Why become a member? ×

Dancing and playing...can you do it?

redbandit599

My covers band are learning this little belter in the hope of ever getting out and gigging again. It's a proper 'crowd mover.'

Then I just saw this performance, and this band are 1.) Achingly cool 2.) Far better dancers than I ever was, without an instrument.

Now, I'm not a stand there motionless guy, I do move and that, but I just wondered if any of the BC massive can match this, better it or, if you have a story to tell? 😃

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 3

To start the stories, long time ago we played at our drummers wedding - he was suitably inebriated and foolishly was left in control of the smoke machine trigger. It was shall we say 'very dense' in every sense...

I can still remember the plaintive cry as our guitarist danced off the edge of the stage- of course, nobody saw it, we just heard it..

Edited by redbandit599
  • Haha 4

Yes, I can and do dance while playing. In my punk/new-wave covers band I move and dance a lot. The other guys are rooted to the spot - they are happy to let me get on with it.

For me one of the advantages of using an amp sim pedal instaed of an amp is more room to dance.

Dancing not up to stanard of Bruno Mars band though:D!

Story? Nearest I've got is: a couple of people from work came to a gig ..... one of them said that my stage performance reminded her of when her son fogets to take his hyperactivity medicine!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That's very clever choreography: bouncing up and down for the straight-1/8ths section, swinging from side to side during the syncopated section.

Also noted that the bass player in the video is using a plectrum, whereas I've always played this fingerstyle with a fair bit of attack, near the bridge.

I do love that song!

As far as dancing in general is concerned, both of my left feet are like breeze blocks. It's not an 'age' thing, I've always been more of a stumbling teeter-totterer, even on a Good Day. I'll happily watch a good ballet (Coppélia..? Swan Lake..?), but have no appreciation whatever of this most bizarre of social interactions. :$

14 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Now, I'm not a stand there motionless guy, I do move and that, but I just wondered if any of the BC massive can match this, better it or, if you have a story to tell? 😃

Very impressive moves in that video.

Which I have no chance of matching.

I might shift from foot to foot, but dance ?

No chance !

48 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d have lived to have been able to dance a bit when doing ska numbers in my old covers band but I’m afraid it’s beyond me.

Did several years in a Specials trib and 7 of us were in constant motion only 'Terry' and the drummer were stationary. 

Again you couldn't really call it dancing... 

• Like 2

I've played in bands where choreographed unison moves are required - it takes practice and even then I'd liken it to singing whilst playing a bass part - you have to at least have one as automatic - I can't focus on both at once (but that might be just me). 

That stuff at the end of the live version of Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel always amazes me where he, Tony Levin, the guitarist and sometimes the keyboard player (if using a hand held synth) walk forward with absurdly comic exaggerated steps in half time and then go backwards in 16th beats after a set number of bars and then start again - how Tony Levin does that but keep one of the best bass grooves ever going at the same time amazes me - I guess it's practice (bands I have had to do these set moves with practiced relentlessly). 

Sledgehammer with said dancing here - moves start at about 4.00 - fabulous 80s sound as well 👍

https://youtu.be/05TVDCWRBog

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

Most of my bands are fairly active, leaping around the stage, jumping off drum risers etc - no mean feat when you consider we are all late 40s / early 50s. I do a lot of cardio to make it look credible. It usually gets mentioned in reviews. 

Bringing us crashing down to earth though, I recall doing a video shoot circa 2016 with an old band and when the singer saw the rough edit he messaged the band to say it looked good but added that we'd offered "a masterclass in Dad dancing!" 

• Like 1