Why become a member? ×

NBD - Rob Allen Deep 5

Basilpea

A Big brother for my Mb2.  

I've been hankering after one for some time now, but with Rob's policy now of only making what suits his business, as opposed to what customers dictate (which is fair enough if he is able to do it), and the rarity of secondhand ones available the likelihood of me getting one looked pretty slim - especially considering my very specific requirements (fretless, unlined,  min 17mm string spacing).  I just thought I would try my luck on the Owners' Facebook page, and lo and behold I got lucky, a great guy in Italy responded, we did a deal and I am now the proud owner of a Deep 5 to go with my Mb2 4 string.  I must admit I was slightly twitchy about sending a not insignificant sum of money to a complete stranger in a foreign country, but I trusted my luck to PayPal's compensation policy and bit the bullet.  Antonio turned out to be a really great guy and the bass was in my hot little (actually big) hands within a few days and I couldn't be more pleased.  Initially the action was too low for me - lots of lovely Mwah but not much attack and rather inclined to buzz on the low B, but a half turn on the truss rod did the trick and all is now great.

This now means there will be no real point in having any other 5 string basses, so I'll be selling a couple of very nice ones soonIMG_4094.thumb.jpeg.9868566c41c562bbefc73ffe95e9b1f5.jpegIMG_4104.thumb.jpeg.5e5e89a8edc1f89f9f72fe8383db65bd.jpeg in the form of a Shuker Artist 5 and  Rick Turner Renaissance 5.  Probably when things have normalised a bit more and hopefully the Bass community will be more comfortable spending money on bass guitars.

IMG_4102.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

IMG_4099.jpeg

IMG_4097.jpeg

IMG_4096.jpeg

IMG_4095.jpeg

Edited by Basilpea
  • Like 4

Would love a Deep 4 or 5 to go with my Mouse and MB2. Yours looks gorgeous! I’ve also considered a Shuker Artist and I also love the Rick Turner Renaissance; I’d be really interested to know your thoughts on how these three great basses compare.

10 hours ago, Storky said:

Would love a Deep 4 or 5 to go with my Mouse and MB2. Yours looks gorgeous! I’ve also considered a Shuker Artist and I also love the Rick Turner Renaissance; I’d be really interested to know your thoughts on how these three great basses compare.

Firstly IMHO they are all excellent basses.  

The Shuker is fabulous looking and does everything it should, the only reason it's not quite right for me is the string spacing (16.5mm) is not enough for my long fingers , especially as I play upright quite a bit (referring to the bass not me).  The build quality is terrific, the active tone controls have excellent range and there’s plenty of Mwah if you want it.

IMG_4083.thumb.jpeg.7a8dd6d6ca224372885df3e1f0fda2b0.jpegIMG_4075.thumb.jpeg.1140228c2143e0ee29cb813813e71e20.jpegIMG_4069.thumb.jpeg.ed2c357765260b99693eb3336dd8619b.jpeg 

The Rick Turner is amazing - incredibly lightweight, really high build quality and it is great for me with 17.5 mm string spacing.  It's totally unique in the design, it has the simplistic ethos of the Rob Allen but the acoustic strings make it feel and sound rather different.  The only bass I would ever change it for would be the Deep 5, and I'm still not sure about selling it just yet.  I've attached some pics.  I see you're quite local to me, PM if you want to give them a try.

IMG_4053.thumb.jpeg.2b6dfbec1c6c05dd2c263fdc78ebf6bc.jpegIMG_4049.thumb.jpeg.8a13dc1e4993dd5b7b2656c0b80293c7.jpeg

On 16/09/2020 at 21:05, Storky said:

Firstly IMHO they are all excellent basses.  The Shuker is fabulous looking and does everything it should, the only reason it's not quite right for me is the string spacing is not enough for my long fingers (16.5mm), especially as I play upright quite a bit.  The build quality is terrific, the active tone controls have excellent range and there’s plenty of Mwah if you want it.  The Rick Turner is amazing - incredibly lightweight, really high build quality and it is great for me with 17.5 mm string spacing.  It's totally unique in the design, it has the simplistic ethos of the Rob Allen but the acoustic strings make it feel and sound rather different.  The only bass I would ever change it for would be the Deep 5, and I'm still not sure about selling it just yet.  I've attached some pics.  I see you're quite local to me, PM if you want to give them a try.