Why become a member? ×

Facebook banning band videos and live streaming gigs?!

Painy

I think this is aimed more at people who have being streaming other people's material eg DJ sets or playlists.

The press release/announcement that had been most widely shared does not make this clear but there is further detail out there that would suggest that this is not as draconian and nonsensical as it first seems.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Mind you, if they WERE to ban all streaming and posting of videos, then more people would go to gigs. :|

if there were any, which is why bands are doing live streaming, (sorry if I missed the irony) personally I don't like them, nothing like the live gig experience, band vids are good for adverting live gigs, they should be ok especially if it's original materiel.

On a slightly different note, I recently had a track blocked from uploading onto youtube because of copywrite despite there being loads of other tracks on there by the same artist, so maybe they're clamping down on copywrite breaches, not before time really, I've long wondered how youtube get away with it 

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

On a slightly different note, I recently had a track blocked from uploading onto youtube because of copywrite despite there being loads of other tracks on there by the same artist, so maybe they're clamping down on copywrite breaches, not before time really, I've long wondered how youtube get away with it 

YouTube - or more specifically publishers - have been clamping down for ages.

The fewer rubbish videos of 'talented' singers or bands that get put up the better. I cannot bear to watch endless poorly recorded videos of singers singing songs they shouldn't go near or similar with awful bands.

Yeah, I'm miserable but I have no idea why people feel the need to impose themselves on other people? I have a singer friend (who's very good I have to say) performing to her neighbours. I'd be outside with the hose.

Oh man. You only have to check out the dire performances on the Facebook group “the circle” to want to slit your wrists.

But then what’s worse is when you see the interaction, likes, views they get.

Awful video. Awful sound. Awful performances. Seems there is little need to put out anything decent nowadays.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

The article in the OP has been updated with a clarification from Facebook. Selected highlights:

As part of our licensing agreements, there are limitations around the amount of recorded music that can be included in live broadcasts or videos.

There are no limits on things such as music in Stories, or traditional musical performances (e.g. filming a live artist or band performing).

There should always be a visual component to your video; recorded audio should not be the primary purpose of the video

Doesn't sound too different from Twitch, YouTube etc, at least for band purposes.
I'd like to see a statement about soundtracking a video with recorded music that you own the rights to, but I'm guessing that doesn't apply to the majority that they're going after..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

The article in the OP has been updated with a clarification from Facebook. Selected highlights:

Doesn't sound too different from Twitch, YouTube etc, at least for band purposes.
I'd like to see a statement about soundtracking a video with recorded music that you own the rights to, but I'm guessing that doesn't apply to the majority that they're going after..

That sounds much more reasonable. 🙂