Why become a member? ×

EMG Solderless... soldering

spacecowboy

Hi guys, 

I'm currently making my own bass and I'm up to the electronics... I need just a little advice hopefully from some pro's who know exactly what they're looking at...

IMG_20200913_1FFF6_1.thumb.jpg.4fb4c7d3545eaa6304cc7d18f3911eaf.jpg

First question is, my EMG Jazz Pickups are Active... but am I right in thinking that this loom here is a passive circuit?

IMG_20200913_125744.thumb.jpg.1c1f44cb0b15b8a7141e487141aec6f0.jpg

This is the stock output jack in the kit...

IMG_20200913_125716_1.thumb.jpg.e47b7e7013359c1f99d1790aa91a64ee.jpg

But I want to use this Barrel jack, which I believe has Mono and Stereo wiring options...

IMG_20200913_125930.thumb.jpg.0086c2d91626e482e26a247f4237c2d7.jpg

The sleeves from the solderless kit do fit on to the pins, however is this enough of a connection? The EMG instructions advise to solder these connectors to the pins on the barrel jack... now do I remove the sleeves and trim back to the wire to solder to the pins or solder the sleeves to the pins? 

Next query is... which wire goes where? 

IMG_20200913_1FFF6_1.thumb.jpg.4fb4c7d3545eaa6304cc7d18f3911eaf.jpg

IMG_20200913_125716_1.thumb.jpg.e47b7e7013359c1f99d1790aa91a64ee.jpg

Could someone guide me in a B to A, B to C style guide? I don't have any drawings or info for the jack, but can clearly see the pins are different.

Thank you all in advance. 

B

Yes, you have missed a on that socket, just under what you have labelled as A, there is a real a. If I was to guess I would say the one you labelled as a is just the body for earthing, the one under it was the tip, c was the sleeve and b was the tip, but that would be a guess and I would never take a guess at that before wiring, I would read its documentation or buzz it out with a meter.

and yes, doesn't look like there is a preamp but again, EMGs documentation is very detailed so look there

7 hours ago, TwoTimesBass said:

That was what was doing my head in when I first looked at the loom, when you see a battery in a circuit you expect to see a preamp board 😀

The pre-amp is actually inside the pickup housing. There's nothing actually "active" about the pickup mechanism itself, that is a traditional wire around a magnet.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

The pre-amp is actually inside the pickup housing. There's nothing actually "active" about the pickup mechanism itself, that is a traditional wire around a magnet.

Indeed, but that is just terms. You can't use the pickups without power, so the pickup assembly is active. The board in the picture is just a set of plugs to get power to the required pickups and the output to the plug, so the loom itself is passive.

Advantage of that is you can use very small windings or small magnets which would normally produce too low an output as it is being buffered at source. 

• Like 1