Why become a member? ×

SOLD Alembic Deluxe 5
£5950
Zagreb, Croatia

gorandelac

• 5 weeks later...

Update by Jan 1st: Buyer‘s from within UK should be aware that for imports from EU to UK since Jan 1st the UK VAT will be applicable. This VAT has to be paid by the UK buyer once the goods are crossing the borders. Note: As a private seller in EU I can not reduce the price for second hand goods as VAT has never been included in the price.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, gorandelac said:

Update by Jan 1st: Buyer‘s from within UK should be aware that for imports from EU to UK since Jan 1st the UK VAT will be applicable. This VAT has to be paid by the UK buyer once the goods are crossing the borders. Note: As a private seller in EU I can not reduce the price for second hand goods as VAT has never been included in the price.

Are you sure this applies to second hand goods and private sales ?
If so, this is a real issue.

All I could find - after a quick search - is the following :
https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9202903000

Edited by claustra

Correction:  if the bass comes from the EU then there is no duty to pay.  Only VAT and admin fees!  Not so bad then.

No "tariff" on goods imported from the EU; but you sure as hell have to pay VAT on the declared value of the item AND pay customs duty AND pay the shippers admin fees for doing all the stupid paperwork.  Makes no difference if it's 2nd hand or not. 

If the seller is VAT registered then they can knock the sales VAT applicable in their own country off the price, then you pay the UK VAT when it arrives.  Sadly most of us are not VAT registered ... the company I own is VAT registered, but the basses are mine not the companies. 

Importing from the EU is now a lot  just like importing from the USA  (https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/blogs/news/im-importing-a-guitar-from-the-usa-where-do-i-even-begin)

The example in that blog concludes " For a guitar that is $2500, you are now looking at a final landed price into the UK of $3454. "

HOWEVER:  found this useful site that works it out for you https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

For someone in the UK, this lovely Alembic would cost £5950 + 20% = £714

Of course you can try cheating the system by taking a cheap flight to Croatia then trying to walk into the UK confidently carrying the bass as luggage (it works fine with laptops and cameras etc bought in Asia ... because everyone has a laptop and a camera) ... a bass might be suspicious as even if you did take it abroad with you, you should have had a Carnet, stamped at every stage of the journey to prove it left with you and is coming home.

PS: My wife suggests getting a really cheap bass off ebay, getting a carnet for that one then doing a swap before heading home, chances are the customs oiks won't know an Alembic from an Ibanez.  The shipper can try writing "gift of zero value" on the packaging of course ;¬)

Brexit just keeps on giving .. but more, taking away.

Edited by NickA
"idea!" then CORRECTION
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • MB1 locked this topic