Why become a member? ×

Abominathan

Hi hive mind. Got these two effector 13 pedals that I am probably gonna sell but wanted to pot on here to see if people know much more about them! So hard to dig up info. They are both batshit crazy!

Pics below of the Improbability drive (the most unpredicatble dist/OD pedal ever, some amazing tones and sometimes just silence 🤣). And the Truly Beautiful Disaster. (an amazing loop/oscilator pedal with a light sensitive eye.controller). 

Super keen to know whether you guys know more about origin etc!

IMG_20200912_195232.jpg

IMG_20200912_195246.jpg

50 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

Not a scholar by any means but I believe effector 13 were a company that collaborated / licenced some of Devi's designs? So, better build quality but same, shall we say esoteric circuitry?

If you really want a deep dive, ilovefuzz.com was originally started by Devi and would probably be the best source of information.

Cheers Dapper Bandit. I'll have a read. They are pretty esoteric!

Effector 13 was the original name Devi used back in the early/mid 2000's. I think there was a brief period of crossover and maybe she kept the effector 13 name in Japan (where pedals are known as effectors) but she settled on the Devi Ever name in the late 2000's. 

Things get very complicated from there as she hit some financial trouble (that's a whoooooole other story) and licensed a lot of her more popular names and designs out to other companies - Dwarfcraft, INFANEM (who did a version of the improbability drive) and a couple of others I think. I didn't fully keep up with the rest but at some point she tried to get her names and designs back and had a public spat with Dwarfcraft, and got some but not all back. She started selling her own pedals again under the Fuzz Goddess name, but many without their original names.

She can be a divisive figure in the pedal world - there's still a lot of animosity around the aformentioned financial trouble (it's a very long story but basically she took a lot of money for a kickstarter and didn't deliver) and if you asked this question over on talkbass you may get a very different explanation. Perosnally I think her designs were unique and sounded horrible in that very special way - others think she was an untrained hack who made abominations.

• Like 3

I had a Vintage Fuzz Master on guitar, with single notes and power chords it sounded amazing. Absolute filth, but tight at the same time. My issue was that I use a lot of harmonically weird chords and it was not a subtle pedal, so 95% of my playing came out a bit mushy and so I sold it on pretty quickly. Seeing as all their pedals have a rep for filth, I never tried another on guitar, and the fact I'm not a user of fuzz on bass meant it was my first and last pedal of Devi's. I had a chat with either them or someone who was dealing with orders at the time I bought the VFM, and we had a very pleasant back-and-forth via email so I've got nothing bad to say about them there. I can't remember taking the back off it and checking out the quality of the internals, so can't comment on that side of things. I can say it worked great for the short time I had it. I also never had any dealings with them beyond "customer buying a pedal", which I received without issue, so again I can't comment on the business side of things.

If you want a very "out there" approach to dirt, I'd say the pedals all look worth checking out.

On 13/09/2020 at 20:37, bobbass4k said:

Perosnally I think her designs were unique and sounded horrible in that very special way - others think she was an untrained hack who made abominations.

Having come across some of her posts and circuits on  the stompbox forums, she certainly came across as the untrained hack. From seeing some of her circuits, she was just "bolting" together various blocks she had found elsewhere without understanding basics like what input and output caps are for, resulting in having two series caps in the middle of one of her "designs". Also seemed quite clueless on component values. However that lack of knowledge is probably what gave the special horribleness to her pedals that people like.

2 hours ago, BassThing said:

Having come across some of her posts and circuits on  the stompbox forums, she certainly came across as the untrained hack. From seeing some of her circuits, she was just "bolting" together various blocks she had found elsewhere without understanding basics like what input and output caps are for, resulting in having two series caps in the middle of one of her "designs". Also seemed quite clueless on component values. However that lack of knowledge is probably what gave the special horribleness to her pedals that people like.

I don't think a disregard for the rules and conventions neccesarily implies a lack of skill or knowledge, and to assume that the unique appeal of her appeals was essentially accidental seems a little unfair. After all, you can't break the rules if you don't know what they are...

I know that was just a specific example but I've seen other designs with series/parallel caps, and there can be valid reasons for it. At the time she was around, the majority of boutique builders were regurgitating the same designs with token tweaks or gimmicky features, I don't really see how there's anymore skill or experience in changing a few caps in a big muff and calling it something else...  For better or worse, her pedals stood out a mile at the time.

I've got her Fuzz Goddess Plume pedal, which I picked up when she was selling via ebay a few years ago. It's a lo-fi, heavily gated fuzz that is kind of based on a Big Muff. It's not a classic fuzz, but it is certainly unique and can get some good sounds if you play around with it.

Her Devi Ever FX Hyperion and Soda Meiser were pretty cool if I remember correctly.