Why become a member? ×

FLEA - ALL BASSES

Bart Funk Bass

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

FLEA’s Music Man Fretless on ‘Blood Sugar Sex Magik’ album

Ha.

I like to think I know that album, and it's bass tones, back to front.  I never suspected that track had two different basses on it, but isolated its obvious that ain't no Wal!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Nice to see someone as obsessed with Flea as I am. Love your videos man.

I was at the Slane gig where he mostly used the punk sticker modulus. Still remember the fuzz bass solo intro to around the world like it was yesterday.

Best gig ever

Edited by horrorshowbass
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Nice to see someone as obsessed with Flea as I am. Love your videos man.

I was at the Slane gig where he mostly used the punk sticker modulus. Still remember the fuzz bass solo intro to around the world like it was yesterday.

Best gig ever

Thanks! It's an amazing show and the quality of the DVD is superb considering it's from 2003!

14 hours ago, Bart Funk Bass said:

FLEA's MODULUS basses - 15 of THEM !

Still his best tone. The RHCP 'Off the Map' DVD I bought back in my first year of playing bass, hooked me onto the Modulus sound. I had never, ever, heard a bass guitar sound anything like it. Explosive, crystal clear, detailed, ridiculous amounts of growl with a unique, pokey sound. I had to have one.

An absolute modern classic. He needs to go back to using them. The Jazz sounds so polite by comparison.

Edited by 40hz

2 hours ago, 40hz said:

Still his best tone. The RHCP 'Off the Map' DVD I bought back in my first year of playing bass, hooked me onto the Modulus sound. I had never, ever, heard a bass guitar sound anything like it. Explosive, crystal clear, detailed, ridiculous amounts of growl with a unique, pokey sound. I had to have one.

An absolute modern classic. He needs to go back to using them. The Jazz sounds so polite by comparison.

The jazz just isn't Flea, still sounds like him obviously.

Musicman missed a trick and now they're throwing sig basses to anyone.

• Like 3

Yup. Californication album is top of the tone crop for me. 

Interestingly,  I saw a vid on YouTube with a pickup comparison between a LP Legacy and stock Fender humbucker (using a flea active jazz) and the Fender pickup sounded best to me in that bass.

Makes me think that the Modulus Flea/FU comes together as more than the sum of it's parts.

Thanks as always Bart Funk Bass 👊

On 16/04/2022 at 02:25, machinehead said:

The Jazz 61 seems to have a hi mass bridge? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

Frank.

At 9:15, you can see a picture with his signature bass modelled after '61 Jazz. Fender started making it in 2016 and Flea took it on tour with him and played a few shows. His bass tech Tracy Robar installed a Fender Hi-Mass Bridge in it.

• Thanks 1