Why become a member? ×

Quality comparison, Harley Benton

uk_lefty

7 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

News just in... Thomann have this bass as "on request" because its a new model and they don't yet have an expected delivery date. They told me they'll update their page when they have a delivery date. 

So it's not so much "on request" as "coming soon". Lost in translation I think. 

What's this? New Harley Benton?? Why wasn't I told?

I shall prepare to become excited.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

News just in... Thomann have this bass as "on request" because its a new model and they don't yet have an expected delivery date. They told me they'll update their page when they have a delivery date. 

What is it, if you don't mind me asking? Intrigued!

Would say Sire V3 fretless worth a look, but supply still seems to be a problem on certain budget basses. 

Andertons had 5 x black V3 5 strings arrive Mon - been waiting on these for a while and got one, rest have all since gone. 8 still in white tho. Thomann look thin on all Sires, and lead times on many of the HBs. 

1 hour ago, Drax said:

Would say Sire V3 fretless worth a look, but supply still seems to be a problem on certain budget basses. 

Andertons had 5 x black V3 5 strings arrive Mon - been waiting on these for a while and got one, rest have all since gone. 8 still in white tho. Thomann look thin on all Sires, and lead times on many of the HBs. 

A few months back I asked Andertons whether they'd be getting a lefty Sire fretless in, it was listed on their website as "available at short notice" or words to that effect. I asked when and their reply may as well have been "maybe November, don't know really mate, come back later" which didn't fill me with confidence. 

On 16/09/2020 at 16:30, uk_lefty said:

When Thomann have items "on request" it usually just means the item is out of stock and not likely to be available anytime soon. It may also be a discontinued item. In my experience "on request" usually translates to "unavailable" (and I have placed over 50 orders from Thomann for my studio).

In some cases like this bass it can also mean "new item with unknown delivery date". In these cases we're usually talking about months rather than weeks.

I don't think Thomann sell any items that are actually built "on request" except for the in-house Thon branded flight cases and these actually say "manufacturing time x weeks", not "on request".

They do have some items that aren't normally in stock but can be ordered from the distributor on request. These items normally say "2-5 days" but never become "available immediately" on their website no matter how long you wait.

I've learned my lesson and NEVER order anything "on request" from Thomann. It usually means you will have to wait a VERY long time or never get the item at all.

1 hour ago, S.F.Sorrow said:

When Thomann have items "on request" it usually just means the item is out of stock and not likely to be available anytime soon. It may also be a discontinued item. In my experience "on request" usually translates to "unavailable" (and I have placed over 50 orders from Thomann for my studio).

In some cases like this bass it can also mean "new item with unknown delivery date". In these cases we're usually talking about months rather than weeks.

I don't think Thomann sell any items that are actually built "on request" except for the in-house Thon branded flight cases and these actually say "manufacturing time x weeks", not "on request".

They do have some items that aren't normally in stock but can be ordered from the distributor on request. These items normally say "2-5 days" but never become "available immediately" on their website no matter how long you wait.

I've learned my lesson and NEVER order anything "on request" from Thomann. It usually means you will have to wait a VERY long time or never get the item at all.

I emailed them directly and my post was based on their response. In this case "on request" means they don't yet have a date for it to come in to stock. 

53 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I know they ran a thing where you could vote for a model to go into production, which is how the left handed 51 P clone came into being (IIRC) but I haven't seen this happen again since.

I think that was for a new colour, which is why there's the original Sunburst, and subsequent Fiesta Red.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I think that was for a new colour, which is why there's the original Sunburst, and subsequent Fiesta Red.

Thanks for clearing that up. I must have misremembered it!!

A vote could be a good way to get new lefty models into production but by-and-large HB look after us quite well!

Edited by rasher80

3 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I emailed them directly and my post was based on their response. In this case "on request" means they don't yet have a date for it to come in to stock. 

Yes I know. I was just trying to point out that "coming soon" may turn out to be several months or even longer. At least based on my experience with "on request". Of course it might actually mean it will arrive soon in this particular case but based on my 50+ orders with Thomann "on request" has always meant several months at best and in some cases never. The fact that Thomann can't even give you a delivery date suggests to me that this bass probably won't be available for a very long time yet. Especially with covid. Lots of items seem to be unavailable from Thomann these days. I think they are struggling very badly with their supply chain. I've seen many out of stock items reach "2-5 days" and then jump directly back up to "8-10 weeks" or worse. It's not a great time to order anything out of stock.

29 minutes ago, S.F.Sorrow said:

Yes I know. I was just trying to point out that "coming soon" may turn out to be several months or even longer. At least based on my experience with "on request". Of course it might actually mean it will arrive soon in this particular case but based on my 50+ orders with Thomann "on request" has always meant several months at best and in some cases never. The fact that Thomann can't even give you a delivery date suggests to me that this bass probably won't be available for a very long time yet. Especially with covid. Lots of items seem to be unavailable from Thomann these days. I think they are struggling very badly with their supply chain. I've seen many out of stock items reach "2-5 days" and then jump directly back up to "8-10 weeks" or worse. It's not a great time to order anything out of stock.

Sorry, I see now. 

I'm not going to hold my breath for this one. I'd like it, but I don't need it. 

6 hours ago, rasher80 said:

I know they ran a thing where you could vote for a model to go into production, which is how the left handed 51 P clone came into being (IIRC) but I haven't seen this happen again since.

That came about purely by accident 🙂

A German YT fella (Corey ?) was reviewing loads of HBs and approached Thomann about a poll for colours. Poll went on a Harley Benton FB group.

It was just guitars getting votes until a lefty Canadian  (Nerkoids) suggested a lefty Surf Green PB-50, 2 changes for the price of one 😀

The pair of us posted on every bass forum we could think of asking folk to join the FB group and vote for Nerkoids 😁 Much to the disgust of guitar players wanting yet another colour of SC-450, Nerkoids suggestion came 3rd 👍 

Shame Thomann reneged on the colour and went with red.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1