Why become a member? ×

Wireless set up

Useless amateur

Hi all. I am on the scrounge for recommendations please. I am looking to get a wireless set up as I am physically a wreck and fall over often enough without cables to help me. As I can’t work money is tight so please bear that in mind although I understand it is better to buy something that will last and save for it. 

Appreciate how kind and helpful people have been on here in the short time I have been a member

Jon

i started with a Line6 G30 then upgraded to a G50 after a couple of years, both are fairly common on the secondhand market, i bought both of mine through the marketplace here and i think the total cost of both combined was less than the new price of a G50.

one of my friends started with one of the cheap 2.4GHz ones from amazon and gave up on it in about an hour as it wasn't connecting reliably, he went to a smoothhound one and is very happy with it, i borrowed the smoothhound and didn't get on with it (in the gap between the G30 and the G50)

G30's have been sold on here for as little as 75 quid (about 145 new)

Matt

• Like 1

I know nothing about such things but bought a unit last year which packed up within a year! I was looking to source a cheap replacement and found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5B64RG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_.H1xFbQS17RT8 My guitarist who is a professional sound engineer (and locally highly regarded) liked it so much he bought one too. I've since had others message me and buy one so I assume it must be reasonable. Not the sturdiest looking thing but if you look after kit, it shouldn't be a problem.

1 minute ago, Cat Burrito said:

I know nothing about such things but bought a unit last year which packed up within a year! I was looking to source a cheap replacement and found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L5B64RG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_.H1xFbQS17RT8 My guitarist who is a professional sound engineer (and locally highly regarded) liked it so much he bought one too. I've since had others message me and buy one so I assume it must be reasonable. Not the sturdiest looking thing but if you look after kit, it shouldn't be a problem.

Latency: < 12ms

I'm out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Hearing of a bat, timing of a broken clock.

He's actually a really well respected player but each to their own. If it doesn't meet the criteria for you, fine. I was just replying to the original post to say we thought it exceeded all expectations. I'm sure other opinions on other products will come along.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

He's actually a really well respected player but each to their own. If it doesn't meet the criteria for you, fine. I was just replying to the original post to say we thought it exceeded all expectations. I'm sure other opinions on other products will come along.

I'm not meaning to be rude - it's just that this is a big bug for me as there's a lot of people buying stuff that they don't understand.

Also, with regard to your friend - I didn't mention anything about his ability of a player, whether he's respected or not but 35 years of studio experience brings nothing to the table in this conversation I'm afraid - especially if he doesn't understand the impact of that 12ms latency figure.

Latency is a big, often misunderstood detail, surrounding wireless. It can actually influence your playing - and can ultimately mess up your internal metronome. Depending upon the rest of your setup, it can have even wider reaching consequences. Cumulative latency through digital pedals in your chain, digital desks... they all start adding up ms. Given that most players perceive latency at 10ms (and some as low as 5-7ms), you can see why I raise it as a concern. If people continue to buy these products, it'll never drive improvement on these figures. Additionally, it can lead to comments such as, "I've tried digital wireless, its rubbish". What that really translates to, is that they've tried rubbish digital wireless.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I'm not meaning to be rude - it's just that this is a big bug for me as there's a lot of people buying stuff that they don't understand.

Also, with regard to your friend - I didn't mention anything about his ability of a player, whether he's respected or not but 35 years of studio experience brings nothing to the table in this conversation I'm afraid - especially if he doesn't understand the impact of that 12ms latency figure.

Latency is a big, often misunderstood detail, surrounding wireless. It can actually influence your playing - and can ultimately mess up your internal metronome. Depending upon the rest of your setup, it can have even wider reaching consequences. Cumulative latency through digital pedals in your chain, digital desks... they all start adding up ms. Given that most players perceive latency at 10ms (and some as low as 5-7ms), you can see why I raise it as a concern. If people continue to buy these products, it'll never drive improvement on these figures. 

There's not much in any audio chain that introduces no latency (including that built-in to the player, between their ears and their fingers...). It's then just a matter of how, if at all, it affects (or not...) one's playing. A lot of folks use this stuff with no perceived issues. How much latency, for instance, in a vintage 'bucket brigade' phase pedal..? Did Jaco have these worries..? Is there a system with zero latency..? There is a line between what's 'perfect' and what's acceptable. Where that line is drawn will differ from person to person, and between various uses. We use a Smooth Hound; our playing doesn't suffer, to our ears. I'm the drummer; sometimes it's just my getting tired that causes issues..! :$ (OK, so I'm old; that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it..! :P )

Edited by Dad3353

Maybe we need some basics.

Are you hoping to gig with this wireless set-up?

Are there pedals involved or are you straight into the amp?

Are you ok with one of those units that plugs into the guitar jack socket (personally I hate the idea of something jutting out of the guitar)?

Is it just for pleasure or will you be recording as well (not that there's a difference I know)?

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

How much latency, for instance, in a vintage 'bucket brigade' phase pedal..?

Actually none, since the the phasing effect is achieved my mixing the modulated signal with the original and since there is no A/D/A conversion of the original signal there is no latency introduced.

As others have said the system that will suit the OP will depend very much on what other equipment is in the signal path and what sort of usage they expect from a wireless system.

11 minutes ago, la bam said:

The line 6 G75 is astonishing value at £160.

Never let me down. Never a drop out. Ever.

Nice and compact. Easy to use.

I've just got a G90 (rrp around £450) and I'm not convinced it's as good.

Same! Used it on every type of gig and stage huge and small and never had an issue! Joined a conga at a wedding once and was two rooms away, I couldn’t hear the PA, but was told there wasn’t any drop outs 😂

It doesn’t shred through batteries either!

Xvive XU2 for me..... I've been using a couple of years with no issues.

They are reasonable price (about £100), plug straight into the Guitar and amp/pedal (no need for a belt-pack or whatever) and both transmitter and receiver are re-chargable, so no batteries and no need to run a mains lead.

I don't know what the latency is, but I don't notice it.