Jump to content
petecarlton

Scott's Bass Lessons - enough already!

Recommended Posts

The only issue I have with his videos is the pointless ‘behind the scene’ waffle, often from his car or on the stairs up to his studio, that takes up the first couple of minutes of every video. Just get on with it Scott!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

While we're talking about YT bass educators, what do you make of Adam Neely?

I've only watched a couple of his videos. Neither were about bass playing.

They were interesting, but most of the music theory went over my head.

Edited by ahpook
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I've only watched a couple of his videos. Neither were about bass playing.

They were interesting, but most of the music theory went over my head.

Me too, but they didn't seem to be a sales or marketing thing, or at least not obviously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I've only watched a couple of his videos. Neither were about bass playing.

They were interesting, but most of the music theory went over my head.

I think Adam is great. Very learned. Interesting perspectives.. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, visog said:

I think Adam is great. Very learned. Interesting perspectives.. 

Speaking as an elderly white man, I'm fascinated by his current take on music's domination by the conventions of old white men - just refreshing to have such a well thought through challenge to the perceptions we take for granted.

Probably doesn't improve my bass playing, but it sure as hell improves my approach  to the music I love to listen to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a photo of Scott playing my bass at the bass show a few years back. Thoroughly nice bloke. Exactly as he is on YT. Deserves all the success he has. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The algorithm which decides what ads we'll see must be broken. I seem to get lots of offers for ladies underwear but never SBL. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd never heard of him until I googled him as a result of this thread.  

In 10 minites time ill have forgotten the name.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

The algorithm which decides what ads we'll see must be broken. I seem to get lots of offers for ladies underwear but never SBL. 

Maybe the various algorithms don’t recognise the letter ‘b’ on your computer?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I signed up for one of his competitions once never again the spam and junk with his stuff on was relentless 

Great musician but adverts etc are too aggressive imo put me off joining the academy 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Megadeth Angry Again

 

Edited by Triumph_Rock
Sorry everyone, just realised I somehow posted on this Scott Devine thread, instead of the "What are you listening to thread ". My phone glitches quite bad at times.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he’s an unbelievable player, he’s fantastic at what he does and I love that he’s obviously hugely successful.

I’m full of admiration for him.

The “oh, and one more thing I forgot...” type e-mails nark me a bit. And I get plenty.

It’s very much the nature of the beast - he’s an online marketeer. It doesn’t work on me...but I get that it’s how his operation works.

He’s sort of become the latter day Clarkson era Top Gear of online bass tuition. It’s for the masses and people buy into it big time - he’s successful and people grow to resent the ubiquitousness of it all. Others adore it.

“Like sh*t in a field” As my grandad used to say.

More power to him. Wish I’d thought of it first - as well as Wishing I’d learned to be more theoretically minded rather than my “hit it and see what comes out” method of playing.

I signed up for a free trial and didn’t look at it - I think it was for a competition entry.

I reckon he’s probably a really sound bloke, and I bet I’d find his website useful. But I’m not drawn to it.

He doesn’t offend me, and I should just block his spam. 
 

He’s good at what he does, a very slick operator.

Not for me though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the SBL site and I find his mannerisms toned-down and so more palatable there but yeah his YouTube stuff is pure clickbait. Even though I’m a paying customer, I have unsubscribed from all SBL emails - it’s a quick and painless process.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Scott and I've learned a lot from just his free vids over the years for which I'm thankful. I don't mind him popping up everywhere I go online - it does remind me to get my derrière "in the shed" more often instead of just looking at gear to buy that I don't need! I'll probably sign up for the academy eventually.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I subscribed to his YT content and even signed up to free bit of the academy.

 

That was a few years back, never heard a peep from him since 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think he’s an unbelievable player, he’s fantastic at what he does and I love that he’s obviously hugely successful.

I’m full of admiration for him.

The “oh, and one more thing I forgot...” type e-mails nark me a bit. And I get plenty.

It’s very much the nature of the beast - he’s an online marketeer. It doesn’t work on me...but I get that it’s how his operation works.

He’s sort of become the latter day Clarkson era Top Gear of online bass tuition. It’s for the masses and people buy into it big time - he’s successful and people grow to resent the ubiquitousness of it all. Others adore it.

“Like sh*t in a field” As my grandad used to say.

More power to him. Wish I’d thought of it first - as well as Wishing I’d learned to be more theoretically minded rather than my “hit it and see what comes out” method of playing.

I signed up for a free trial and didn’t look at it - I think it was for a competition entry.

I reckon he’s probably a really sound bloke, and I bet I’d find his website useful. But I’m not drawn to it.

He doesn’t offend me, and I should just block his spam. 
 

He’s good at what he does, a very slick operator.

Not for me though.

At least you're not sitting on the fence...

I just find his style irritating.  I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all but.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stewblack said:

I seem to get lots of offers for ladies underwear but never SBL.

Stew: Of the one's that you've purchased as a result, do any of them fit? 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

At least you're not sitting on the fence...

I just find his style irritating.  I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all but.

Yup. Same here. He irritates the #@£* out of me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stewblack said:

The algorithm which decides what ads we'll see must be broken. I seem to get lots of offers for ladies underwear but never SBL. 

Sounds perfect. I'm much more interested in the contents of those than the content of Scott's videos. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

At least you're not sitting on the fence...

I just find his style irritating.  I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all but.

I get the splinters out of my backside with tweezers 😉😂

I didn’t feel the need to attack him and I honestly do admire anyone who can make a living off doing what they love.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the Hate for Scott and SBL.

I've met Scott a few times - LBGS - and he's a really nice bloke - he even remembered me the second time we met.

He's giving you free access to his time, his knowledge and experience - nobody's forcing you to sit and watch his videos - and most of us benefit from watching them. IMO He's a great tutor and makes learning easy and enjoyable.

I wish that there was a resource like him/SBL when I started playing.

Some people here need to give him a break.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...