Why become a member? ×

What is a ‘modern c’ neck shape?

Greg.Bassman

Hello. Can someone confirm what a ‘modern c’ neck shape is for me please?

I have always thought that it is basically a thinner ‘c shape’ [equally left to right]. But then, I have found this image that shows that the left side is thinner than the right. So now I am confused. Am I misinterpreting the image wrong or is this the case. If so… 

1) Would this not feel awkward on the hand as there is no symmetry to it?
2) What is the intended purpose and/or benefits of this shape?

I hope this makes sense! Thank you.

Moderncneck.jpg

2 hours ago, Drax said:

Ah that’s just a bad drawing. Modern C is symmetrical. 

+1! There are a zillion variants on neck shapes but the chart below is a useful guide for the most common traditional shapes. Assymetrical neck shapes are also available and can look similar to your drawing.

100420534_Neckshapes.thumb.jpg.d30dbf0c3e1c8be8d408afcbb2f06ee1.jpg

Edited by ikay
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Greg.Bassman said:

Hello. Can someone confirm what a ‘modern c’ neck shape is for me please?

I have always thought that it is basically a thinner ‘c shape’ [equally left to right]. But then, I have found this image that shows that the left side is thinner than the right. So now I am confused. Am I misinterpreting the image wrong or is this the case. If so… 

1) Would this not feel awkward on the hand as there is no symmetry to it?
2) What is the intended purpose and/or benefits of this shape?

I hope this makes sense! Thank you.

Moderncneck.jpg

Some people prefer asymmetrical necks. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your feedback. I thought that was the case, but I had to be sure. There are other images out there that are much clearer, such as this one [SEE attached] which labels the bottom shape as ‘c asym’ and you can see clearly see its ‘egg’ like shape as opposed to the symmetrical ‘c’ shape seen in the one above.

Just out of curiosity, what is the intended purpose and/or benefits of a ‘c asymmetrical’ shape?

Neckshapes.jpg

It's nuts that fender would put out such a confusing image!? I would also take that to be asymmetrical. I don't see how another other conclusion can be made! That imagine indicates that a "modern C" would be asymmetrical - and I don't believe that is the case. 

I find their explanations so frustrating - what then is a "60s C" in comparison to a "Modern C" and "Slim C"? These terms are all used, but never actually defined with measurements. I'm assuming that they can all be 1.5" at the nut (i.e. a jazz), and I know that they refer to the shape of the profile (so, not to be confused with "A", "B", "C" necks - which is always a confusing tangent). So, these "modern", "60s" and "slim" terms must refer to the depth from fretboard to back of the neck, and how that tapers from fret 1 to fret ~21.

Would love to know those depth dimensions - and specifically which is the skinniest at the 1st fret.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RaNoFuNkY said:

It's nuts that fender would put out such a confusing image!? I would also take that to be asymmetrical. I don't see how another other conclusion can be made! That imagine indicates that a "modern C" would be asymmetrical - and I don't believe that is the case. 

I find their explanations so frustrating - what then is a "60s C" in comparison to a "Modern C" and "Slim C"? These terms are all used, but never actually defined with measurements. I'm assuming that they can all be 1.5" at the nut (i.e. a jazz), and I know that they refer to the shape of the profile (so, not to be confused with "A", "B", "C" necks - which is always a confusing tangent). So, these "modern", "60s" and "slim" terms must refer to the depth from fretboard to back of the neck, and how that tapers from fret 1 to fret ~21.

Would love to know those depth dimensions - and specifically which is the skinniest at the 1st fret.

Well spotted. I did not want to shop them out by naming names, but yes, this image was taken from the fender website. Very confusing that they have done this.