Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!

fretmeister

11 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As for the rest I guess that is fair enough, to each their own.

As per your suggestion, I'd still be very interested to hear a clip from you with your TC Sub'N'Up on octave-up with your settings, to see if it matches the Digitech Mosaic; which I hope you'll agree is really very good once you've had a listen to the clips posted above? 

On 27/09/2020 at 21:35, Doddy said:

for me, I can get the sound I want quicker and easier on the Ricochet.

Me too! Also in one song I need a low D, but only a couple of times. Ricochet on 'momentary' set to 2 down - boom! It's great. 

The octave up sound us so good I've recorded me playing chords with it and people have assumed it was a guitar! 

On 27/09/2020 at 18:32, Al Krow said:

Here you go - my Digitech Mosaic recordings at the start of this thread:

Look forward to hearing the TC Sub'N'Up.

On 28/09/2020 at 10:26, Al Krow said:

As per your suggestion, I'd still be very interested to hear a clip from you with your TC Sub'N'Up on octave-up with your settings, to see if it matches the Digitech Mosaic; which I hope you'll agree is really very good once you've had a listen to the clips posted above? 

Well, the clips of the real 8 string bass in the OP of that thread does sound quite synthy compared to the ones I've heard, but yeah you nail that sound pretty closely with the Mosaic.

I am going for something sounding more like this though :

And I think I am able to approximate that pretty closely with my Sub'N'Up.

I'll record some clips when I get myself pulled together to do so, might take a few days though before I get it done.

Actually my "fake 8 string bass" setup sounds really close, almost spot on, to the short bit with the demonstration of both pickups in humbucker mode here on the Haghström 8 string (starts at around the 00:25 time mark), but with the octave slightly more subdued, as in lower in the mix volume wise (though I can turn it up in a section of the recordings I make so you can hear it sounding pretty much like the snip of this video referred to), not actually really intentionally aiming to replicate the 8 string bass sound spot on, but using the same principle/concept to get a similar functionality, though while still aiming for it to sound as natural as possible (you should properly also know that I got my bass tuned to G standard, as in 3 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, or 2 half steps bellow A standard baritone guitar tuning, though I guess that doesn't really change the fact that the tone I got dialed in sounds very similar to the snip of this video I referred to) :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, MDWagstaff said:

Same the Anderson’s product page says expected delivery 26th but I’m unsure on if that’s delivery to me or to them

Yeah, I ordered from Andertons too, but I think GAK and all the rest are showing as unavailable at the moment too.

Sorry, completely forgot to post this super quick comparison:

Old OC-2 Octaver & OC-5.
I’ll do another with a newer OC-2 as, while the circuit never changed (they all sound the same), they did fix the volume drop issue, which certainly causes some psycho-acoustic “louder is better” vibes

Headphones needed!!:

Si

@Baloney Balderdash picking up on your earlier post: 

"Actually my "fake 8 string bass" setup sounds really close, almost spot on, to the short bit with the demonstration of both pickups in humbucker mode...And I think I am able to approximate that pretty closely with my Sub'N'Up.

I'll record some clips when I get myself pulled together to do so, might take a few days though before I get it done."

I'm actually quite tempted to get a Sub'n'Up Mini based on your comments. Several BC'ers have, however, described the Sub'n'Up as being quite "tinny" on octave up and my own recollection is that it had a bit of latency when I tried it out on factory settings in the store.

But if you've cracked it, then it would definitely be worth another look for me and an incentive to investing time in the TonePrint editor in the knowledge that it can actually deliver, as the ability to provide both oct down and up simultaneously in such a small form factor and at a relatively good price, compared to many other octavers, is very appealing.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to your clips! 😊

Edited by Al Krow

I actually really like the OC-5's analogue side for the Octave Up. The digital side octave down and up is very Sub-n-up/Pog'y, whereas the Analogue side octave down really cops the OC-2 vibe (as above), and I think the octave up is thicker, a tiny bit of fuzz on the top end (standard, can't be heard in a mix anyway), so not super clean, but definitely not tinny.

Si

17 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I actually really like the OC-5's analogue side for the Octave Up. The digital side octave down and up is very Sub-n-up/Pog'y, whereas the Analogue side octave down really cops the OC-2 vibe (as above), and I think the octave up is thicker, a tiny bit of fuzz on the top end (standard, can't be heard in a mix anyway), so not super clean, but definitely not tinny.

Si

Yeah the OC5 does look really good! Just waiting for BB to validate his high regard for the SnU (the compact form factor of the mini is very appealing) with some decent clips...

1 minute ago, iamtheelvy said:

Well, my OC-5 is delayed, but other tryouts are going well...

F46569BE-195A-49D2-A764-9B08394285F7.jpeg

Initial thoughts are that the Octabvre nails the OC-2 tone and feel, but that was really expected. Surprise was how close the Valeton is too. 

The MXR is close, tone-wise, but the ‘improved’ tracking makes it play slightly differently. However, it has its own thing going on and I actually prefer it to the Boss with the Oct-1 soloed.

Any other recommendations for OC-2-alikes...?

On 26/10/2020 at 11:09, Al Krow said:

@Baloney Balderdash picking up on your earlier post: 

"Actually my "fake 8 string bass" setup sounds really close, almost spot on, to the short bit with the demonstration of both pickups in humbucker mode...And I think I am able to approximate that pretty closely with my Sub'N'Up.

I'll record some clips when I get myself pulled together to do so, might take a few days though before I get it done."

I'm actually quite tempted to get a Sub'n'Up Mini based on your comments. Several BC'ers have, however, described the Sub'n'Up as being quite "tinny" on octave up and my own recollection is that it had a bit of latency when I tried it out on factory settings in the store.

But if you've cracked it, then it would definitely be worth another look for me and an incentive to investing time in the TonePrint editor in the knowledge that it can actually deliver, as the ability to provide both oct down and up simultaneously in such a small form factor and at a relatively good price, compared to many other octavers, is very appealing.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to your clips! 😊

The sub'n'up is great for octave up. You can use the toneprint editor to EQ the upper octave voice to your heart's content, so you should be able to get it sounding as you want it to sound. You can also add some drive or chorus etc., then map the knobs so they control whatever parameters you want. Really knocks it out of the park IMO

It does have some latency, but if you think about it, it's actually necessary for 'clean' octave up. If there was absolutely zero latency then your ear wouldn't hear two distinct notes an octave apart, it would sound more like your regular bass sound with boosted upper partials. The same doesn't really apply for octave down, which is why analogue octave down (with no latency) is so satisfying (while digital octave down is so... meh).

Edited by AJ567
  • Like 1