Why become a member? ×

NBD Chapman MLB1DH

gafbass02

It’s not an NBD as such, I’ve had it a few weeks, but was waiting to post until I was sure it would stay a while. I’ve owned over 200 basses and have had a bit of a revolving door over the years, I’m super picky, so good stuff can leave as quick as it came over the tiniest thing! But, although not perfect, I think this will stay a while.
I couldn’t afford to buy it, I’ve had to borrow money from my uni fund for next year, but I was finding my regular jazz bass a bit of a handful with the post-covid viral fatigue, and this just looked so pretty! Hopefully I’ll sell enough stuff to replace the cash by next year, else this will have to go. 
I hesitated at first, because of the online furore surrounding Rob Chapman, but then I remembered the drama with other bass manufacturers and indeed I once had a very real online spat with Sterling Ball, so I decided to ignore all that and let the bass convince me on merit. 
Which it has. It does need a touch of fret work though. The nut is cut too high and there’s a rattly fret, but only on the G string and only when played over the neck pickup, which is odd. So I’ll get those things sorted. 
It’s built and feels and plays and sounds like a Warwick streamer. I’ve owned several LX and stage 1 models and this really may as well be one! The closeness of the bridge pickup to the bridge gives it that bright, mid focused sound and, as a jazz bass player who tends to mostly anchor over the bridge pickup, it means that I have to move my right hand more, and adopt a more floating technique. It’s an absolute slap machine, it doesn’t really do old school thump, but really does sound great. Although, I think they should have left the preamp in. This one is passive, and although it appealed at first, on reflection, I think a preamp would have suited it better. I may add an EMG BTC when I can afford it. 
I’m very much smitten. I’ve never owned a bass this easy to play before, I feel like I’ve just jumped forward in technique which is nice. Although I a bit paranoid about damaging the lovely finish I’m playing it so much! 
Please may I ask that if you wish to comment, that we leave whatever opinions you may have about Rob Chapman to one side in my thread, I really don’t have any at all and don’t wish to start any debate in here, I’m just pleased with my new bass. Thanks. 

oh  and the side dots glow in the dark. Sweeeet!

FAD7D65F-6AED-4C44-AC6F-7CB1DBBDAD53.jpeg

6B149FF2-6FA5-41FF-A848-74D38BD09A20.jpeg

1110A6DE-3E57-455E-8625-5EA398E9998F.jpeg

6D0C3395-7BCF-48AF-9B43-63927697F4BD.jpeg

606CA2E7-00C3-4B13-A403-828F7DE30DDF.jpeg

508534AE-7233-4A16-9315-62DAB6316C41.jpeg

4E855285-7B55-4CA9-A561-926451603748.jpeg

ECB6619B-4818-4F7E-A09A-5354AE29FAFA.jpeg

AB7F6389-2CBE-4ADC-9241-6104BEF62E3F.jpeg

372F984E-4DED-45F0-A660-7E4C90DC1B2C.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 6

I don't know anything about Rob Chapman....

But that bass is BLOODY LOVELY!!!! (I can see the Warwick thing but there's a bit of Zon in there too in my eyes)

Can i ask how much it was? i think you've just ruined my GAS list.....

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moos3h said:

Was that the one that was on eBay? Had it in my watch list so you did me a favour!

I think it looks great, but given the whole style the lack onboard preamp was the thing that stopped me hitting the button.

Good score!

It was. I’m generally more interested in passive basses, but on this occasion I think a simple circuit would be a boon. No big though. 

Lovely bass, 26 frets as well I see. I really like the look of the non-gloss open grain-style finish on the back of the neck. Very Warwick like all round. Very nice. 

Monorail bridges are very cool too, though I find them to be a pain when it comes to trying to dust the spaces inbetween the individual bridges. 

Congratulations!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

I did ask not to bring that into this thread. I really don’t care, didn’t care about the others, Hall, Smith, Ball Etc and don’t care about Chapman either. I take the instrument for what it is. Pretty and nice to play. 

Separate the art from the artist.

Lovely looking bass.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cetera said:

Saw one of these in Andertons and thought it looked gorgeous - that finish is a thing of beauty. Congrats!

I'd definitely dump the Barts and gets some EMGs and a preamp in there if it was me though... ;)

The finish reminds me of being at the beach 😂 I do quite fancy something really meaty in the pickups at some point. I kept looking at the Morch ones on here. Sadly on my wage it’ll be a long long wait! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 18:30, EddHytheTown said:

Beautiful.

All the stuff about Chapman the bloke had totally passed me by, but I had seen a similar model in a natural finish online a while back and was intrigued as I'd never heard of the brand until then. The finish on yours is nicer!

That’s good to hear! Here’s a few better pictures 

9E2D9369-56D1-4936-90CA-8169C6766891.jpeg

23340A04-4655-4DD3-86DB-D9B4971A33C9.jpeg

985AA12D-F104-4817-9AD2-2969A5CF943A.jpeg

E9837313-DA85-45B9-8ED7-46F54C8DBFC5.jpeg

• Like 1