Abominathan

Uk to Canada - Amp voltage??

Hey all, 

Moving to Canda in a few months and wondering what to do about my amp. I've got a Mark Bass Little Mark III and matching 1x15 cab. Would love to keep them but a few people have advised to just get rid as the voltage difference means to covert is a big heachache. Anyone with experience have any views??

Attached some photos below of specs. Don't know why they're blurry - too much coffee maybe.

Ta! 

IMG_20200914_134928.jpg

IMG_20200914_134948.jpg

Edited by Abominathan
clarity

Looks to me that your amp is UK 240-volt only so could only be used in Canada with a step-up transformer however these can be quite heavy.  Probably best to sell and either buy a new one over there or one in the UK with a universal power supply.

Edited by obbm
  • Confused 1

Apparently, Canada is 120v (sometimes marked as 110v; it matters not...). No, that amp won't work there, unless you invest in a 'step-up' transformer. That would need to be able to handle the power draw (over 500w, to have some margin...), so would be rather cumbersome. I'd suggest selling the amp and buying another once settled over there. Hope this helps. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Apparently, Canada is 120v (sometimes marked as 110v; it matters not...). No, that amp won't work there, unless you invest in a 'step-up' transformer. That would need to be able to handle the power draw (over 500w, to have some margin...), so would be rather cumbersome. I'd suggest selling the amp and buying another once settled over there. Hope this helps. :friends:

Very helpful both! Thank you!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Yup, Canada is definitely 120V.

Markbass state that the power module is set for the country of sale and can't be changed. Some amps can adjust themselves or be switched, but not MB.

As the guys have said, a step-up transformer will work, but it's not exactly convenient. Selling to buy a Canadian model would be the happiest solution for me.

• Like 2

Looks like this one may end up on the classifieds as soon as I can get round to it then. Shame, love this amp set up. Also, I am sure this cab adn amp combo saved my back from caving in during my gigging days (and I was like off the stage 15 minutes before anyne else!).

The cab will be fine, and I'm sure that there are Markbass amps made for Canada. You can still have the same setup, and as you'd be shipping your current amp plus buying a transformer if you were to keep it, you could well be better off by selling the one you have now and putting that money back into a Canadian one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wavemaker
      After enjoying this one for close to five years, I'm selling one of Sheldon Dingwall's best-kept secrets - namely that his four-strings are outstanding in at least the same way as the more widely known fivers: The slightly more relaxed scale length than on the five strings (34-36.25" instead of 34-37") and a - to me: still - astonishing featherweight of 3.43 kg (7 lbs 9 oz) were urgent arguments for me - besides the sound, general quality and playability - to import the bass from the UK.

Key data: 
      Alder body with maple top, wenge fingerboard with compound radius (7.5-16"), Hipshot custom hardware, Neutrik jack, magnetic battery compartment, Dunlop straplocks.

Besides the incredibly three-dimensional flamed / curly maple top, the bass has a few special features which set it apart even inside the elusive realm of Canadian Dingwalls:
      - a walnut neck with carbon reinforcements, which was usually exclusively available on the semi-hollow Afterburner II models. Currently, Dingwall has dropped the walnut neck option altogether. (To me personally, walnut feels even better - smoother, silkier - than the more widely known and much praised wenge necks that Dingwall prominently use on custom orders... I simply play my D-Bird more than the AB, so someone else may enjoy this).
      - green luminlays in the fingerboard and its edge
      - Hipshot D-Tuner
      - Glockenklang 3-band electronic that can be deactivated via volume pull: In passive mode, the treble pot can still be used to cut treble.

I have learned to appreciate these special features very much, on stage as in rehearsals - no wonder, as the bass was built at the request of someone with a lot of experience. You can also see the bass in this video of his:

The bass was completed in Canada on 20/08/2012.
      Since then it has picked up some minor visual  blemishes, which I have tried to show as best as possible in the photos - see red marks in the photos. These are dings (dents in the clear coat) only, there is no wood damage.
      There are a few fine scratches on the black bridge which I have marked as well. Also the tuner shafts are no longer one hundred percent opaque black due to contact with string windings.
      Neck/frets/trussrod are in perfect condition, though I like to inform people new to Dingwall beforehand what this means regarding frets: Please see this thread on talkbass (reply #30070 and following) for reference.

More photos or video chat (Facetime/whatsapp) on request.

The colour is called "Honey Amber" and shifts somewhere between a Bengal Tiger and a Tequila Sunrise depending on (stage) light. More than once after a gig I was asked what colour my bass actually was. It‘s also breathtakingly beautiful in daylight!

Comes with "birth certificate", tools and the fantastic Dingwall/Levy's gig bag, which I dread to let go almost as much as the bass itself.

Currently fitted with the four higher strings of a fresh Dingwall Nickelplated-Steel-5 set and tuned to EADG. The associated B-string comes with the bass, too, so you can opt for either regular or BEAD tuning: The nut will take both sets of strings as its slots have only been widenend, not deepened. 

Sound files in EADG available via wetransfer (i.e. your personal e-mail is required for download).

