Why become a member? ×

Wireless set up

Useless amateur

Re:phaser pedal -

I was just going to say, case in point about how people don't understand latency or understand where it comes from. Every component has latency, most of the time it is trace.

Yes, there's even latency in analogue radio systems - but the latency is generally measured in nano seconds. So in comparison, an analogue wireless system has an end to end latency of circa 0.1ms. A world apart from digital systems where A/D D/A conversions are in place. (Of course the conversion problem is compounded when it's happening for every unit in the change).

19 minutes ago, Matt P said:

Line6 quote less than 2.9ms latency which is fairly impressive, whether that is real or not i don't know but i've never noticed any issues.

Matt

Circa <3ms is pretty much the go to  figures for digital wireless now... a lot of the higher end system are also including encryption in for good measure! The newest generation Line 6 are now at 1.5ms. Lectrosonics slightly under at 1.4 and I think Shure Axient is still the champ at sub 1ms.

You won't notice any issues around there, you are comfortably under the 7ms threshold (or 10ms if you are less perceptive). Start sticking a few tardy digital pedals in your chain and you may start to feel the delay!

24 minutes ago, la bam said:

The line 6 G75 is astonishing value at £160.

Never let me down. Never a drop out. Ever.

Nice and compact. Easy to use.

I've just got a G90 (rrp around £450) and I'm not convinced it's as good.

The G90 is pretty old system now - must be over 10 years old now. I think it remains a staple in the line up as it has a pleasing 1u, full width receiver format. Having said that, I think it is still sub 4ms - which shows how good Line 6 were even back then.

2 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Xvive XU2 for me..... I've been using a couple of years with no issues.

They are reasonable price (about £100), plug straight into the Guitar and amp/pedal (no need for a belt-pack or whatever) and both transmitter and receiver are re-chargable, so no batteries and no need to run a mains lead.

I don't know what the latency is, but I don't notice it.

6ms latency.

• Thanks 1

Ok some details. It’s just for use at home, I am NEVER going to gig with it. Budget is whatever I need to spend but cheaper the better. The more expensive it is the longer I save for it so I am happy to spend what it costs. I use effects very rarely, not often enough to make it worth considering. 
Thanks everyone for the help

Jon

20 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Same! Used it on every type of gig and stage huge and small and never had an issue! Joined a conga at a wedding once and was two rooms away, I couldn’t hear the PA, but was told there wasn’t any drop outs 😂

It doesn’t shred through batteries either!

Brilliant units.

Just such a shame that you cant rackmount them, as the receiver is on the top of the box. That's the only reason I bought the G90.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Useless amateur said:

Never. Also I don’t care if it’s second hand or new. Prefer second hand really as you get better value that way

Jon

Shoot me a PM with your address.

I've a Thomann t-bone TWS in the drawer doing nothing. At the very least it'll give you a feel for giving wireless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Shoot me a PM with your address.

I've a Thomann t-bone TWS in the drawer doing nothing. At the very least it'll give you a feel for giving wireless.

Was going to say Thomann do a variety of Tbones at different prices  from £43 and there's a 3 year warranty too.

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 2

For confirmation for anybody reading with interest - the TWS is analogue - so negligable latency as no A/D and D/A conversion. What you have got however, is a compounder - so depending upon how good the compander is, you'll notice a change in the bottom end and top end response. (That's where digital wins - no compander... however, at the cost of latency - don't get nothing for free in this game!) 

• Like 1

On 14/09/2020 at 16:28, la bam said:

The line 6 G75 is astonishing value at £160.

Never let me down. Never a drop out. Ever.

Nice and compact. Easy to use.

Same here. Had a moment of interference from another wireless transmitter, which was so easy to fix, otherwise it is perfect. 

Worth noting too it uses AA batteries. So should you forget to charge it you don't need to plug the unit in to recharge. Just keep a couple of spares in your gig bag. Not that it is likely to run flat, it switches itself off if you leave it alone for any length of time. 

I like the on board tuner, the ability to scan the venue for the least busy frequency, the ability to save different 'scenes' for different instruments and the robustness of the unit. I dropped mine from a reasonable height without any damage. Also should you somehow break the jack, its just a normal 1/4 plug so can be repaired/replaced. 

It has multiple outputs including xlr, and you can even choose the colour of the light around the jack socket. 

Fair to say I recommend it. 

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Ahh, apparently the roof of the rack can block the receiver - bit if it's working fine I'd leave it!

Probably line6 just covering their back in case of drop outs.

No, I loaded (bodged) it into my rack at the start of the lockdown, I've always just plugged into it rather than get the wireless pack out and find the strap with the pouch on it. Quicker to plug in with a cable. 

Never gigged with it in there. I bet I know what would happen if I did. 

I've used Line6 for years now.  I have a rack mounted G55, and have just picked up a used G50 for £80.

IMHO you can't beat Line 6 (unless you go Sennheiser maybe)...  that said, the guitarist in my band uses an Xvive, and I've never noticed him drop out...  well priced and rechargeable.

I picked one of these cheapy Ammoon things up. I use it at every rehearsal and I've even gigged with it a few times. Nobody has once said "I say old chap, are there some latency issues with your tiny wireless dooflip?". Yes there is a slightly noticeable delay, but it makes no difference to what I play or how I play it. Unless you're incredibly precious about your sound, I'd recommend it heartily, especially if you're only playing at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

That's my point, I already HAVE noticed it. I know it's there, but it's so slight it doesn't affect my timing or feeling or anything else ending in ing. For 20 quid I'll happily live with it.

Spending! (Or saving depending which angle you come from)

Edited by EBS_freak