Why become a member? ×

Dancing and playing...can you do it?

redbandit599

8 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I'm in awe of those who can both play and dance at the same time, without effing up either activity. However, to me, listening to a good bassline comes before watching stage antics. If all that was interesting in a band was the dancing, I'd walk out after a couple of numbers.

This calls to mind one of the more disappointing gigs I saw a couple (few?) years back in one of the smaller hip venues in London.  Vintage Trouble.  I really enjoyed what I had seen and heard of them on YouTube and the like and was very much looking forward to seeing them live.  The singer moved around a lot in the vids I had seen and it seemed I was due to watch a high octane kind of performance.

What I saw was a guy who clearly thought he had been handed the baton by James Brown but without the timing or charisma.  It was an out of time display of second rate gymnastics at the expense of a vocal performance where doing a hand stand (or something equally physically demanding) completely out of sync with the music seemed more important than having enough breath to actually sing.  I left early.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ahpook said:

I quite enjoyed that !

He's got far better moves than I have.

Has he converted his toilet into a music room? Either that or he has the smallest living room ever! Some dance moves right enough. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

It strikes me this subject could form a good subject for a Scott's Bass Lessons mini course. 😁 

We could have the Pino Palladino/ Joe Dart severe head nod; various choreographed ideas; Shadows walk; the Andy Fraser gentle head nod/rock to and fro etc etc 😏

Genius idea.

I also think those on this thread with a few moves could host Basschat Zoom Dancing Classes - like that Jo Wicks and Mr Motivator....

On 15/09/2020 at 02:02, chris_b said:

If the mood takes me I vigorously tap my foot. I actually did that once.

Whoa, respect.

I shy away from vigorous tapping of either foot on health and safety grounds.  I will occasionally rythmically raise and lower my big toe during particularly up-tempo passages but only with supervision and having had the appropriate training.

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

It strikes me this subject could form a good subject for a Scott's Bass Lessons mini course. 😁 

We could have the Pino Palladino/ Joe Dart severe head nod; various choreographed ideas; Shadows walk; the Andy Fraser gentle head nod/rock to and fro etc etc 😏

You can add the reggae knee bend to that list.