Why become a member? ×

Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro’s. What am i missing?

dave_bass5

Thanks!

However I won't be bothering with wireless. Bluetooth puts an unnecessary drain on the batteries IMO, and the lack of wires has no advantage for me. Also last time I was looking at headphones I was specifically warned off wireless as I was told the the latency puts the video and audio out of sync.

Edited by BigRedX

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks!

However I won't be bothering with wireless. Bluetooth puts an unnecessary drain on the batteries IMO, and the lack of wires has no advantage for me. Also last time I was looking at headphones I was specifically warned off wireless as I was told the the latency puts the video and audio out of sync.

My Bose QC35’s last for a good 15 hours, with ANC turned on. 

I have those, Apple AirPod pro’s and two sets of Jaybirds. All wireless and all work fine with my home cinema and iPad/iPhone. The only latency ive ever heard is from Amazon Prime, and thats through ther TV as well as headphones. Most video playback apps/programs will have an adjustment for latency anyway so its easy enough to compensate for if you do notice it. 

Obviously using batteries means you have to charge them, so a bit more hassle than passive wired,  but having ANC is fantastic IME, and the ability to get up and go to the toilet/make coffee etc without having to stop music or film playing is quite liberating. 

13 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks!

I've tried several wireless cans and speakers with my ipad on bluetooth and the latency is horrible. Fine for just music of course, but nasty for anything that needs to be sync'd.

I don't mind ones that have a wired connection option too, but I'll never buy another wireless only model.

49 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've tried several wireless cans and speakers with my ipad on bluetooth and the latency is horrible. Fine for just music of course, but nasty for anything that needs to be sync'd.

I don't mind ones that have a wired connection option too, but I'll never buy another wireless only model.

Strange that we have had very opposite experiences.

• 2 months later...

Just bought some DT770 pro's too and agree, weak midrange and a harsh top end, they are supposed to be fairly bass heavy, but these sound pretty tinny. My Sony XM1000xm2s sound a lot better.

I'm wondering if they were defective then saw your post @dave_bass5 . Out of interest where did you return yours to? I wondered if I got your  returned set!

I got them to go with some edrums I'm getting for xmas, and from what I've read on drumming forums they are highly recommended, so I might wait till Christmas to see if they are any better with them.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:17, BigRedX said:

Since this appears to be the most up-to-date headphone thread I thought I'd post here rather than starting a new one. My Edifier H850s have just failed at the joint between the phone and the headband, which appears to have also damage the cable inside, so they are going back to Amazon for a refund.

So what to replace them with? I liked the sound of the Edifiers, and since they are to be used for listening to music for enjoyment and when watching TV/films on my laptop I don't want anything with a massively increased bass response, as I find these tend to render the dialogue incomprehensible to me. I also want something with a decent (read better than Edifier) build quality.

I got some Edifier H850 last year for Christmas - turned up broken in the same place yours were. Ebay seller refunded and didn't want them back. I ended up fixing with A LOT of electrical tape and they sound ok.
Ended up getting some secondhand AKG K-240-DF which I really like but are 600 ohms so had to buy a wee mixing desk to power them! 

Edited by LukeFRC

On 06/10/2020 at 19:25, Dood said:

I just ran through the post, but I was looking to find out what you were driving your DT770's with? Mine sounded pants with an old Audio interface, simply because the headphone driver was woefully underpowered. (Literally anything USB2 powered is likely to suffer) My latest interface is way more capable and the DT's sound SO much better. 

I've found the same with mine - 80ohms is higher than average so I guess they need a bit more juice. My Focusrite 2i2 just about drives them well enough, but they sound much better through the PJB Bighead. They sound awful through a lesser headphone amp like a Zoom multi FX!

I wasn't bowled over by my DT770s when I first got them, but they either broke in or I got used to them because I love them now. I tried the PJBs out but they didn't come close and felt more like a toy in terms of build quality.

I did get to try out a set of what I think were HD280 Pros once and they sounded amazing - I'd love to pick up a pair to compare. Interestingly this was at a Muse gig where we paid the extra ticket price to gain entry to the 'Muse-eum' where loads of their gear was on display including a guitar and bass hooked up to a headphone rig. There was a big queue to have a go on Matt Bellamy's guitar, but nobody interested in the bass so I had a nice long go on Chris Wolstenholme's Status all to myself!

• Like 1

Just thought I’d update to say I’m still really happy with my AKG’s. I recently got a Yamaha DBR12 and the two are working very well together. I can EQ using the AKG’s and its pretty close to whats coming out of the DBR12. Only used the DBR12 at home so far though. 

• Like 1