Available to check out in Cologne, Germany (following covid guidelines/precautions: FFP2 + personal distance + clean hands + current test) on Helix LT / Beyerdynamic DT-770 possible at any time. Test at band volume / in rehearsal space possible on request.

I am generally open to near offers / price suggestions. For orientation, please note: New price would currently be in the neighbourhood of £4,300 - and have a waiting period of 18-24 months. I can provide the current Dingwall price list.

Former ads by Neil and Ashborygirl for reference.
      Please be aware that I’m considering the price I paid an utter bargain then and do so even more today: As prices for Canadian models and Combustions have risen substantially in the past years, I cannot in good conscience let this bass go for the same now. (See recent sale of an ABZ 4 on talkbass for reference.)
      Also, this is not a fire sale. 

Payment preferably by bank transfer, alternatively Paypal (exclusively using the "Friends & Family" option to protect myself as the seller). I’m very open to and encouraging everyone to take further measures to build up confidence in preparation of an international sale (video chat, exchange of IDs, etc.).

Shipping worldwide in double box and lots of padding possible, but has to be arranged by buyer. Instead of the gig bag we could also organise the purchase of a case as the bass fits into any Fender-style case. 
      Collection preferred to shipping, shipping inside EU preferred to outside EU.

Private sale, no warranty/return/invoice available.

No trade offers, please.

• By pilotbicycles
      For sale are a selection of effects pedals.
      All in good working condition, though some baring the signs of use, and some with Velcro attached.
      No original box unless noted. 
      Can arrange collection in/around Belfast. Postage will be an additional £10
      Elektron Analog Drive £160
      Highly underrated box capable of delivering all manner of drive tones, and even clean boost. The Harmonic Fuzz circuit inside isn't particularly pleasing. Has the possibility to be run in preset mode or "WYSIWYG" for more classic pedal functionality. The three band EQ with sweepable Mid Band allows for all sorts of tone shaping, and having access to presets on the fly can make this a one stop shop for all your dirt and EQ needs. Has a chip in the paintwork, shown in the pictures below. Comes with original box and Power Supply Unit.
      Empress Compressor £160
      An absolutely wonderfully compressor, offering studio-grade functionality. Clean/Transparent best capture it's tonal presentation. Whilst it's wide range of controls and comprehensive metering allow for precise setting of all aspects of the compression. I have used the sidechain functionality extensively for live sidechain/pumping effects, feeding it a signal from the Kick drum, which was massively rewarding.
      ON HOLD - Darkglass Vintage Microtubes £120 - SOLD
      Not sure what there is to say about this. A now iconic drive pedal - there is magic in the ERA control which is sadly missing on all other iterations of the Vintage Microtubes (which is a shame as I feel EQ doesn't capture all that this control does). I have often used this as an always-preamp, and even run two on the same board for a wide range of tones. Unsurprisingly I have ended up with more of these than needed, and so I am letting this one go.
      Malekko Diabolik £130  SOLD
      Incredible sounding Maestro Brassmaster derived (by way of Malekko's own B:Assmaster) fuzz pedal. Condensed to it's simplest and most necessary form. Independent clean and fuzz level controls allow for a wide range of sounds, with subtle blends given almost overdrive-like tones. Don't worry though, this pedal is practically begging to be opened up and let out to room the fields of fuzz glory. Delivering a wall of squelchy, squishy, octave-harmonic laden fuzz. A perfect foundation for synth tones, or more than enough to make ears bleeds, and level buildings.
      Mark Bass Compressore £100
      Another wonderful sounding compressor. Warm and rich on the tonal front, with enough control to cover most compression-based needs. It pretty much never sounds bad and offers studio level compression, fully utilising the Tube/Valve unlike some other designs. Comes with original box and it's own 12v Power Supply Unit.

• By Alex Tootstick
      2 great bits of kit that work excellently together but are much more than I need for bedroom noodling which is the only playing I do nowadays. 
      Both items purchased on here and have barely left the house since and have  never been gigged (sadly). 
      Happy to split for separate sale or would preferablely sell together. Will ship at the cost of the buyer. 
      Cab - £150
      Amp - £100 
      The amp is in used condition and by that I mean there is a scratch or two on the surface of the top side but in perfect working order. The cab is 'near' perfect as I can't see a mark on it! It has lived in its cover at all times when not being used. I'll throw in a speakon cable if bought together. 

• By Abominathan
      Moving to Canada so this needs to be sold ASAP - needs to be gone before 23/11/2020. Great condition. Fantastic amp, absolutely would not be selling unless I had to. Priced at £SOLD for quick sale. Prefer London Collection (based in Forest Hill SE23). No trades. 
      Happy to deliver within reason. Also, I do have a self-made little carry case. Not in photos, but can be used to transport. 
      Here's a link to specs: http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/little-mark-iii/
      Thanks all!

• By Dreamcaster
      Hello everyone.
      I have accidentally deleted one of the factory presets.
      It is the one called 'Tube Rock Band'.
      I was not able to find the file online and since I am afraid to mess up things in my PC if I tried to reinstall it I would much appreciate if someone exported this specific preset as an .ovp file and post it on the forum.
      Cheers!
      ---
      edit: I have found the factory presets file. Uploaded for future reference.

factory-presets.db