Jump to content
spectoremg

Moog Taurus 3

Recommended Posts

Seems on the high side, but obviously there aren't many around so if you really want a moog taurus 3, you don't have much choice. If you want the sounds you obviously have a lot more choices a lot cheaper.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Seems on the high side, but obviously there aren't many around so if you really want a moog taurus 3, you don't have much choice. If you want the sounds you obviously have a lot more choices a lot cheaper.

 

I currently have a Minitaur/Mcmillen 12 step but I find it a pain. I much prefer actual pedals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

I currently have a Minitaur/Mcmillen 12 step but I find it a pain. I much prefer actual pedals. 

Fair enough, they are heavy things. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Fair enough, they are heavy things. 

Cheers for your replies. My GAS has cooled. I'll probably find myself some PK pedals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Cheers for your replies. My GAS has cooled. I'll probably find myself some PK pedals. 

Probably the sensible decision, it is what I would like to think I would go for. I played a set of taurus 3 and they were fun but once you get over the "OMG I am playing a moog Taurus" they weren't actually that special!

I have the 12 step and often think a set of PK pedals would be good, but it is another thing to shlep around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Probably the sensible decision, it is what I would like to think I would go for. I played a set of taurus 3 and they were fun but once you get over the "OMG I am playing a moog Taurus" they weren't actually that special!

I have the 12 step and often think a set of PK pedals would be good, but it is another thing to shlep around.

I had a PK-5 before and they're marvellous. Best feature is they'll run on batteries. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2020 at 19:31, spectoremg said:

I currently have a Minitaur/Mcmillen 12 step but I find it a pain. I much prefer actual pedals. 

I have a Minitaur & PK-5A pedals; I do have a 12-step, but haven't got 'round to programming it.

I would like a T3, but that price does seem high.

Mine did make an appearance at the last SE Bass Bash; see Sylvia's blog:

 

Edited by prowla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you have a suitable controller, you have more options than Moog alone e.g. I would also consider one of the Behringers such as the Model D (which is on sale because it's being replaced by the Poly D) or the Pro-1 (the one I'm most interested in as a general synth).

The Minitaur looks to me like a fairly standard 2-oscillator analogue synth module, but with fewer options e.g. no noise source, no pulse width control, oscillator sync control by MIDI only. Maybe simpler is better if you're focused on getting that sound only and aren't looking for a synth for more general use.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have Minitaur/12 step McMillan & as I only want one sound (sounds ace thru did flanger too) I kinda find this setup perfect, all flightcased :) (Minitaur etc hidden beneath board & one kettle lead to power everything) .. 

3DEEBBF8-86F7-434E-9376-ADEDD4E815A6.jpeg

Edited by sifi2112
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bnt said:

Once you have a suitable controller, you have more options than Moog alone e.g. I would also consider one of the Behringers such as the Model D (which is on sale because it's being replaced by the Poly D) or the Pro-1 (the one I'm most interested in as a general synth).

The Minitaur looks to me like a fairly standard 2-oscillator analogue synth module, but with fewer options e.g. no noise source, no pulse width control, oscillator sync control by MIDI only. Maybe simpler is better if you're focused on getting that sound only and aren't looking for a synth for more general use.

Nice informative post. I can't get to grips with my Minitaur and I too only want 'that' sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Nice informative post. I can't get to grips with my Minitaur and I too only want 'that' sound. 

I've got these which my PK-5A can drive.

  • Peavey Bass - some really good canned sounds, including a deep rich piano.
  • Minitaur - what it is.
  • 2x Roland JV-1010, one with a synth card and one with an orchestral one.

a63o8VV.jpg

I've not got so far with the JV-1010s yet, TBH.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Mine just connects to my iPad and iM1

I like that idea - I have some weird synth apps on my iPad, such as Synclavier Go, a recreation of the Synclavier II digital synth that was in all the top studios in the 1980s but cost as much as a house. Tony Banks even took one on the road with Genesis and it's all over their 1980s albums. One of the presets, "Galactic Cymbal", is the weird sound at the start of Michael Jackson's Beat It.

About Behringer - over the last few years they've been on a mission to recreate some classic analogue synths at much lower prices and with some modern features added. Sometimes their recreations are too good and replicate some of their flaws too, such as the quirks of the MiniMoog interface. Their Pro-1 is a version of the Sequential Circuits synth that e.g. Vince Clarke used heavily with Yazoo and early Depeche Mode, which was more flexible and usable, I thought. But their most impressive synth so far, I think, is the DeepMind, which started as an attempt to recreate the Roland Juno-60, but they kept going and added capabilities that are far more up-to-date. So it became its own thing and left the original far behind. The 6-voice model is a bargain, which I hope to get at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bnt said:

But their most impressive synth so far, I think, is the DeepMind, which started as an attempt to recreate the Roland Juno-60, but they kept going and added capabilities that are far more up-to-date. So it became its own thing and left the original far behind. The 6-voice model is a bargain, which I hope to get at some point.

Well, the deepmind is their synth, whereas all the others are just copies of older synths, so it is going to be more flexible.

If I was ever going to take a hardware synth to gig with, it would probably be the blofeld, as it is not only a fantastic synth, it can also do samples which is handy. But it is just more stuff to cart around and I have no shortage of that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't find that post from the guy who built his own pedals with a Waldorf Rocket synth module fairly recently. 

Edited by spectoremg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/09/2020 at 10:07, Woodinblack said:

Mine just connects to my iPad and iM1

Could you explain that to a numpty with pics please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spectoremg said:

Could you explain that to a numpty with pics please?

The pictures I have are a bit rubbish!

the 12 step connects with a right angled usb (because there is little space) long lead up my microphone stand to an iPad via the iPad camera connector. Korg iM1 is finning on my iPad (and the behringer x-air for the Mixer and a lyric app). Then the audio out connects via a really long jack to 2 mono jacks to the mixer.

i used to use an app called chord ion for chords but the 12 step is good for that, and also sends a program change when changing preset which picks a program on the iM1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if I have a Minitaur and a set of PK-5A, is it worth replacing them with a Taurus 3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, prowla said:

So, if I have a Minitaur and a set of PK-5A, is it worth replacing them with a Taurus 3?

I wouldn't unless you really want the all in one or the specific sounds of the Taurus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The pictures I have are a bit rubbish!

the 12 step connects with a right angled usb (because there is little space) long lead up my microphone stand to an iPad via the iPad camera connector. Korg iM1 is finning on my iPad (and the behringer x-air for the Mixer and a lyric app). Then the audio out connects via a really long jack to 2 mono jacks to the mixer.

i used to use an app called chord ion for chords but the 12 step is good for that, and also sends a program change when changing preset which picks a program on the iM1

 

Thanks for your advice, it's taken me in a different direction which is exactly what I needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my 12-step sat on a Pedaltrain Classic Junior.

OGmDN4y.jpg

The power supply and MIDI interface fit underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...