Why become a member? ×

Your Favorite Most Played Bass

Lever4Ever

20190323_004607.thumb.jpg.700f6044c8758ce0100e523078c5dac1.jpgI have several quality basses Fender and an an Epiphone upright. However, my favorite most played bass is my 1995 Godin LR Baggs Acoustibass. It's strung with Thomastic-Infeld flatwounds. The action and feel of the neck is remarkable and the sound can be like an upright with the growl and punchy. I've played jazz, soft rock, country, funk and folk with this instrument. This is definitely my go to bass.

20190323_004655.jpg

Edited by Lever4Ever
  • Like 4

That looks really cool! 

I would say, if the chips were down I had to play for my life, I would go with my Bruce Thomas Profile. 

It always used to be my Aria Pro 2 which I've had since I started, but the Profile seems to fit me and I play that little bit better when I use it. 

My fave bass is my black/black/maple US Fender Precision, but it isn’t my most played at present. It has such sentimental value to me that it’s the one bass I’ll never get rid of (unless I have to of course). 

Edit - my most played at present is my black/black/maple US Fender Professional Jazz, due to it fitting the band I’m in better.

Edited by Lozz196

At the moment my home made ash bodied Femder Precision clone.  The pickups are hand modified and the output is mahoosive and im still experimenting with that, but the feel and playability are first class, and that is my most played bass and, until some young upstart new bass comes along, my favourite.

Mine is easily and predictably my old Jazz bass. Nothing has ever come remotely close to it for playability and sound. Every time I record and sneakily try to use another bass, I always get told to just go get the fender 😂
It’s not perfect, and yes, some bits are a bit ‘wonky’,(it always looks WAY wonkier in pictures!?!) But in well over 200 basses owned, this one is the most special by a long long long way!
It’s a 1990 MiJ 60s reissue, the ‘mojo’ to the finish is real not fake, earned from thousands of gigs since I bought it around 1993. It’s all completely original...apart from the neck, pickups, electronics, all the hardware, scratchplate and stripes. And one of the tuning heads. 😂

5BE5E2C3-D35B-4FDC-9C6B-B954949E933B.jpeg

7E67F589-4F86-4202-AE15-609BCBD221EF.jpeg

67A138CF-7EC0-4B77-87CE-C0CDF1A03790.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 5

By virtue of owning it for nearly 18 years this is my most played bass. I love it. Its been through everything with me. It looks a bit out of place, and can sound out of place too if not careful. I've had better quality basses, but there's something about this that means it's the first I want to play. If I'm recording something this is the bass I use. The Kramer Striker fretless 5. A budget bass from the early 2000s but has a nice grittiness to the tone and with flats on it sounds perfect to me. It still gets gigged too. 

FB_IMG_1600341011166.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

By virtue of owning it for nearly 18 years this is my most played bass. I love it. Its been through everything with me. It looks a bit out of place, and can sound out of place too if not careful. I've had better quality basses, but there's something about this that means it's the first I want to play. If I'm recording something this is the bass I use. The Kramer Striker fretless 5. A budget bass from the early 2000s but has a nice grittiness to the tone and with flats on it sounds perfect to me. It still gets gigged too. 

FB_IMG_1600341011166.jpg

Cool pic too.

4 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Cool pic too.

Ta. Was depping for a band with an awesome bassist. I play with the guitarist in my covers band and I just told him "I can't play like him, can I do something completely different?" and they were cool with me playing fretless where they usually have funky triplety finger and thumb style. 

• Like 1

Most played bass is my faithful old Rockinbetter RickenFaker. Most played, because I've had it longer than anything else I own. Bloody good bass too.

Favourite is my relatively new, custom built 4003W-a-like. Beautiful bass, but I haven't played it too much as I've only had it a few months.

My all time favourite is my Status Series 2 Classic but I've mainly been playing my Stingray Special for the last two years.  It would be a difficult choice if I could only own one.  I would probably keep the Status for playability and sentimental reasons, but the Stingray is great to play and sits in the mix better for what I currently do (when we are able to do gigs).

status and stingray.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, gazhowe said:

My all time favourite is my Status Series 2 Classic but I've mainly been playing my Stingray Special for the last two years.  It would be a difficult choice if I could only own one.  I would probably keep the Status for playability and sentimental reasons, but the Stingray is great to play and sits in the mix better for what I currently do (when we are able to do gigs).

status and stingray.JPG

Love that Status Gaz! (And the Berg!)

Mine would be my S2 as well closely followed by my Sadowsky. 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

After I put Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my Danelectro DC (long scale) it has turned into my number one for recording. Unbelievably fat, snarling tone. I've never been a big fan of Danelectro basses before. I've owned and sold quite a few. Never bonded with them. But Danelectro + TI Jazz Flats is an absolutely insane combination (if you can handle the rather low tension Jazz Flats).

The TI Jazz Flats have very smooth highs,  a nice upper mid presence and somewhat restrained lows that compliment the scooped, boomy, harsh sounding Danelectro lipstick pickups perfectly. Anyone who hasn't tried TI Jazz Flats on a Danelectro should DO IT! I would never have expected this to be a winner but I keep choosing my Dano DC over all my MUCH more expensive basses in the studio these days. A total P-bass killer!

With many Danelectro models being short scale it might be worth mentioning that I haven't been nearly as happy with the short scale TI Jazz Flats. They have the same gauges as the long scale set except for the E-string which is much heavier gauge. This causes a drop in tension from E to A that makes them almost unplayable IMO. But Dano long scale + Jazz Flats... possibly my favourite bass tone EVER.

(Sorry for no pics but I don't think a Danelectro DC is quite exotic enough to be bothered. Mine is just the currently sold Korea version, nothing fancy at all.)

Edited by S.F.Sorrow

I like to use all of mine while at home practising, but thinking about it the one I seem to turn to most is an old Marlin Sidewinder.   Its body/neck orientation gives it a comfortable balance.  TBH, it doesn’t sound too bad, either, but I prefer my EB3 when it really matters.

My most played bass at home is either the shuker or my Ibanez EHB, by virtue of me most playing upstairs where they are. The shuker is easiest to get off the wall, but the EHB is much lighter and headless so easier to use in a small room without hitting anything!

If I am downstairs it is either the maruschyk or the the Stick.