chip set in and I can’t tell the difference between those two really. This OC5 kinda adds to that mix, not identical but close enough in a mix to keep people grooving 😁👍🏼

Edited by jimbobothy

@knicknack (aka Switcharoo?) - loved the format of that comparison video: great job!

The OC-5 pretty much nails the OC-2 to my non-connoisseur ears.

From your further comment, also cool that it has more headroom on the sub-only setting vs the familiar volume loss on the OC-2.

Why go boutique when you can go Boss and for a fraction of the price? 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I’ll comment more when I’ve put out the full video, but I’m definitely rethinking which one goes on my board from the collection. 6 great pedals but I’m developing a clear favourite. Trying to get across the feel and ‘subby’ness is tricky!

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@knicknack 

Why go boutique when you can go Boss and for a fraction of the price? 😁

As a longtime user of OC2 many many years ago (why did I sell it...well I sold everything and didn't play for some time) and the dilemma what to go for now I'm so glad I went with the OC5 in the end. The down and up sounds are both as I wanted/like. Wonderful pedal that I can see myself enjoy for many many more years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, knicknack said:

Here we go... whilst waiting for the MXR to arrive I've put together a little Boss Blind Test shootout! I'd love to hear what you thought before the reveal!

Going to film the 6-pedal test over the next few days, so any feedback/requests very welcome, I want them to be as useful and representative as possible. Trying to keep the playing simple, and there's no EQ/compression going on at all.

Edit... for the Sub only settings the OC-2 is maxed, and the OC-5 at about 2 O'Clock. Both pulled back a little alongside the dry signal. 

Exactly my feeling about the difference. The OC-5 is more precise and the OC-2 is more idiosyncratic. Other than that, there might be some glitches making one sound a bit more growly sometimes and next time it's the other. The OC-5 is a true success : thanks Boss. No need to spend €/£ 200 on a second-hand Japanese OC-2 anymore, when you can almost get 2 brand new OC-5's for the same price.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...