Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!

fretmeister

On 23/11/2020 at 18:24, knicknack said:

I'm hoping to have 6 or 7 OC-2ish things gathered here by the end of the week... will record some comparisons. I want to keep it short and to the point, is there anything anyone would particularly want to hear from them? 

Hoping for at least OC-2, OC-5, COG T16, Octavbre, MXR vintage, Mark Bass Mini...

Any development on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Got the last one available anywhere, by Music Store, last week. In fact, I prefer the poly mode to the vintage one tone wise, but the OC-5 is still idiosyncratic like the OC-2 and, to me, it's an important part of the equation...

7 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Got the last one available anywhere, by Music Store, last week. In fact, I prefer the poly mode to the vintage one tone wise, but the OC-5 is still idiosyncratic like the OC-2 and, to me, it's an important part of the equation...

These really are proving popular if they're already sold out! Well done Boss with coming up with a great OC2 replacement (from the vast majority of comments I've seen anyway) at an affordable price point!

I've been researching octave pedals since watching the Guy Pratt lockdown videos and the OC5 ended up top of my list. I noticed last night that nowhere seemed to have stock so finally looked at Amazon who had plenty. Saw your post and thought I'd share the link for you however I seem to have bought one for myself before sharing lol 😆 

• Haha 1

I'm still toying between this, A micro POG or Octabvre. Appreciate the latter only goes lower. If I went that route I was tempted by a whammy to go 'up'.

I really want to be able to go down or up or both together. I saw a boutique octaver that looked like it was built like a tank, memory says it was basically bare metal, that did this but can't for the life of me recall its brand or name. Anyone?

So pending that OC5 is top of list for sounds but not ideal for preferred switching options. 

@Mikey D Digital octave down just doesn't sound great, and analog octave up doesn't really exist (it sounds more like fuzz). I use the octabvre for down, and a TC Sub'n'up for octave up. They sound great together, and by having two pedals you get all the switching options. TC Sup'n'up can be had pretty cheap these days, especially the mini version. With the tone print editor you can get it to sound very pog-like if that's your thing. It also does a whole lot more than the pog.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:01, Mikey D said:

I really want to be able to go down or up or both together. I saw a boutique octaver that looked like it was built like a tank, memory says it was basically bare metal, that did this but can't for the life of me recall its brand or name. Anyone?

Foxrox Octron 2 or 3?

https://www.foxroxelectronics.com/Octron2.html

I had an oc-2 back in the day (thanks Pino) but moved it on years later as part of a clear out. Just bought the oc-5. On the vintage setting it sounds exactly as I remember the oc-2 but tighter with the improved tracking. Very impressed indeed.

Edited by mr zed
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

For the money it's almost a no brainer compared to the competition! 

Basically this.  When i reminded myself how much I liked my OC2 and started looking at the more boutique offerings I feltt his was the way to go.  I have a budget to treat myself for birthday so this way maybe get 2 pedals vs 1! :) Now the search for the right envelope filter begins...