Why become a member? ×

Do all class D heads really lose their thud at volume?

alexa3020

On 15/09/2020 at 08:59, Muzz said:

I'd say the amp is only half the story in a rig providing what we're looking for (and that can be many different things), some amps work better with some cabs, and vice versa. I've had a lot of amps and cabs (probably 20 amps, and maybe a dozen cabs), and settled on what I like. I loved the Magellan through three Berg 112s, but they totalled 96lbs, which wasn't practical for me, and I've ended up with very efficient, light cabs (BF, and I've had a few of those, too), and I've also ended up with a Walkabout, because I like the sound it makes. As far as volume is concerned, again, the cabs are a huge part of that; the Walkabout's nominally 300w (possibly 400 into 2.67 ohms), and through one or two BF cabs it's deafeningly loud - I used it in an ear-bleedingly loud (yes, I have ACS earplugs) rock band (2 x 100w Marshall 412 guitarists) into one 4 ohm BF cab (a Super Twin), and it never broke a sweat. When we played bigger clubs, I took two cabs along, but it was just overkill, because the PA did all the heavy lifting anyway. It looked good, though...

FWIW, I've had Class ABs that I thought didn't thud properly at high volumes, and Class Ds, too (oddly, the Tonehammer 500 I thought was really anaemic, though it's a very popular amp), but then again I've used in-ears which didn't half thud, and they're tiiiiny... 😁

And of course the steel-spined valve amp chaps are rolling their eyes at this hair-splitting between AB and D, because of course nothing beats tubes... 😉

Interesting. THe TH500 uses the ICEPower 250ASX2 module wheras most bass amp manufacturersuse the 125ASX2 for their 500W amps. The main difference is that the 250ASX2 can deliver 500 watts into 8 or 4 ohm wheras the 125ASX2 gives approx 250 into 8 ohms and 500 into 4 ohms.

Edited by Chienmortbb

On 16/09/2020 at 02:09, agedhorse said:

Sometimes it better to put ego aside and keep your strengths for where they can make the greatest contributions.

@agedhorse you just became my life and career coach as well as my bass guru. 

Can I buy any agedhorse merch??

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, funkydoug said:

@agedhorse you just became my life and career coach as well as my bass guru. 

Can I buy any agedhorse merch??

He's good isn't he. An asset to any forum he joins.

You can buy merch. . . . . . any of the Genz Benz and Mesa Boogie Subway amps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, funkydoug said:
agedhorse said:

Sometimes it better to put ego aside and keep your strengths for where they can make the greatest contributions.

It seems like you took your own advice  based on reception of Amps you designed/engineered 

13 minutes ago, agedhorse said:

Do I see a market for gold plated horse manure?

I would go for one;  if it has a Tube stuck in the middle and not a Digital Chip😀

Edited by Nebadon2000
  • Like 1

On 15/09/2020 at 22:38, Woodinblack said:

Indeed, and I was referring to distortion in amplifiers not in specific bass amplifiers, as a clarification on classes.

There are many hifi amps run as Class A to a reasonable power, and many small class A guitar amps, certainly in the 5W group, such as the small fenders. I have played a 5w bass amp (made by a friend). Personally I think 5w is the perfect size for a guitar amp, the bass amp was too underpowered to work well though. I note there are many people on this thread (and the valve amp thread) that seem to rate low powered valve amps, I suspect they are A/B like the smaller ashdown.

Yes thanks, but cheers for asking.

I didn't notice anyone on here had suggested using a class C amplifier for bass. Maybe for radio!

Anyone got a modeled patch for Vestigal Sideband distortion?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone still interested, I decided not to go class D.

In the end it was between a Handbox R400 (WOT’s demos are great) and the Ashdown ABM.  I know (and love) the ABM really well,  so went with the safe option, also I found myself wanting to go British and support my local shop.

So, I kind of half fulfilled the brief of putting together a lightweight rig!

Id love to try a handbox at some point. Hopefully there will be some events in the future when this COVID crap goes away.

very happy - thanks for your help everyone!

BF1D776E-77DD-43F0-A023-546B66F3782E.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, andy67 said:

Superb turntables! are you playing it through the compact system on the left? If so, you oughta here the Rega with other separates, Wow! :D 

Yes they’re good. I’d love to get some decent hifi stuff but I don’t get to listen to it too much as my kids have taken over the entertainment in the living room.

I mostly listen to stuff on my phone with some decent headphones or in the car

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Yes they’re good. I’d love to get some decent hifi stuff but I don’t get to listen to it too much as my kids have taken over the entertainment in the living room.

I mostly listen to stuff on my phone with some decent headphones or in the car

I know how that feels lol My middle kid, ripped a very expensive cartridge off my Linn Sondek at the time, I fixed it and sold the Linn at that point. However, all three are grown up and I can enjoy the full hifi experience again :D  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...