Why become a member? ×

Boss OC-5 Octave!!!!

fretmeister

Somebody beat me to it. I posted on the Octaver thread. There will be plenty of bass demos along soon I'm sure. Janek Gwizdala is bound to do one for a start. I always use a BC1X in front of an OC2 as a safety valve for the input level anyway and other than it going nasty when I occasionally hit the input too hard without it, I've never noticed any major difference in the tracking. Forget it below ~A basically.  I'm more interested in the poly-mode latency - something that has so far put me off digital octave down options like the Sub N Up. £120 is around what a s/h OC2 goes for these days so if it only does that one thing well, it will be a hit.

I’m more interested in the custom prickguard he has on that Lakland DJ5!

On a serious note though, Boss will need to price this competitively as there are now so many OC2-alikes on the market. Some smaller, some cheaper, some with more gain in the circuit, some with other bells & whistles.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

39 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I’m more interested in the custom prickguard he has on that Lakland DJ5!

On a serious note though, Boss will need to price this competitively as there are now so many OC2-alikes on the market. Some smaller, some cheaper, some with more gain in the circuit, some with other bells & whistles.

Will be interesting to see how it does.

£119 at Andertons 

Preordered this lunchtime! If this can pull of the OC-2 tone with better tracking then happy days. I’m expecting better from this than the OC-3’s emulation, but still concerned that it’s digital rather than all analogue.

I’d still snatch up an OC-2w in a heartbeat...

I'll probably add one of these to the collection at some point, but I'm a bit surprised that Boss have stuck with a digital pedal rather than going analogue. They seem to be going more for the Micro Pog/Sub n Up market, which is cool, but I would have thought that they would be better off going after pedals like the Octabvre/ MXR Vintage Bass Octave, and making a pedal that will give the classic, analogue Boss octave sound that everyone is asking for and is super popular lately. Also, they are probably aiming more at the guitar market, who generally don't seem as fussed about the subby, synthy, glitchy goodness of the old OC2.   

I still want to try one out though.

4 hours ago, iamtheelvy said:

Preordered this lunchtime! If this can pull of the OC-2 tone with better tracking then happy days. I’m expecting better from this than the OC-3’s emulation, but still concerned that it’s digital rather than all analogue.

I’d still snatch up an OC-2w in a heartbeat...

From what I gather this effectively is an OC2W

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

From what I gather this effectively is an OC2W

I’m not so sure! The other Wazacraft pedals have the same basic control layout. Logic would dictate that an OC-2w would only have OCT1, OCT2 and Direct Level controls (possibly with a custom switch to engage a modification - ideally it would be the mod to rectify the volume drop!).

If you were looking for a ‘new’ OC-2, and ended up using this new OC-5 purely for the ‘OC-2’ circuit, you’d be wasting half the functionality of the pedal and you’d have to make do with using two much smaller controls to do it.

Personally, I think this looks more like an upgraded OC-3 to capture fans of polyphonic octave pedals like POG etc, with the addition of the OC-2 circuit to try and drag some bass players along for the ride.

I agree with @iamtheelvy - A true OC-2w would be a far more attractive proposition!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lee650 said:

I got really excited for a minute! Then realised it's a souped up OC3/POG hybrid. I'm assuming it's digital? 

I'm still waiting on a Wazacraft Analog OC2 reissue,and watch them fly off the shelves.

with this coming along i really dnt see a oc2 waza happening, at the end of the day this is that basically vintage is the standard and Poly is the custom.

12 minutes ago, iamtheelvy said:

Boss are out in force on social media tonight pushing the point the the vintage mode “is” the OC-2 tone...

Guess we’ll wait and see...

Might be the ‘tone’ but by “fixing” the tracking, it will kill the character that bass players love!

10 minutes ago, iamtheelvy said:

Could be. Well, pedals are out at the end of the month. I’ve an ‘82 OC-2 ready and waiting for a side-by-side comparison. Winner stays on the board...

15 minutes ago, skej21 said:

Might be the ‘tone’ but by “fixing” the tracking, it will kill the character that bass players love!

from the few demos ive seen its as mono as the Oc2 i have still has the cool flutters, i genuinely believe this is the reason we arent getting the Oc2w as they have put this into the similar format with the switch but given it a major addition which takes it to far away from the Oc2

7 hours ago, cLepto-bass said:

Have to say I am a lot more impressed with that than I was expecting. 

Anyone know when they might become available? I'm itching to buy a new pedal and this could be it.

Should be end of the month. Andertons said around the 28th I think.

• Like 1