Why become a member? ×

Scott's Bass Lessons - enough already!

petecarlton

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Some people here need to give him a break.

In actual fact, the reason for this topic is that the OP needs to be given a break from him.

By the way, I'm not anti.  I know he's a member here and I respect his skills and experience.  It's just his style of delivery that rankles.  It's not for everyone.

I'm not bothered by the regular pop-ups advertising his SBL academy and other than Mark 'Talking Bass' Smith he's my go to for tips esp on slap techniques . SD's a very good and affable tutor and I like his peripheral stuff e.g. his chats with bass greats but for my money there's no online bass educator better than Mark Smith. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm not bothered by the regular pop-ups advertising his SBL academy and other than Mark 'Talking Bass' Smith he's my go to for tips esp on slap techniques . SD's a very good and affable tutor and I like his peripheral stuff e.g. his chats with bass greats but for my money there's no online bass educator better than Mark Smith. 

Totally agree, and I much prefer Marks straight down to business approach as well, with no needless filler and waffle. 

I'm not saying Scott isn't a great musician, or a great teacher. He's just not my cup of tea. You can't please everyone. 

29 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Totally agree, and I much prefer Marks straight down to business approach as well, with no needless filler and waffle. 

I'm not saying Scott isn't a great musician, or a great teacher. He's just not my cup of tea. You can't please everyone. 

I think Scot has probably put the majority of instructional information on YouTube that he’s ever going to.

so videos now are purely entertainment, or rehashing of existing content. And of course encouraging people to look at his site.

i still enjoy it regardless. I regularly watch Scot, Rick Beato, and guitar pilgrim. If I want to learn a technique I’m more likely to watch mark or josh fosgreen (the older channel) or an old Scot video

20 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Use Firefox in private mode as your browser and install the adblock plus plug-in. Don’t sign into anything google own unless you have to and, if you have to, restart your browser after you are done with them.

And use DuckDuckGo for searching then Google can't track you(tube).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

In actual fact, the reason for this topic is that the OP needs to be given a break from him.

By the way, I'm not anti.  I know he's a member here and I respect his skills and experience.  It's just his style of delivery that rankles.  It's not for everyone.

I suspect most of his business comes from the US as he always quotes prices in UD Dollars and they like that shouty fast inyaface type of delivery. I must admit it slightly rankles with me but his videos are good.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I don't get the Hate for Scott and SBL.

I've met Scott a few times - LBGS - and he's a really nice bloke - he even remembered me the second time we met.

He's giving you free access to his time, his knowledge and experience - nobody's forcing you to sit and watch his videos - and most of us benefit from watching them. IMO He's a great tutor and makes learning easy and enjoyable.

I wish that there was a resource like him/SBL when I started playing.

Some people here need to give him a break.

I don't think there is any hate as everyone agrees he is a fantastic musician and those who have met him say he's a right nice bloke I think the problem is it can be a tad annoying getting spammy emails etc I think it's great he is making a good living at what he does and wish him all the best sadly he's just not really my cup of tea 👍

• Like 2

All a bit deja vu this conversation.

A couple (?) of years ago  a similar topic was opened and Scott came on and posted  a detailed and clear video explanation as to the  reasons why he has to resort to the type of notifications  and clickbait that may annoy/irritate some people. He said that basically unless he did it, his posts and content would be lost due to the way the YT algorithm works. He even showed how his hits had declined and what he had to do to bring them back up again.

So, if you don't like his stuff, either unsubscribe or don't open them as they pop up. ( and yes, I do get a bit irritated when he has a closing date for a deal which then gets extended due to possibly spurious reasons!)

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SBL has certainly changed a lot since I first started following it (I think around 2014). When I first joined the academy it was quite a small operation. I stopped being as active with the bass for a while and tuned out for a few years. When I got back into it again his videos seemed to have taken a different focus. His gear collection has certainly grown a lot and he seems to wear a Panerai these days so he's clearly doing something right!

I think the marketing is just a result of how successful his business has become. He has a team of people who manage a lot of that these days and they'll be marketing to get the most out of the different platforms he's on. The followup emails to campaigns are a bit much for me but that's easy enough to manage with email settings.

I haven't met Scott but he seems like a genuinely nice guy and he's a great musician and educator. The amount of content he gives out for free is really great and my bass playing has definitely benefited a lot from being a member of his academy, though I definitely don't get the best I could out of it these days.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2020 at 18:46, Greg Edwards69 said:

The only issue I have with his videos is the pointless ‘behind the scene’ waffle, often from his car or on the stairs up to his studio, that takes up the first couple of minutes of every video. Just get on with it Scott!

I just skip those bits, although you don't really get that in the actual lessons. Even in those there can be a lot of waffle though, but skipping is easy enough. And its just enthusiasm, i mean he is genuinely enthusiastic and when you meet him, he is just the same so it is not a put on thing.

I can understand why people find it irritating, but I have learned more from his videos than pretty well anything, so I am happy to cut him as much slack as it needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Even the video explaining why he waffles is half an hour of waffle. 😂

Thanks for posting. I'd not seen that before, and fair play to Scott for taking the time to respond. 

Scott was far more accommodating and diplomatic than I would have been, given the utterly crass behaviour of some in that particular thread 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

I don't think there is any hate as everyone agrees he is a fantastic musician and those who have met him say he's a right nice bloke I think the problem is it can be a tad annoying getting spammy emails etc I think it's great he is making a good living at what he does and wish him all the best sadly he's just not really my cup of tea 👍

Exactly that.  Great player, and I'm sure hes a nice chap, but his approach, musical style and methods simply don't tug my rug.

There are far more irksome pop-up ads on YT than Scott's. Also it's a business and you have to maintain a constant presence on YT to ensure regular income from ads. I haven't signed up to his academy as he's put out a lot of good free material, which is enough for my needs being that now I'm just a hobby player.  So fair play to him to find ways of guaranteeing himself a decent income for his family.

• Like 2

I've read again all my posts in the aforementioned thread. Strange to see that I was direct and never insulting, as usual, but some people seized the opportunity to talk their filth.

I explained clearly my position, why I was upset and cleared all I wrote, but it remained non understood by a lot including the one who was the most concerned.

Now, I think it would be a good idea to close this new thread before it goes again in the wrong direction.

@ped : It's up to you.

I don't see any reason to lock - Scott is a lovely bloke and a bass playing legend - if you're sick of his ads then it's your fault for being on the internet! lol! (Not aimed at anyone specifically)

I welcome bass related adverts of any type, especially compared to the new breed of 'in it together' type TV ads for other stuff.

Cheers

• Like 3