Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe v Musicman Sub

Flea1964

Hi

Looking at either a classic vibe jazz / precision or musicman sub to play around the house.

Will be playing along through multi effects, mainly rock.

Both have good reviews and are around the same price point

Appreciate any input re build quality, playability and sound

Main bass is Warwick Thumb bo 4

Are you talking about older Ernie Ball Musicman American Sub?

If not and it is Sterling by Musicman Sub [Indonesian]  now called Stingray4;

They are good sounding and built well for their Price. I prefer over Squires but the multitude of 'Squire Boys' may respectfully disagree😀

Might also want to checkout SBMM Stingray24CA 

• Like 1

I'm assuming you mean the Sterling by Musicman SUB range, rather than the US made SUB.

I have one of the current generation SBMM Rays, the Indonesian ones with the updated logo.  It has several minor QC issues and one potentially serious issue with the range of truss rod adjustment that turned out to be ok as the neck settled in the right direction.  I bought it new, sight unseen, during lockdown, and it was only laziness, lockdown and the fact that I'd managed to get a decent discount that stopped me sending it back.  If I'd tested it in a shop there's no way I would have bought it.  I'm pretty happy with how it sounds though.

Just my experience.  If I bought another I'd probably seek out one of the Chinese made ones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, linear said:

I have one of the current generation SBMM Rays, the Indonesian ones with the updated logo.  It has several minor QC issues and one potentially serious issue

That's a pity. I'm hellbent on getting my first stingray but can't afford a proper one. I read the preamp issues of the previous models had been sorted so I assumed that the new range would be an improvement 

I also own one of the original Indonesian made run, the ones with the preamp problem and I can confirm that it has indeed been fixed in the more recent ones.

I suspect I got pretty unlucky with mine.  A number of the issues point to a rushed manufacturing process, but I imagine it's unusual to have so many present all on a single bass.  If you can try before you buy or are happy returning a bass bought over the internet then it's not so much of an issue.  If you want a ~£300 Stingray that is active and actually looks like a Stingray then your options new are relatively limited.  If you want one with a jazz width neck, I think the SUB may be the only option.

To my mind, the best bet for a my first Stingray is to wait for one of the USA made SUBs to turn up in the for sale section here. 

15 hours ago, linear said:

To my mind, the best bet for a my first Stingray is to wait for one of the USA made SUBs to turn up in the for sale section here. 

+1 Musicman USA SUBS are excellent basses and incredible value. I picked one up last year and use it all the time. A Stingray in all but name, solid as a rock, plays and sounds great. You need to keep a lookout for them but they do crop up every so often on BC and pretty regularly if you scan ebay and gumtree etc. Well worth waiting for one of these if you want a quality bass on a budget.

8 minutes ago, ikay said:

+1 Musicman USA SUBS are excellent basses and incredible value. I picked one up last year and use it all the time. A Stingray in all but name, solid as a rock, plays and sounds great. You need to keep a lookout for them but they do crop up every so often on BC and pretty regularly if you scan ebay and gumtree etc. Well worth waiting for one of these if you want a quality bass on a budget.

That's a properly good bass that one 👍

On my list of basses I should have kept...

On 13/09/2020 at 21:41, linear said:

I also own one of the original Indonesian made run, the ones with the preamp problem and I can confirm that it has indeed been fixed in the more recent ones

My son bought an Indonesian SUB about 18 months (one of these) - great jazz satin neck, plays and sounds great. I'm taking it to a bass luthier soon to get it set up for live work, whenever that'll be.

Interested though, what was the preamp problem with the earlier ones? How d'ya know if you've got the problem?

Edited by petebassist

7 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

As nice all round as the Sub but rather less pennies required...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_mm_84a_sb_deluxe_series.htm

Only people not happy are the brand snobs.

IMHO Harley Benton is just as much a Brand as SBMM maybe even more so 'Branded'; they also make Amps now.

We all love our brands in everything[Frozen Pizza, Toilet paper, Cigarettes, Basses, Amps etc.] sometimes for good reason; oh who am I kidding we are just a bunch of Snob's, cheapest/store brands are always the best😀 

16 hours ago, petebassist said:

Interested though, what was the preamp problem with the earlier ones? How d'ya know if you've got the problem?

i think the preamp was a little hard to tame, what's informally known as being "hot", although this might be subjective. The ones with the large "SUB" logo are the ones in question.

The newer models with the Sterling and Stingray decals have an 'improved" preamp

• Like 1