Why become a member? ×

FLEA - ALL BASSES

Bart Funk Bass

On 09/10/2020 at 19:07, Bart Funk Bass said:

Ahh.. River, River, River...

We really did lose one of the greats there. He achieved so much and yet had really only just begun.

He was so into his guitar too. Took it everywhere and 3 years on from this he was really good with his own sound going on. According to Flea himself I think it was. 

His beliefs and politics were years ahead of the curve and strong for someone so young too. Veganism and animal rights etc..

I believe he would have made great art and done great things with his position to influence..

I'm the same age as him and still sore about it all as you can tell. 

What a waste.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/12/2020 at 20:19, Vanheusen77 said:

Which tone do you guys prefer? The jazz, wal thing or the slightly “tighter” ray or modulus sound? To me he sort of goes back and forth between them on different albums.

It depends. I can't imagine Californication album on the StingRay. I really love the ultra aggressive sound of Modulus on it. However, Flea will always be that "StingRay guy" for me".

On 07/12/2020 at 19:19, Vanheusen77 said:

Which tone do you guys prefer? The jazz, wal thing or the slightly “tighter” ray or modulus sound? To me he sort of goes back and forth between them on different albums.

Wal, probably followed by Modulus. The tone on Blood Sugar reminds me (unsurprisingly) of Leigh Gorman of Bow Wow Wow, allowing for the fact they play very differently, and I love Leigh’s tone. 

On 11/12/2020 at 13:42, Bart Funk Bass said:

It depends. I can't imagine Californication album on the StingRay. I really love the ultra aggressive sound of Modulus on it. However, Flea will always be that "StingRay guy" for me".

Although I have a Modulus Flea, my favourite Flea tone is the Spector NS2 JJ from Uplift Mofo!

• Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 19:19, Vanheusen77 said:

Wal thing by a mile, the BSSM tone is probably one of my favourite studio bass tones.  Just awesome.  His tone for me just sound "modern" on all records since, nothing else really stands out as such.

• Like 1

A jazz type bass and the wal actually sounds almost exactly the same through a gk like amp setup. Check this sound test between wal and yamaha bb604 basses playing a Flea bass line: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/wal-tone-for-320-the-answer-is.1475984/

It sounds much more similar than I would have thought but there it is. I think a big part of the BSSM sound is actually the amp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...